PDA

View Full Version : PISS on honda!!

woodsracer420
09-17-2006, 02:33 PM
well, my 05 lock up tighter than fort knox last night. about half throttle in 5 gear when it started to loose power then it just died. Thats the 3rd one in 2 months in my area, not counting an 06 with the HRC kit, and one 06 that lost 5th gear. I use to be a loyal honda owner, but no more, they've lost all my respect!

CHEVYZ
09-17-2006, 02:54 PM
Damn... do you live in a bad area or something? LOL.
I have an 05 and 06 and haven't had any problems. I ride with a ton of other guys with them... and they haven't had any problems. Strange how it works.

JW450R1
09-17-2006, 02:59 PM
think about it man.do u really want to jump ship.those mint ltr450 owners are breaking their rear shocks.that would really hurt comming off a mx jump

AtvKid4Eva
09-17-2006, 03:04 PM
Well its probably lack of maintenance not honda :rolleyes:

JJ69
09-17-2006, 03:18 PM
so start taking care of your damn bikes.
i know 3 or 4 people who do the regular maintenance, oil, etc, and their 04's-06's never have a problem..
its idiots who dont take care of their bikes that have troubles, and they deserve them.

450rJam
09-17-2006, 03:28 PM
he tried to sell it two months ago for 3700. he has been racing it for over a year and wants to piss on honda now ?
in his add it stated "never had dnf"
sounds like he had a pretty relieable 450 at one time.
Im guessing maint. issues as well.

Flodies400ex
09-17-2006, 04:08 PM
you just dont no how to ride because i never heard crap like that and you just need learn how to ride lol and I have never had problems on my hondas

Phills450r
09-17-2006, 05:05 PM
maybe your "area" should learn how to ride or something because everyone I know has a strong running honda. mine is an 04 and I have raced the piss out of it and it runs fine for me.. 2 years now. learn to ride you pos and if you have a problem w/ honda then go buy something else and watch it break to

DEAL
09-17-2006, 05:57 PM
it doesn't matter which one you buy ..
I've seen them all blow up even with regular maintence..
Its finally happend, Honda is just as unreliable as the rest, the days of the big red and 300 4x4 are over.
Yfzs have problems..
450rs have problems..
Ltrs have problems..

coryatver
09-17-2006, 06:00 PM
the honda 450r is a 450cc 4 stroke making almost 50 hp! a honda 300 makes like 16! of course it is more reliable. These things haul you got to pay to play.

mx1791
09-17-2006, 06:02 PM
my naighbor blew his engine last month and his dad took such good care of the bike, it was an 04. but he got 2 years outta the engine, and he raced it, so its not hondas fualt, it wasnt anyones fualt i guess, the engine was worn out.

Flodies400ex
09-17-2006, 06:07 PM
if you dont like riding bikes or atvs then get the fn off these forums lol what a noob and I bet this guy doesnt even take care of his stuff so thats why it breaks down and or he doesnt even no how to ride lol:) :p :rolleyes:

tltcracing
09-17-2006, 06:46 PM
yeah!! so lets here how good this guy takes care of his bike. how many times a year his shocks are reworked, after how may hours he changes his oil and filter, how many bearings he goes through in a year... i could go on an on but i dont want to make this guy sound too stupid. you have got to take care of your bike buddy, i know it a honda but its also a semi-high mantinence race bike too.

JW450R1
09-17-2006, 06:55 PM
well, my 04 had no problems.i cleaned the air filter every time i ride,and change my oil every 2-3 times i ride,i check and adjusted and lube my chain every time i ride.about 2 times a year i remove the axle bearings clean and repact them.no problems yet.i really beleive that if something in the motor is going to go it's gona go,no matter what u do for maintance.

wvspeedfreak
09-17-2006, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by DEAL
Its finally happend, Honda is just as unreliable as the rest, the days of the big red and 300 4x4 are over.
Yfzs have problems..
450rs have problems..
Ltrs have problems..

