PDA

View Full Version : YFZ shocks for 700

roc64
09-18-2006, 09:36 AM
I hear that this is a worthwhile upgrade? I am a aggressive rider and weigh about 200#'s os so, depending on the day:D. Will I be happy with this mod and will I have to do anything to level out the bike. or will it remain the same height? Thanks

aaronqjones
09-18-2006, 02:44 PM
They will lower it a tad in the front and handle waaaaaaaay better than the stockers.

I just did my 660 this weekend, handles great, lowered aboot an inch. If that. I had to do some grinding to get mine on, but I beleive they are direct for you.

roc64
09-18-2006, 10:21 PM
so I will probably need to lower tha back a bit also, huh?

aaronqjones
09-19-2006, 05:40 AM
I can't speak for the 700, but I did not with my 660. I am not sure what is different and what is the same between the two. If it makes that much of a difference, go ahead and lower it in the rear too. But you shouldn't have a problem.

alex d
10-03-2006, 07:07 AM
aaronjones,

I'm in the process now installing a set of 450 yfz shocks unto my 02 66o raptor. Your right , it seems like some grinding work is needed. I not familiar with the adjustments on these shocks, what do you recommmend the settings should be for a 190-195 lbs rider, mostly trailing riding mostly. (how many clicks top and bottom adjustment?) Any help would be appreciated.

THanks alexd (guam)

aaronqjones
10-03-2006, 07:25 AM
Hey Alex, I am not sure of the adjustments, I have read a few things on raptorforum regarding the adjustments. I have not got mine set yet at all. I went to the Hatfield McCoy trails this weekend with what i thought would be a good setup, I was wrong, I ended up turning the resevoir screw all the way left to soften them up. I would like to get a pro to do it for me. check out http://www.raptorforum.com/index.php/board,4.0.html

alex d
10-03-2006, 05:32 PM
aaronjones,

I tried to install the shocks today. I noticed that the top mount bracket needs a little grinding. But also noticed on the lower bracket needs more grinding. also I guess a hole need to be cut, because the shock is hitting the a arm. Whats the best procedure for this. Thanks for any input.

alex

aaronqjones
10-04-2006, 05:40 AM
I used the step by step on the raptorforum. Here it is. I found this to be very very helpful.
This is the wite up, the pics that go along with it can be found here: http://www.raptorforum.com/index.php/topic,564.0.html

Everyone knows throwing a set of YFZ450 front shocks on the Raptor is the ultimate suspension mod for those that don't want to break the bank, even I do, hence the next mod! I found a used set of 04 front shocks from www.yfzcentral.com[/u] for $120 shipped, I was sold. They arrived within 4 days. Thanks yfz guy whose forum name I forgot! Removing the stock shocks was simple enough, jack up the front end and loosen the bolts. As for installing the 450 shocks, there’s a little bit of modding to be done. First thing you need to do is grind a tiny bit off the top brackets so they fit properly without any rubbing.

Since the yfz shocks are a little longer then the stock you have to cut out a small square in the a-arms to allow the 450 shocks to fit. I took a drill and bored my way through the center upping the bit size each time making the hole big enough for me to fit a grinder in there to square off the hole. This was relatively simple but you may run into problems without the proper tools.

Most installs I’ve seen grind off a bit of the a-arm bracket to allow the shock to fit, I decided to grind off the shock instead leaving the bracket with more metal/strength. You can also grind off some of the bottom part of the shock to avoid having to drill through the a-arms as well.

After that they should bolt up just fine and be ready to ride! There's no doubt about it these shocks work awesome for the raptor and make the ride much better whether you're racing mx or riding the trails.
I give the YFZ450 front shocks a 4...out of 5 [/i]

Quote from: doubt on September 02, 2005, 07:24:21 PM