PDA

View Full Version : Innovative Aluminum Frame?EFI??

Pro400EXC
09-16-2006, 09:18 PM
Not to start anything here but..

I've just read the ATV Sport and Atv action etc.

Why does everyone talk as if the new Kawi's aluminum frame is a big deal..

Like its never been done before

"innnovative aluminum frame"

"first ever aluminum framed atv"

"trick efi"

And then someone wrote to ATV SPort asking how they think the new Kawi's frame will hold up.

The reply went somehting like..

Most likley,blah blah blah..the raports holds up well..its a hyrbid aluminum...

Not once is a cannondale mentioned.

I mean after all they were the 1st w/ EFI and Aluminum frame...and there frames held up well..

Now i don't wanna hear all this..my buddies friend's cousin saw one break...cause thats BS

I mean sure they had there problems..but this was afterall a Bicycle company who jumped head1st into the racing scene...

And they had all that technology back in 2001......

The Japs are finally coming out w/ efi in 05...then aluminum frames in 06....

Its not new people...its not innovative....

Its just "another one"

why does the Cannondale get no respect?

NorCalRacer
09-16-2006, 09:22 PM
They may not get respect in the media but they sure do on the riding grounds:D I think people have forgotten them already, although I hear a racer is on his way up with an ATK....

2004exrider
09-16-2006, 09:30 PM
How come they quit making cannondale? From what i've seen they looked and sounded like they were pretty ahead of their time. Is there really much of a weight difference compared to a steel frame to make that much of a difference?

Jimmy

NorCalRacer
09-16-2006, 09:33 PM
They put their necks out when they went to EFI, lots of changes. They made some mistakes on the motor and the investors pulled out. ATK bought all their remaining inventory and started pulling motors out of brand new quads and "updating" them, fixing most of the problems that were found in the '03 cannibal. They are still sold as ATK and are some of the baddest production quads made.
The aluminum frame is to increase strength not to lose weight, they have the strongest frame of any sports quad made. It also keeps the oil cool:D

Pro400EXC
09-16-2006, 09:37 PM
the frames are actually pretty light...

also....the dry weight of the Moto's and Blazes were like 380...

Ok the new 450's are around 350-380....

Now....the dry weight was for a race ready quad...add numbers and fuel..and go...

Now add.shocks,arms,nerfs,etc to a YFX,TRX,LTR,etc....your gonna add some weight..so

The Dales def. were pretty light...

CannondaleRider
09-17-2006, 01:09 AM
Yep, Yep

I really hope things come around, and people start giving Cannondales/ATK's a little more respect.

Mine has been doing awsome, not the slightest hiccup.
http://i7.tinypic.com/214tkl3.jpg http://i7.tinypic.com/214tjqo.jpg
http://i7.tinypic.com/214thk5.jpg

RIDER11X
09-17-2006, 10:29 AM
ATK/ Conndales are definitly a quality bike. In a little conversation with John Natalie that was a sponsored rider for them at one time and did alot of testing for them....He said the frames were unbelievably strong, but the motor had some weaknesses as far a holding up to race conditions.
My experiance with them was they were seriously fast machines, that just had a couple of minor EFI bugs that maybe a knowledgable tech could solve with some mapping changes. Airing them out was very comfortable for me, as they did everything well on the track, but did have a stiffer frame feel on the track, which I happen to really like.:cool:

stocktires
09-17-2006, 12:02 PM
Dales are still the sickest quads out there, right next to hybrids. If there was still a big aftermarket for them and even semi-popular I would be riding one right now. If they ever come back strong, I'll be tossing my leg over a moto440 type quad in a heartbeat.

RIDER11X
09-17-2006, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by stocktires
Dales are still the sickest quads out there, right next to hybrids. If there was still a big aftermarket for them and even semi-popular I would be riding one right now. If they ever come back strong, I'll be tossing my leg over a moto440 type quad in a heartbeat.

Agreed! The other great feature of a Dale is the Cassette transmission, to allow service without case splitting!!! Someone should follow their lead on that idea.

I miss the Hybrids at the track...Mostly everyone rides a current 450 off of the showroom floor around here. It's nice to see what builders can build, and win on them too! I loved the old school, 250r style chassis, 350x motored quads....progressing to the YFZ/ CRF/ KTM 525 motors in those aftermarket chassis....Cool stuff!:cool:

coolguy8769
09-17-2006, 01:22 PM
was the 350ex motor really an improvment over the 250r? i'm just courious cause i wasnt in the sport till about 2 years ago

stocktires
09-17-2006, 01:25 PM
350x....it was a kickstart 4 valve air cooled motor. Back then, it was the only decent 4 stroke powerplant so that was the general reason for the conversion.
I just started looking into ATK's, and wow, nice quads! If I get tired of the hybrid I WILL be looking at buying one.

coolguy8769
09-17-2006, 01:34 PM
do they have a website, tried to find one and couldnt?

or a distributers website

there is a guy who races D7 pro class on one, he is either in first or second everytime. but hes a great rider so that might have somethin to do with it

coolguy8769
09-17-2006, 02:00 PM
wow any more obvious haha
i feel like a dumba**:p

Pro400EXC
09-17-2006, 06:30 PM
don't really rely on the website too much..

its dated and misinformed..

the best way is to go into the atk/cannondales section

RIDER11X
09-17-2006, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by coolguy8769
was the 350ex motor really an improvment over the 250r? i'm just courious cause i wasnt in the sport till about 2 years ago

Back in the day, we only had four stroke and two stroke classes. To be one of the fast guys you ran modded 350x motors to run the front of the four stroke class. This, I believe is the origin of the 400ex by Honda....250r similar chassis, with a big bore air cooled four stroke. Competitive? One of our fastest racers routinely beat the A Class 250r guys, while leaping an 80' tripple!!!! All on a Laeger Chassis with a modded 350x motor in it!:eek:

shano
09-17-2006, 08:40 PM
Love my mx cannondale to death, Got the motor all updated and some minor motor work and she rips, easily keeps up with modded 450's all day long. Just ordered some herrmann elka long travel:D

Toadz400
09-17-2006, 11:42 PM
I would do anything to own a Cannondale/ATK. I would've boughten an ATK if the nearest dealership wasn't 4-5 hours away. Instead I'm stuck with a lousy YFZ450:o ;) .

Brad77
09-18-2006, 07:42 AM
You guys that love the dales and hybrids would get a kick out of coming to my house. Cause that is about all I have.

I have a 400ex- KTM520 hybrid, 250r-350x hybrid, two cannondale quads, and a cannondale bike x440s.

I still haven't finished the quads yet (doing rebuilds). Maybe soon my busy schedule will allow me to fix them before I am too old to ride them.

Mxjunkie
09-18-2006, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by RIDER11X
Back in the day, we only had four stroke and two stroke classes. To be one of the fast guys you ran modded 350x motors to run the front of the four stroke class. This, I believe is the origin of the 400ex by Honda....250r similar chassis, with a big bore air cooled four stroke. Competitive? One of our fastest racers routinely beat the A Class 250r guys, while leaping an 80' tripple!!!! All on a Laeger Chassis with a modded 350x motor in it!:eek:

:macho