PDA

View Full Version : Nikasil coating????where can i get it done

albi0609
09-17-2006, 05:56 PM
i just baught a duncan 305pv from a friend and it has a little ding inside the cylinder .....where can i get it recoated that not expensive and doesnt take forever to get done.....or can i just bore it over?i dont know anything about nikasil so any info you guys have i would really appreciate .

thanks
albert

wilkin250r
09-17-2006, 06:09 PM
You CANNOT just get it bored over.

Most cylinders are made of aluminum, with an iron sleeve. The reason for the iron sleeve is because aluminum is just too soft. The piston travels up and down several thousand times a minute, it would chew up aluminum really quickly.

Nikasil is different. It's just a coating, so it's fairly thin, but it's extremely hard. You can coat it over aluminum and eliminate the iron sleeve (actually, you replace it with an aluminum sleeve, and then Nikasil coat over all of it). The aluminum sleeve gives much better thermal performance, fewer problems, and the Nikasil will actually last longer than an iron sleeve.

If you bore it out, you bore through the nikasil, leaving only bare aluminum underneath. That obviously wouldn't work out.

If I were you, I would talk to Duncan, and find out who they go through. Chances are, because Duncan isn't doing the work themselves, it won't sit on their shelves waiting for other projects, and you could get it pushed through quickly.

albi0609
09-17-2006, 06:22 PM
my friend just called recently to re-nikasil his cyclinder and they told him a couple of week cuz they all backed up or w/e he ask they wher else to do it , and they said they were the only 1'swho do nikasil coating ...which is bs ...i dont have a couple of weeks i have 1 week to get this done ill even express mail it to who ever...

DPR250R
09-17-2006, 06:48 PM
http://www.mt-llc.com/technology/index.shtml

http://www.usnicom.com/

These are the two most popular places... most tuners send their cylinders to one of these shops

I think you have to strip the cylinder (remove the powervalve) before shipping...

Rich250RRacer
09-17-2006, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by DPR250R

http://www.usnicom.com/

These are the two most popular places... most tuners send their cylinders to one of these shops

I think you have to strip the cylinder (remove the powervalve) before shipping...

The second link (US Chrome) has quick service and they stand behind their work. I just had them Nikasil a stock cylinder that I really like the porting on. It will probably cost about $160-170 for a re-Nik, maybe more, depending on if it needs bored to true it up.

250r4life
09-18-2006, 12:17 AM
ive used US chrome and had good success... i dont think youre going to get it done anywhere in 1 week though... good luck on that one...

and yes, Duncan is full of crap on a lot of things... i dont particularly like Duncan and wouldnt go back to them if i was to do it over again...

DezSled
09-18-2006, 12:51 AM
usnicom.com - us chrome, their latest ad in dirt rider mag says that they can plate cast iron

ERBE
09-18-2006, 07:37 AM
Try Millennium Technologies talk to Kurt.

Rich250RRacer
09-18-2006, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by DezSled
usnicom.com - us chrome, their latest ad in dirt rider mag says that they can plate cast iron

I've had mine done. My cylinder would have had to go to .080 to clean up, but they can take your cast iron to whatever size you want, so I stuck with the .050 that it was at. It came out really well, but there is a much higher chance of the Nikasil pitting when applied over cast iron.

albi0609
09-18-2006, 10:37 PM
i just noticed that the cylinder also has a hairline crack by one of the ports ....do the nikasil cover or fix that?so far the ceapest i can kind to fix it is 220+ shipping both ways .is it worth to fix the powervalve or what ?ive only run stock cylinders...?

250r4life
09-18-2006, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by albi0609
i just noticed that the cylinder also has a hairline crack by one of the ports ....do the nikasil cover or fix that?so far the ceapest i can kind to fix it is 220+ shipping both ways .is it worth to fix the powervalve or what ?ive only run stock cylinders...?

whats wrong with the powervalve?

yes they will touch up the ports if they got chewed up... they weld what needs to be, bore it, and recoat it...

