PDA

View Full Version : JE v Wisco

Grant Casey
09-17-2006, 03:13 AM
i cant decide Wat piston to get for my soon to come rebuild, a JE or wisco 416 piston for my 400ex

feedback please

bubba's400ex
09-17-2006, 11:06 AM
well what ore your diffrent options for compression?
that would help me decide. most people say JE is better but a lot of people like weisco because there good and a little cheaper.

stocktires
09-18-2006, 01:59 PM
billet vs. forged basically (I'm 99% sure a JE is forged)

Billet = generally lighter, but takes longer to warm up. Generally considered a higher performance piston will less reliability.

Forged = heavier, and warms up quick because the cylinder and piston are more similar metals. Generally very reliable at the cost of performace.

*On a side note, the small difference in performance isn't even noticeable. That's the basics I remember from back in the day.

krt400ex
09-18-2006, 02:11 PM
wisecos r forged

stocktires
09-18-2006, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
wisecos r forged

your right, I'm mixed up.
I'm thinking of CAST vs. Forged
JE and Wiseco are both forged, sorry.

400eXr1d3rZ
09-18-2006, 04:55 PM
JE is forged.

krt400ex
09-18-2006, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by stocktires
your right, I'm mixed up.
I'm thinking of CAST vs. Forged
JE and Wiseco are both forged, sorry.

that's alright.

2muchquad
09-18-2006, 09:43 PM
They both are good when installed properly.;)

firefighterjosh
09-18-2006, 10:30 PM
Go with the JE

F-16Guy
09-19-2006, 03:11 PM
An interesting bit of reading for those of you that swear one is better than the other:

"Performance Motorsports was formed in June 1999 with the merger of Wiseco and JE Pistons. Wiseco and JE continued to operate independently in their respective markets but supported each other’s development through sharing of best practices.

With Wiseco and JE being the strongest players in the forged piston market, Jim and his management team set out to identify a manufacturer of cast pistons for the emerging PMI group of companies. Vertex Pistons, based in Reggio Emilia, Italy, was identified as the preferred company but Vertex was part of an Italian lawn and gardening equipment group of companies. After a year of discussions, the owners decided to separate the business and Vertex became part of PMI in September 2000. Led by a young and aggressive management team, Vertex is a manufacturer of cast aluminum pistons for two-cycle OEM and aftermarket applications. Vertex serves both the domestic Italian and export markets and gave PMI its first manufacturing facility in Europe.

Having a full range of piston capabilities, PMI turned its attention to developing a performance system for its customers. This strategy really started to take shape with the acquisition of Carrillo Industries in July 2001. Carrillo, based in San Clemente, California, is the premier brand of steel connecting rods for the automotive and motorcycle performance market. In October 2001 PMI acquired Perfect Bore Ltd, a U.K.-based manufacturer of thin-walled coated cylinder liners and specialty pistons for the highest echelons of racing. Carrillo and Perfect Bore continue to be led by their pre-acquisition management teams who are excited by the possibilities for sharing technology across the group. With the extensive skill base across the six companies that now comprise PMI, the opportunity exists to jointly develop a highly engineered power cell including cylinder liner, piston and connecting rod."

F-16Guy
09-19-2006, 03:19 PM
It's a very old trick; keep the brand names in tact to maintain a base of customers that is loyal to their preferred brands. Of the thousands of brand names you purchase at the grocery store, only a few are really in genuine competition with each other. The majority of the things you buy are owned by one super-corporation or another. So now you know that Wiseco, JE, Vertex, and Carrillo are all owned by the same parent company. Wiseco and JE may have slight differences in some products, but share "best practices" and almost certainly have a uniform quality control program.

cannondale27
09-23-2006, 07:12 PM
In my opinion any 1999 or newer designed JE piston is junk.Most of thier engineers bailed after the takeover and guess where they went? CP pistons.Get one they are much more reliable from what I have seen.JE's like to crack and Wisecos shrink and then burn oil.