Well said ;)

Honda4lyphe
09-17-2006, 08:03 PM
Honda's #1 priority it seems it reliability. Every honda has that feature, sure theres a few models that have more problems than others (talking about later models) as the time went by they enhanced their work, with their reliability. If performance was hondas #1 priority, it would be insane..the 400ex would have probably been redone the 450r would be more insane than it is, but they would have more maintance issues. If you notice, honda is the most common atv company, next to yamaha. Honda's utility atv's are insanely reliable, you cant kill them. Their sport atvs are a little bit less reliable but they are the most reliable sport atv's and pack a punch where ever they end up. i dont really know much about the 450r, cept its really fast and gives yamaha a run for their money, but im sure it has the same reliabiltiy if you care for it. Learn from your mistakes, alot of people jumped on this post because they are most loyal to honda and hate it when they see posts like this, im definatly loyal to honda, only other brand atv id possibly take is the yfz but thats it. Honda isnt like everyone else, they have their flaws but so does all the others, honda just tries to make it where they have less flaws so their loyal customers can have more fun without worrying about anything.

exrider44
09-17-2006, 08:03 PM
maybe if you laid off the 420 you would remember to maintain your bike lol j/k . I have an 04 never had any problems yet. that sucks I would be so annoyed.

4ABURN
09-17-2006, 08:11 PM
I have had a CR80, XR 80, XL200,XR 250, CR250,CRF450 and know my TRX450ER and have never had an BIG problem with any of them, not one.!!!!! Maybe lucky but I don't think soo. I loved all my hondas. These new HIGH horsepower bikes need more maintance than the old 15 Hp bikes and I don't think some peaple get this. Remember sometimes you just get a bad one (sorry):( :ermm: thats just the way of it....

woodsman250r
09-17-2006, 09:54 PM
Your area is Southern Ohio, which is full of idiots that have no clue about bikes and how to maintain them. I can make this statement because I am from the same area and work at a dealership. I could write a book about morons who have no idea how to maintain a bike that I talk to day to day. More than likely you and the others who have this problem would be a chapter in my book.

mstrav1
09-17-2006, 11:41 PM
My o4' is still on the stock top end and I ride the piss out of it!!!!! After my first tank of gas I did all my mods and have never looked back!!!! I ride 99% sand dunes and sand drag! Bike starts first or second kick every time!!! Oh yeah and I fliped it once and bent my stock steering stem! what a piece of crap!!!!!!! not!!!

Can you think of any machine designed for "abuse" that can run and do as good as some of these machine? Stock they have 35 hp, we modify them to 45 - 48 hp with ease and expect nothing to break? c'mon!!!! I put a chip in my diesel truck and now i go through tires (bald from spinning), is it the tire companys fault they can't handle over 1000lb's torque?

kids are funny, he'll pipe in and cry here soon!!!

cdrookie
09-18-2006, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by DEAL
Yfzs have problems..
450rs have problems..
Ltrs have problems..

exactly!

you guys sure are quick to judge, do any of you know this woodsracer guy personally? doesn't sound like it, just alot of speculation. read through this 450r forum, there's alot of problems with the all mighty hondas. i'm sure no of you have ever vented when you've been frustrated.

woodsracer420
09-20-2006, 08:31 PM
1. maintance?? i went through 2 case's of klotz oil in 6 months because i changed the oil every race or 2. I never had a dnf because of my maintance

2. why dont you guy's do little search and see just how many of your 04-05 beloved Hondas have locked up and sent rods through the front of the motors.

3. and you guys that have 04-05's and havent had any problems, just rember how you ran your mouth when yours locks up. because its a well know FACT that honda put cheap bearings in the bottom end in 04-05, some early 04's and late 05's were different. i remember reading a similar post and thinking i do to good of maintance for that to happen to me, wrong!!