C-LEIGH RACING
09-19-2006, 05:13 PM
How bad is that crack, where is it located in the cylinder.
Neil

albi0609
09-19-2006, 07:57 PM
lol icalled duncan this morning for a quote to fix it and a new piston ..and it wasnt that bad untill they told me there turn around time .....5weeks 250$ for the nikasil (not includeing welding) and 150$ for the piston ...so i talkto the people at U.S CROME AND TOLD THEM MY PROB THERE GONNA FIX THE CRACK ,PORTING, AND THE NIKASIL FOR 219$ SO I JUST BAUGHT THE PISTON FROM DUNCAN AND TOLD THEM TO SHIP IT DIRECTLY TO US CROME.....IT WAS A MISSION BUT I GOT IT DONE ...THE PISTON WAS SHIPPED 2DAY THE CYLINDER IM SEND OUT 2MORROW .....AND ONE MORE THING DO I SEND THEM THE DOME CAN THEY FIX THAT 2? CUZ A NEW DOME IS 160$ AND I DONT GOT THAT???????? WELL THANKS ALOT GUY IF ANY OF U GUYS NEED ANYTHING FROM PARTS UNLIMITED ILL HOOK IT UP WITH 15% OFF ANYTHING THEY GOT .

rrguy
09-20-2006, 12:19 AM
Just as well call them to see if they can repair the dome. Here is a place I had good luck with. http://www.langcourt.com/

I would trust Millennium Technologies for installing the alloy sleeve. Looks like they charge $69 to repair 2 stroke head.

250r4life
09-20-2006, 12:45 AM
domes are only 60 bucks with duncan

albi0609
09-20-2006, 05:29 AM
THRY TOLF ME ITS SOME CUSTOMDOME SO IT 150+SHIPPING

rrguy
09-20-2006, 08:08 AM
I would ask around. I don't see why just cause its a performance head, why it would cost any more to repair?

C-LEIGH RACING
09-20-2006, 09:21 AM
lol icalled duncan this morning for a quote to fix it and a new piston ..and it wasnt that bad untill they told me there turn around time .....5weeks 250$ for the nikasil (not includeing welding) and 150$ for the piston ...so i talkto the people at U.S CROME AND TOLD THEM MY PROB THERE GONNA FIX THE CRACK ,PORTING, AND THE NIKASIL FOR 219$ SO I JUST BAUGHT THE PISTON FROM DUNCAN AND TOLD THEM TO SHIP IT DIRECTLY TO US CROME.....IT WAS A MISSION BUT I GOT IT DONE ...THE PISTON WAS SHIPPED 2DAY THE CYLINDER IM SEND OUT 2MORROW .....AND ONE MORE THING DO I SEND THEM THE DOME CAN THEY FIX THAT 2? CUZ A NEW DOME IS 160$ AND I DONT GOT THAT???????? WELL THANKS ALOT GUY IF ANY OF U GUYS NEED ANYTHING FROM PARTS UNLIMITED ILL HOOK IT UP WITH 15% OFF ANYTHING THEY GOT .

15% off from Parts Unlimited, look in the catolog & PM me a price on a pair of Duro rear 18X11X8 flat track tires, they look like Hoosiers.
Thanks Neil

250r4life
09-20-2006, 12:28 PM
THRY TOLF ME ITS SOME CUSTOMDOME SO IT 150+SHIPPING

i just had a custom dome made from duncan for $100

albi0609
09-20-2006, 02:49 PM
u have a 265 pv i guess its more for the 305pv . I sent everything this morn i guess we'll see how good the plating at us crome is?

Neil- i can only get whats in the catalog if ther in ther ill get u the price 2nite when i get home....... i didnt c any flat track tires but ill check a couple time

C-LEIGH RACING
09-20-2006, 08:50 PM
They should be in there, they were back in spring 06.
Thanks Neil

7 speed
09-20-2006, 09:26 PM
Does no one know about Max Power?