PDA

View Full Version : 400ex carb troubles

hontr35
09-17-2006, 09:01 PM
First of all, I have pretty much read all the jetting and carb threads I could, but nothing seems to be working. I have a 99 ex but the needle valve seat took a crap so I bought a brand spanking new 05/06 carb. I have a WB E series slip on with 7 discs in, a K&N filter with outwears cover and thats it. I have a 150k mainjet and a 42 pilot jet. The air/fuel screw turned out 2.5 times. I want to run with the air lid on because of all the water and mud that I ride in. But with this combination it wouldn't run very good actually burped and sputtered at half to full throttle. So I took off the lid and runs alot better but nowhere near like it should. Is the 05/06 carb that much different then the 99/04? Is the air/fuel screw to far out/in? And what the heck kind of "tool" do you use to turn that screw in/out? It doesn't have an actual screw head. Any and all help is appreciated, Thanks

2muchquad
09-18-2006, 09:49 PM
It sounds like your running rich.Try a smaller main and possibly raising the clip a notch on the needle.;)

hontr35
09-18-2006, 11:41 PM
Thanks I'll try that. I should of checked the spark plug but haven't had the time yet.