PDA

View Full Version : help 300ex motor funky please help

toby400ex
08-31-2002, 08:56 PM
today i went for about a 4 hour ride noticed i was almost out of gas put it on reserve and then i gunned it home but all it did was sputter above half throtle, when i got home i filled her up then i noticed my engine steaming then the floor was covered in a liquid from the quad and then i sniffed it and it was gas. i went to look at the carb and no the leek wasnt there and then looked at the petcock and a giant nut that held it to the tank was loose. i tightened it ,the leek stopped. then i went out to the trails and on the way there it sputtered above half throttle. went home found out one of the tubes that goes from the filter to the carb was off, i knew that wasnt good. we and a buddy sprayed in some carb cleaner and replced the plug it still was the same. then we took the jet out it didnt seem to be that dirty except for a tiny bit of rust, which i dont think caused anything. put the jet back in, but it acted the same. tomorrow i will take out the carb drain the gas, in case if it is bad and clean the carb completely. please tell me if i am doing something wrong and if you have had this problem tell me what you did to fix it. please dont tell me i ruined the motor, i just got a new front end!:confused:

ridered86
08-31-2002, 09:22 PM
my fuel on off valve did that to me when i had my 250x. it leaked gas everywhere, just tighten the valve up to the tank,it screws on with a rubber washer. i bet its loose and as for the sputtering that was prob the cause and it was sucking in air instead of fuel from the leak. (check the valve under the tank)