PDA

View Full Version : new cam or port and polish?

Z4004life
09-17-2006, 03:36 PM
i have a Z400 with a yosh exhaust and other upgrades and i was wondering if i would get bigger gains by getting a new cam or getting it ported and polished?

prepracing
09-17-2006, 04:15 PM
save your money and do them both for the best performance gain

Toadz400
09-17-2006, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by prepracing
save your money and do them both for the best performance gain

He's right. Or you could actually save the port and polish for last as you can have the engine builder do the right port and polish to compliment all your other engine and intake/exhaust mods.

wilkin250r
09-17-2006, 05:55 PM
Porting isn't going to give you any meaningful gains without a camshaft and piston. The engineers at Suzuki aren't stupid, the stock porting is ideal for the stock engine.

A big-bore will push and pull more air through the engine. A camshaft will typically increase top-end power (depending on the design) and give better performance at higher revs. When you have these mods, THEN you want to think about porting, to increase the available airflow and allow the engine to breath better at those higher revs.

You definitely want to get a camshaft before porting, or get them done at the same time. Getting the porting done first is just ridiculous.

09-18-2006, 08:33 AM
A lot of people wish they didn't ported and polished their motor cause some times you get slugish power.

stocktires
09-18-2006, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Porting isn't going to give you any meaningful gains without a camshaft and piston. The engineers at Suzuki aren't stupid, the stock porting is ideal for the stock engine.

A big-bore will push and pull more air through the engine. A camshaft will typically increase top-end power (depending on the design) and give better performance at higher revs. When you have these mods, THEN you want to think about porting, to increase the available airflow and allow the engine to breath better at those higher revs.

You definitely want to get a camshaft before porting, or get them done at the same time. Getting the porting done first is just ridiculous.

Agreed