PDA

View Full Version : 416, 440, 460 What is the difference

kurtdsmith13
09-17-2006, 05:41 PM
416, 440, 460 What are the differences. I know you can bore motors and things, but Why not just go as big as possible if your gonna have it sent out any way. I thought you could only go .30 over any how. Or is a 416 just a bigger carb . I was just interested.

CHEVYZ
09-17-2006, 06:09 PM
On the 416, you just bore out the kanooter valve. On the 440, you have to add a pink rod, which in turn changes the displacement. On the 460, you take out the wheelie sensor which opens up the engine another 20cc's giving up to 40 and a half more horsepower.:eek2: For all of them you are gonna need a pink powerband! :D

Haha, naw, just kidding. The 440, 416, etc. represents the displacement... though it is kinda rough on the examples as they aren't really as claimed. For example, what can be claimed as a 440 is really more like a 435. The 460 is a stroker... though you can make 440 strokers, and many others. Displacement is not influenced by the carb at all.

You don't always want to just go as big as possible. Displacement does not necessarily make power, it is how the bike is built ver-all. Different bore sizes have their pros and cons. Larger bores are usually harder to keep together, and most will rev slower... as an example with the 400EX.

wilkin250r
09-17-2006, 06:32 PM
Almost any motorcycle engine can be bored at least 0.080" over, or 2mm over. Some can go more.

The limit on a 400EX is 3mm over, which give you a 88mm piston. Combined with the stock 70mm stroke, this gives 426cc.

However, that's only the limit on the STOCK sleeve. If you press it out, and put a new sleeve in, you can go bigger. A 440 kit is an 89mm piston.

That's still not the upper limit, however. On many quads, you can get even bigger sleeves than the cases will allow. You have to machine the cases to accept the bigger sleeve (common in big-bore 250r motors), and you can also increase the length of the stroke by modifying the crankshaft. This is typically a very expensive modification, but it's possible to get over 500cc from the 400EX engine.

But, like Chevy said, bigger isn't always better. Many race circuits have displacement limits. Budget can also play a factor, obviously a simple 416 on the stock sleeve will me much less expensive (couple hundred bucks) than a re-sleeve and crankshaft modifications (Couple thousand bucks). And then there is the simple fact that some engines work better in certain RPM ranges, and some are more reliable than others.