PDA

View Full Version : Head question

wykyd z400
09-17-2006, 07:00 PM
I just got an R. It has an 88 bottom end, with an 86 piston/cylinder/spacer plate. It also has a cool heads head. I want to know if I can swap the cool heads head, for a stock head. Will it work with the 86 top end mated to the 88 bottom??

86 Quad R
09-18-2006, 08:54 AM
it really all depends.............

you need to know what is going on with the current piston to deck height clearance. does the piston extend out of the top of the cylinder or does it fall below? if so, how much?

bottom line here is that you need to know what the relationship is between the cool head you have now to the crank, rod, piston, cylinder and spacer plate versus the stock head your wanting to put on there.

it's also important to know what cc chamber the cool head now has. its not a simple matter of just removing the current head and bolting another on.

some machining may be required and/or there are different gasket thicknesses that can be used depending on what some of the specifics are with the present setup.

wykyd z400
09-18-2006, 08:59 AM
Oh, I see.....:( I just got the R, so I have no clue about whats in there LOL...Reason I asked, is because the guy just had new studs, and a head gasket put on it. When he came to deliver the R, I was test riding it, and it was seeping a lil coolant by the front of the head. He snugged up the bolts a lil more. I thought it stopped, but next ride a few days later, it was seeping again. I just tightened it more, as tight as possible, and it still seeps. Maybe since the bolts werent tight enough, and it seeped once, its gonna keep seeping until the gasket is again replaced?? Maybe a new gasket, with some spray on copper sealer?? Thanks for your time, as its greatly appreciated.

86 Quad R
09-18-2006, 09:13 AM
remove the head and see what head gasket is on there now. a thick paper, a 3 peice thick metal or a thin single metal. if its the thick paper gasket then i suggest replacing it with the 3 peice metal. if its the thin single then i say clean it up REAL good and apply a coat on it and re-install. good luck with it.

rooster300ex
09-18-2006, 09:36 AM
Why would you want a stock head over a cool heads head? I'm not criticizing i'm just wondering cuz I don't know

wykyd z400
09-18-2006, 09:46 AM
Because I was thinking that maybe the coolheads was the cause?? Maybe it wasnt perfectly smooth on the gasket surface, or warped??I am new to 2 strokes LOL.