PDA

View Full Version : valve lash issues

00tn300ex
09-17-2006, 08:51 PM
ok My 300ex has about 10 hours on the rebuild now and i have had to adjust the valves 4 times.they seem to keep strecthing till they are so tight it wont start.I know with the new valves they will stretch some but i didnt think this much.It has a white brothers cam in it,but i dont know which one it is because it was in there when i bought it.the first time i set on .002intake .003 exhaust,second and third was .004 for both sides.last time i set on .006 both sides and it lasted about an hour and a half of hard riding.i think i might set on .007 and .009 this time and see what happens. Anye thoughts or experiences?

bwamos
09-18-2006, 07:11 AM
Should be 0.004" intake and exhaust.

How tight are you setting it with the feelers in there. You should have a fairly loose fit with just a bit of friction. If you're overtightening it's just pushing the valves down, so you dont get a good setting.

dork
09-18-2006, 06:41 PM
as long as you're checking on tdc, then the valves are cupping. is it on intake and exhaust, and what springs are you running?

00tn300ex
09-18-2006, 07:57 PM
bwamos.im setting them so the feeler has just a little fritcion on it.ill pull it slowly through entil i feel just a little resistance i am setting them on tdc i dont know what springs they are my mechanic and I figured they were factory but they might be hd springs im gonna try it one more time and put a little blue loctie on them just to make sure the nut isnt working its way tight its either that or the valves have almost pulled through the head. one more time if it screws up again ill pull the head and take a look thanks for the input