PDA

View Full Version : 6 hours OH Stories

SwainRacing
09-17-2006, 05:17 PM
Well I would like to thank ATV Scene and Krash Racing for putting on a great event! There was not a very good turn out for the race though, with only a total of 10 teams showing up. There were 4 kids running the 1.5 hour race in the morning, which I thought was a good turn out for once. The kids did great!

Number of entries in each Class:
1 - ATV A class
3 - ATV B class
3 - IRONMAN
2 - Vet 30+
1 - Utility Expert

We got to the track about 3:30 Friday afternoon. It was about a 7 hour drive for us. It was my daughter and I. We parked the trailer and talked to the Land owner and the ATV Scene guys. They said it had rained all day Tuesday and Wednesday but was nice Thursday until the evening and then it poured again!

The track was just about a 4 mile course. It took about 2 hours to walk. The owner said every one calls it a rollercoaster track. Well they got that right. A lot of smaller hills with some very challenging off cambers and one off camber with a tree in the way! Well someone got out there with a chain saw at one point and took out the tree. There was a lot of water lying around, and the track did rut out some, but it didn’t get as bad as I thought it was going to.

I was one of the IRONMAN Teams (Swain Racing #725). I would like to thank all the guys that helped us out on our pit stops! Could not have done it with out your help!

Well we lined up and started on time if not a little early. Gun shot went off and there was a scramble to the quads! I finally got my TRX to fire on 1 kick and got a good start. By the 5th corner I was in 4th place over all and 1st in the IRONMAN Class. Not sure when, but while going by the pits, my daughter held up the pit board and I was 3rd over all!

About 1.5 hour in to the race I came down on of the hills and some how twisted my back and got a real sharp pain and could barley stand. Got back to the pits got some back pain medicine, fueled up and some clean goggles and gloves. After a few laps my back loosened up and I was good to go!

On the start of the 15th lap I got about 3/4 mile in to the course and found my self flying through the air over the bars. At first I thought my left front brake locked up! After picking myself off the ground and getting back the quad, I found I had lost the lower ball joint nut and the bottom left A-Arm fell off the spindle and got in-between the wheel and the rotor. This is what locked up the wheel. Sitting there thinking I was done for the day, a few riders stopped and asked if I was ok and said they would send help. After a few minutes, a course worker was there and took me back to get some tools to fix it. Once I got the front wheel off I saw that the rotor was trashed. Took of the caliper and put it al back together and ran with only the right front brake. I was down for 45 minutes, but was still in the lead and I think I had dropped to 5th over all. I was amazed I was still this high and in the lead.
With about 45 minutes left in the race I had started to tire a little and I was slowing down. I finished the race at a slower pace and still did 21 laps, claming 1st place in the IRONMAN Class and 5th over all. The over all winner did 26 laps. If I would not have broken down, I know I could have had 2 or 3 more laps.

I only have the over all scoring sheet that was from lap 21, so I am not sure of what team won the over all. My memory is not good with names and after running 6 hour by myself, I was too tired to remember much of anything.

Not sure what lap it was on, but me and another IRONMAN (Woolford) were having a great time battling at good pace. I came up behind him and was right on him. Then I got around him and he was pushing me for a long time.

Well all in all we had a GREAT time and met up with some old friends from the 6 hour races last year. It was good seeing you all again. I hope I can do all the races next year. Thanks again to ATV Scene and Krash Racing for putting on a great race! The plaques that were given out are real nice too. It has a photo of you or your team on it with the 6 Hour logo and event name on it.

That’s my story for this race.
Swain Racing #725

TRXman86
09-23-2006, 11:45 PM
Congrats on your win. Very nice write up as well. Nice photo/plaque also.