4. yeah they all have there problems, how many of them a locking up? blowing up and needing rings is one thing, but a bike maintance like mine was should NEVER LOCK up!!!!!!! and you think locking up is normal??? i would rather have a rear shock break on a suzuki than have a 4-stroke lock the *uck UP. Do you have any idea what it will cost fix? i do

5. i used to be " all about honda" to. i had a 99 400ex built to a 426 with about mid 40 hp, and raced it almost 5 years, it never locked up!!?? and it was air cooled, so what gives?

woodsracer420
09-20-2006, 08:40 PM
try this

lock up 05 (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=149093&highlight=blown)

or this (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=189129&highlight=blown)

again (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=173913&highlight=blown)

and again (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=248667&highlight=locked)

this time with PICS (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=239853&highlight=locked)

FHKracingZ
09-20-2006, 09:45 PM
Three words , High Strung Motor. When you running a high strung motor , any time anything little fails in the motor it will usaully take out the whole thing due to how much presure it is under. Ive seen three local 450r's of my friends low end's go out in the last 3 weeks. It just happens, its racing , it takes a big toll on motors. You guys complain about racing a motor for a year and it going sit down and think about how reliable motors are, a engine holding toghter spinning 12,000 times a minute. Just be gracious they dont go every few hours.

ThumPIN_450R
09-20-2006, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by FHKracingZ
Just be gracious they dont go every few hours.

Mine normally let loose every few hours and I'm not gonna lie about it, it's rather aggravating. Brand new just broke in quad, Rebuilt quad whatever they aren't picky. Nobody can tell me it's a maintenance issue because typically they don't last long enough for that to be a problem. I'm working my way slowly into the teens with these Honda motors and I'm slightly considering a different brand.

Villageidiott23
09-21-2006, 08:20 AM
its funny how that works, your bike fs up and you go looking for other peeple with the same problem. ofcoarse your gonna find them. if my bike broke down and i complained enough im sure i could find ten people in my town that had problems with theres too. but your forgetting the bazillion other riders out there with no problems at all. its natural that society dwells on problems instead of praise. you could be a good citizen for 50yrs and you screw up one time thats all people will remember you by. sorry for that, its called life........

bcb
09-21-2006, 09:48 AM
Hey you guys I dont post much just usually read and think to myself. But everybodys going to have problems with all different kinds of bikes, and when they do there going to have to vent about it and of course this is a good place to do that. You guys bashing him better be careful its a matter of time before something goes wrong with your bikes. Come on have little respect. EVERYBODY

Flodies400ex
09-21-2006, 11:07 AM
see when you have problems with the engine then you dont no h ow to shift or you plain and simple you dont how to ride if you have problems and I havnt had nothing go wrong with my bike yet (nock on wood)!

check ou this video lol
http://media.putfile.com/VDC-Doors-on-a-Fiero-closeup-of-Hinge

woodsracer420
09-21-2006, 04:53 PM
honda put cheap bearings in the bottom end in 04-05, some early 04's and late 05's were different

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
what dont you understand about that?! the fact is, the tried to go cheap and its costing SOME of us.

Flodies400ex

what are you talking about? what does a engine locking up have to do not knowing how to ride?

list of quads ive owned

suzuki lt125
polaris trail boss 250
polaris predator 500
suzuki z400
suzuki lt250r (2)
honda 250r
honda 400ex (2)
honda 450r

no MAJOR problem out of any of them, exept lt250r's and now 450R

yeah each of them got there own different problems, but only 2 motors have locked-- lt250r, and 450r, did i mention ive been riding for 20 years and racing for 6?

the point is the 450r is now where near as reliable as the hondas of old. i know its a "high strung motor" but just go over 2 yfz owners and see how many motors have locked, i bet not many especially within 10 hours like some of the R's

HONDA SCREWED UP, PUT CHEAP BEARINGS IN SOME 04's-05's, and yes im pissed about it, wouldnt you be??? especially after i was braging mine up because i hadnt had any major problems, just like the rest of you are doing by running your mouths

oh, one more thing

the rings in this quad were still good AND the valves never needed adjustment, so its normal for the bottom end to lock up before you even need rings??? give break

woodsracer420
09-21-2006, 04:57 PM
honda put cheap bearings in the bottom end in 04-05, some early 04's and late 05's were different

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
what dont you understand about that?! the fact is, they tried to go cheap and its costing SOME of us.

