PDA

View Full Version : wheel spacers/offset rims

drchoicey
09-17-2006, 08:11 AM
how bad is the scrub steer effect from
using spacers or rims with a wider offset?
is it worth the extra width?
i was thinking of getting 2+3 rims for the kids
400ex because it seems a little narrow
compared to the r
but i dont want it to mess up the steering feel
could someone whose tried this comment please?
thanx
the doctor

jrm03
09-17-2006, 08:26 AM
It does give quite a bit more feedback through bumpy terrain. Fighting the bars tends to tire me quite a bit more running the spacers on the front of my EX. It is a cheap alternative compared to arms though, thats why I went with them. The cornering and stability was greatly improved after I added the spacers.

Ebrown
09-17-2006, 08:51 AM
i have spacers in the rear on my 400ex, big diffrence, more stability, whole diffrent feel.

i like them:)

flauge
09-17-2006, 07:38 PM
I had them on the back for a lil while too. Handling was a lot better, lots more stability and a lot better turn in, it'd slide a lot easier too..

400exrider707
09-17-2006, 08:55 PM
Please search this topic, there are oodles of info. Basically it comes down to how hard they will be riding because frankly spacers are very unsafe. Spacers and or flipped rims are going to make your handling worse. It might not tip over as easy, but the farther the centerline of the tire is from the centerline of the spindle, the worse your handling will be. This is not bumpsteer though. Rims and spacers will not affect your bump steer. Bump steer is the action of the wheels to turn as the suspension goes through its stroke. Almost every wheeler has it, but this will not change with spacers or rims. The term most commonly used for the spacers and rims is "feedback" as you will be fighting the handlebars more now.

09-18-2006, 07:33 AM
i didn't notice a change from stock to running spacers.:confused:

drchoicey
09-18-2006, 08:36 PM
gentleman,
thank you for your feedback.
(slight pun intended)
the doctor