Flodies400ex

what are you talking about? what does a engine locking up have to do not knowing how to ride?

list of quads ive owned

suzuki lt125
polaris trail boss 250
polaris predator 500
suzuki z400
suzuki lt250r (2)
honda 250r
honda 400ex (2)
honda 450r

no MAJOR problems out of any of them, exept lt250r's and now 450R

yeah each of them got there own different problems, but only 2 motors have locked-- lt250r, and 450r, did i mention ive been riding for 20 years and racing for 6?

the point is the 450r is now where near as reliable as the hondas of old. i know its a "high strung motor" but just go over 2 yfz owners and see how many motors have locked, i bet not many especially within 10 hours like some of the R's

HONDA SCREWED UP, PUT CHEAP BEARINGS IN SOME 04's-05's, and yes im pissed about it, wouldnt you be??? especially after i was braging mine up because i hadnt had any major problems, just like the rest of you are doing right now

oh, one more thing

the rings in this quad were still good AND the valves never needed adjustment, so its normal for the bottom end to lock up before you even need rings??? give me a break

woodsracer420
09-21-2006, 05:01 PM
OH, I WAS STILL ON THE ORIGINAL CLUTCH TOO!

no, i forgot i dont know how to ride and dont do any maintance?

Pappy
09-21-2006, 05:06 PM
I dont understand how everyone can be so complacent about this probelm. This is one of the biggest factors in my selling my 450's. I know it does not effect each one, but quite honestly i do not have the cash to be rebuild them when they do go.

I believe on the YFZ there is a case mod that allows more oil to get to this bearing, but for the honda it is a bearing change with no added fixes (I havent kept up on all the tech stuff so there may be something the builders are doing to address this issue)

The sad part is that when they do go, people are having trouble getting the kind of support they need from the manufacture. I know one fella who is still fighting Honda over a lock up issue on a 2 week old quad.

I do not have a favorite manufacture, especially these days. They all break for sure, it is a matter of when. The bad part about this is the amount of damage that it causes and most folks flat out can not afford to fix it!

450rJam
09-21-2006, 05:13 PM
you raced it for a year with original clutch ?
either you raced very little or didnt do much maint. on that either
go ahead and get a zuki, it will be your loss but hey.......some lessons are harder learned than others.

woodsracer420
09-21-2006, 05:20 PM
finally somebody with some knowledge, thanks pappy

honda needs to completely fix the problem! but there not, so its piss on us (the ones who have had trouble) all because theres a bunch of jokers out there that are blinded by Honda red and cant see that theres a serious problem and are still selling these quads left and right

dont get me wrong, i love the 450r's, great handling, great power delivery, until maybe one day it locks. its just not worth the chance

woodsracer420
09-21-2006, 05:22 PM
actually i just had one ordered before it blew and clutch is not something you just change like oil. you need it when yours goes bad or a little before. the fact it lasted like it did goes show ya how good klotz oil is. i believe thats only reason the motor didnt blow within the first 10 hours or so. combined with a great maintance schedule. i changed oil more than you change your tighty whities!

and who said i was getting a suzuki?

i probably wont get anything, its going to take awhile before i get out of this jam, i might just completey part out this quad and cut my losses

BiG ReD l00ser
09-21-2006, 05:45 PM
well back to the original subject which is maitence the only reason it really probably blew up is because A. you dont know how to ride or B. Some honda problems with that specific motor because it doesnt seem like ithappens to alot of other people or C. the lack of oil because my friend did that same thing with his 450r and blew the motor because lack of oil and he attmets it too

woodsracer420
09-21-2006, 05:50 PM
no way prove just how many people its happen 2, honda wouldnt tell how many people complained and people on here is just a small fraction of all owners

questions 1,2,3 ive answered all of them, try reading a little before you post

exrider44
09-21-2006, 05:51 PM
Sorry to hear that you have had many problems. Im sure it would annoy the crap out of anyone of us if the same happened. Isthis with just the 06? I know the 05's had issues with throwing bearings

ckasper18
09-21-2006, 05:53 PM
Any kind of motorsport related events will sooner or later go south i am on my third computer do due god only knows.Driving home from the badlands brand new diesel motor just let go.My buddy Yamaha nothing but 3 rods three sets of cases Doug Gust tranny one race blown motor the following weekend.George Bush thats a whole nother issue.Honda lots of loyal fans some not so loyal Yamaha some loyal fans some not so loyal Suzuki some loyal fans some not so loyal George Bush no comments on him.Nothing is perfect but loyal i am.*****ing and complaing nobody listens anyways.9 hondas in my garage my underwear are red and there a wing tattood on my back.You have a great day.....Chris
Go buy a good book sit down and read it crap theres a page missing

woodsracer420
09-21-2006, 05:54 PM
havent had many, just one big one, mines an 05 thanks

woodsracer420
09-21-2006, 06:01 PM
im just making sure everybody is aware that there is a issue with the bottom end of these motors.

maybe most of you will never have this problem? and i hope thats the case.

thats all im saying about it! time to get work and fix it

400ex45
09-21-2006, 06:04 PM
i work at a dealership and we have never had a 450r in there for locking up. (not say they havent) but we have done 3 this year of yfz450 connecting rods screw up and cause the piston to hit the head. they were all less the 4 months old. that tells me something the but take it as you wish. and another thing is you guys here all of the bad stuff that happens because that would be something to post. but what you dont see posted is all off the bikes that run great.

it is just like the news u only hear the bad things that happen in the world and not the good.

ckasper18
09-21-2006, 06:23 PM
1969 us/atc90 still in my basement (2)
71-72Us/atc90 still in my basement
73atc90 )2) still in my basenent
73 atc 70 still in my basement oops that one is in my garage
2000 400ex
2006 450er
crf houser 450r
honda lawnmower
Honda weedwacker
Honda Generator
now i will post what i owned in the past
atc110 (4)
atc185s (3)
atc200x race bike practice bike play bike 3 each year 83-86
atc250r 83-84-85-86
trx250r (2)86
trx250r(3)87
trx250r 88
trx250r 89
trx250x(3)
atc350x (3)
trx350x conversion sparks 520 motor
400ex with crf motor
04 450r
and 1 banshee not for me
I am sure theres more have most all paperwork on all these quads and three wheelers had several issues thats what makes life exciting
37 years and still going strong 17 years racing now its my daughters turn here what she owned will post at later date you have a great day......Chris
I forgot to mention my parents own a honda shop 46 years

woodsracer420
09-21-2006, 06:31 PM
1969 us/atc90 still in my basement (2)
71-72Us/atc90 still in my basement
73atc90 )2) still in my basenent
73 atc 70 still in my basement oops that one is in my garage
2000 400ex
2006 450er
crf houser 450r
honda lawnmower
Honda weedwacker
Honda Generator
now i will post what i owned in the past
atc110 (4)
atc185s (3)
atc200x race bike practice bike play bike 3 each year 83-86
atc250r 83-84-85-86
trx250r (2)86
trx250r(3)87
trx250r 88
trx250r 89
trx250x(3)
atc350x (3)
trx350x conversion sparks 520 motor
400ex with crf motor
04 450r
and 1 banshee not for me
I am sure theres more have most all paperwork on all these quads and three whwwlwes had several issues thats what makes life exciting
37 years and still going strong 17 years racing now its my daughters turn here what she owned will post at later date you have a great day......Chris

what are you trying to say?? you like hondas? lol i liked them too but they really dissapointed me on this one. later

ckasper18
09-21-2006, 06:35 PM
No i never said that i like anybody that rides quads yamaha Honda Suzuki Cannondales your on 4 wheels your cool i just prefer Hondas
Have you ever heard of the honda dream back in the early 1960 well i was concieved on a honda dream.Chris

woodsracer420
09-21-2006, 06:39 PM
that's a hell of a collection though!

ckasper18
09-21-2006, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
I dont understand how everyone can be so complacent about this probelm. This is one of the biggest factors in my selling my 450's. I know it does not effect each one, but quite honestly i do not have the cash to be rebuild them when they do go.

I believe on the YFZ there is a case mod that allows more oil to get to this bearing, but for the honda it is a bearing change with no added fixes (I havent kept up on all the tech stuff so there may be something the builders are doing to address this issue)

The sad part is that when they do go, people are having trouble getting the kind of support they need from the manufacture. I know one fella who is still fighting Honda over a lock up issue on a 2 week old quad.

I do not have a favorite manufacture, especially these days. They all break for sure, it is a matter of when. The bad part about this is the amount of damage that it causes and most folks flat out can not afford to fix it! I have been a honda dealer since 1961 if the quad was two weeks old his dealer should have taken care of him i know my dealership would thats why were still going strong after 46 years of service.I will be sending a powdercaot job out to you soob pappy there are several places here in town that can do it bur i support the people who support the sport and if your powdercoat job started flakng off youwould stand behind your customer rite...........Chris

ckasper18
09-21-2006, 06:54 PM
Thanks that old stuff is cool brings back some great memories some day i will post some of my old stuff its in really good shape some are like showroom condition couple are rough but that gives them caracter

Pappy
09-21-2006, 06:57 PM
Oh i'm with you on your line of thinking, this is an issue where the dealer just does not believe there is a problem with the engine thatw as not caused by some form of owner related abuse. They also did not believe anyone who took thier suzuki in for the antifreeze/corrosion issue until people threatned to seek legal assistance. You have good and bad dealerships.

And yes, I stand behind my work. I fully believe that it is the customer who keeps you going and even if you have to bend to make them happy, in most cases you will come out ahead in the long run.

The bigger issue here is that people just can not imagine there being an inherent problem with the 450r. Unfortunatley there is. As someone else posted, there are not enough failing fast enough to cause Honda to step up. Even with proper maintence and a moderate riding style this issue can hit you. Noone wanted to believe that the 06 handles worse then the 05 either, but it is the popular opinion of most racers I know that indeed that is the case also. I do not look down at Honda at all, but when you are so acustomed to thier outright marketplace dominance and quality that we have all grown up with, it hurts when you are the one left sitting with big red blow'd up:p

I dont care what model you buy these days, it can have problems. It just sucks so bad this one is a biggy! And my brothers YFZ just met this fate after 2 years of abusing it. I do not mean to sound like this will happen on your first ride, it is just the way these new 450's seem to let go:p

woodsracer420
09-21-2006, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Oh i'm with you on your line of thinking, this is an issue where the dealer just does not believe there is a problem with the engine thatw as not caused by some form of owner related abuse. They also did not believe anyone who took thier suzuki in for the antifreeze/corrosion issue until people threatned to seek legal assistance. You have good and bad dealerships.

And yes, I stand behind my work. I fully believe that it is the customer who keeps you going and even if you have to bend to make them happy, in most cases you will come out ahead in the long run.

The bigger issue here is that people just can not imagine there being an inherent problem with the 450r. Unfortunatley there is. As someone else posted, there are not enough failing fast enough to cause Honda to step up. Even with proper maintence and a moderate riding style this issue can hit you. Noone wanted to believe that the 06 handles worse then the 05 either, but it is the popular opinion of most racers I know that indeed that is the case also. I do not look down at Honda at all, but when you are so acustomed to thier outright marketplace dominance and quality that we have all grown up with, it hurts when you are the one left sitting with big red blow'd up:p

I dont care what model you buy these days, it can have problems. It just sucks so bad this one is a biggy!

thats the point ive been trying to get out, but you did it in one paragragh, took me 4 pages!lol

Pappy
09-21-2006, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer420
thats the point ive been trying to get out, but you did it in one paragragh, took me 4 pages!lol

LOL..well the thread title will attract so many that will be ready to chop off your manhood that maybe they did not see the point you were trying to make:D

I could start a war over what I would love to say about the frame quality of the 450R and YFZ but my days of speaking my mind are over:eek: :devil:

Villageidiott23
09-22-2006, 08:32 AM
well ill speak my mind.... i had some taco bell earlier and man do i have to f***ing sh*t. thats my 2cents. hahaha

baja_racer
09-22-2006, 02:39 PM
This is a very entertaining thread..........I will stick with Honda though.

iamjasyn
09-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Nothing personal against any of you. I just came across this thread cause I was curious to know what goes on over in the other half of the world on this board. Every Honda I've ever owned (cars, motorcycles, ATC, ATV) is has been a excellent, reliable machine. As far as I know they still make great machines.

From my perspective, the 450's are here to replace the market for 250R's at the hands of environmental legislation. You guys that are having problems are paying for it. The manufacturers are paying for it and passing the cost to you. You bought nascar style ATV's guys. I just pulled apart (pretty simple to do too) a pretty well used, stock 88 250R and the crank is just now starting to reach it's wear limit. There is an article called "reality check" on LASleeve.com outlining the relative cost of maintaince between the 250F and the 125 and the results are not in favor of the 250F.

One very long time builder I read a post from recently thinks the manufactuers are not being as upfront about the cost of these new style of 4strokes as they should. He is seeing first hand how often and how much money they are.

I wish you luck with these R 4strokes. I wish things were different for all of us.

Dippy Dawg
09-23-2006, 01:36 PM
Looks like when My 4 year warranty is up,I'm sending my r down the road!!!

You can just tell whne riding it hard, bouncing it off the rev limiter,shifting through the gears and that ocasional miss shift ,that somebody, somewhere has had one let go!!! Just hope I don't

Scott270R
09-29-2006, 06:03 PM
try this

lock up 05 (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=149093&highlight=blown)

or this (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=189129&highlight=blown)

again (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=173913&highlight=blown)

and again (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=248667&highlight=locked)

this time with PICS (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=239853&highlight=locked)

I have a 2004 that I just put a new piston, head valves, springs you name it. It locked up the first time I ever raced in in Jasper in the main. What can I do to make this bike reliable? What parts are needed. I changed the oil and I haven't ridden this bike but for 2-3 hours of break-in and its junk now. Is this common?

yamadjs08
09-29-2006, 07:16 PM
Wow is all I have to say. Im suprised at both sides LOL. For one, woodsracer420, you shouldnt be so upset that it locked up. it is a high performance machine and no matter the brand, its going to happen sooner or later. You got 2 years out of it including a bit of racing, be happy that it went that long, if you can imagine the hours that have been put on it, Im sure it went far past Honda's expectations. If you want a machine of that power to last longer than that, move on to something else, although I dont reccommend a different 450 if your this upset about your 450r. It will happen again no matter what 450 you get.

And for the other side, I cant believe how many of you are in denial. Obviously Honda has a problem, but either way it is a high performance machine, they are high strung and like anything else, its bound to go. The name Honda isnt going to make it run forever, sure Honda makes a quality product, but in todays world with the 450's it doesnt matter what brand it is. Especially when you are putting the abuse of racing on the machine.

450rJam
09-30-2006, 07:00 AM
well said...............
they rebuild top fuel dragsters every run.
you are way more reliable than that.

woodsracer420
09-30-2006, 03:59 PM
yamadjs08, you gotta point, i got boat load of racing and riding out of it BUT do you really think its normal for a 4-stroke motor to lock up before it even needs rings?or anything else for that matter. i am lucky it lasted that long though, with the defect, i am a true believer in synthetic oil

450rJam, a stock 450 motor is a far cry for a top fuel dragster! you cant even compare the 2

450rcrazy022692
09-30-2006, 05:51 PM
I know a kid thats 04 locked up brought it to the dealer has a brand new 06 sitting in his garage now so i dont really have much to say about Honda or the local dealership.

I have an 04 too and ive been praying **** wont happen to mine so far minor things went wrong and they were my fault so

450rJam
09-30-2006, 06:46 PM
you get the point, the badder you build it the less reliable it will be.
goes for everything..........cars,boats,quads, there is a price to pay for all that go fast.
the 04/05's did have weak bearings but good grief how long can you race anything hard and not have something give.
go ahead and jump off the honda and lets see how long your next ride lasts

sandmanblue
10-03-2006, 03:56 PM
A little late in this thread to get specific, but better late than never.

1) the 04/05 motor has had a number of cases where the right side crank bearing has failed. I have seen evidence that the bearing has moved outward and allowed the crank to hit the right side case. Before they fail, there are clear signs of problems including aluminum in the engine oil. WATCH FOR METAL IN THE OIL AND MAKE SURE YOU GUYS USE AN OIL WITH MOLYBDENUM IN IT FOR THE ENGINE SIDE (ONLY). After draining the oil - shine a flashlight into it and look for particles. Aluminum won't get picked up by a magnet, so you have to swirl the oil and look at the bottom of the drain pan.

2) Honda changed part numbers at some point and the replacement bearings are different. The part numbers for the 04/05 are different than the 06/07 bearing numbers.

3) Oddly enough, the bearing part numbers for the 04/05 look very similar to the CRF bearing numbers. I have not seen reports of CRF bearing problems - anyone have links to any?.

The term used so far has been "locked up" and this is quite nondescript. If we are to make sense of what is going on - we need to be more specific with the actual failures.

Bearings? Piston? Rod? Cam gear? I have seen all of these at one point or another.

Lastly, it should be common practice for all of you to slightly overfill the engine oil as well as the transmission on the TRX/CRF motors. After reaching the full mark - add another 100 cc's of oil. It won't hurt anything and it raises the oil level to a point that appears to help in solving these problems. This was also brought up in DirtRider mag regarding the CRF-X motors and applies to the TRX as well.

No, I don't work for Honda - just been edumacated on these things a bit...

450rJam
10-03-2006, 05:12 PM
thank you for the insight.
filling the oil up just a little extra makes sense, and its not like I have alot of uses for the little left in the quart. (I had been pouring all the extra together in one bottle until I had enough for a oil change)

11-26-2008, 08:40 PM
well, my 05 lock up tighter than fort knox last night. about half throttle in 5 gear when it started to loose power then it just died. Thats the 3rd one in 2 months in my area, not counting an 06 with the HRC kit, and one 06 that lost 5th gear. I use to be a loyal honda owner, but no more, they've lost all my respect!

YAMAHA!!!
yfz450!

Zakradu398
11-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by mxcowboy
YAMAHA!!!
yfz450!

You understand this thread is 2 years old right?

wykyd450R
11-27-2008, 12:20 PM
YAMAHA!!!
yfz450!

:rolleyes:

mx1791
11-27-2008, 02:54 PM
YAMAHA!!!
yfz450!
this threads older then you.. i posted in this back when i had a z400, since then ive had a 450r and a yfz, and the yfz has been the biggest pos out of the 3... so yea, go yamaha!! :rolleyes:

MX MaNiAc 06
11-27-2008, 07:08 PM
Word. Ill never buy a Honda again.