PDA

View Full Version : clicky clicky on my 300ex wont start

sab24711
09-16-2006, 08:25 PM
it started off with me trying to hot wire the quad.i disconnected the plugs that ran from the key switch to the main electrical plugs, and took them and pluged them into each other. it started up fine like the key was in. the next day i tried to go riding and it wont trun over. so i cleaned the grounds and charged the battey,i also put that in a 400ex and it stared up fine(battery fines!)
i just found a bad fuse and replaced it with the spare. now it clicks in the relay so i took the two terminals off and connected them ,and it still clicks. i took off the lights so there are no plugs connected(rock smashed bulb).the quad started up fine when i had the light plugs off before.i hooked up the key and grinded down the grounds.so my friend said it was the starter that i burnt out but he knows squat about quads. so it you could help me please

2muchquad
09-16-2006, 10:30 PM
Battery could be low or the starter itself could have some bad brushes.If the battery is charged and your solenoid is good,try tapping the starter a few times and try again.good luck:)

sab24711
09-16-2006, 11:39 PM
yeah unfortanaly that didnt work. does any one own the owners manual cause if you do please type what it says about my problem.
i know its a 300ex and under trouble shooing electrical problems it says the solution is to sell quad immideatly, dont post that ,post what it says after that!

NorCalRacer
09-17-2006, 09:36 AM
Hate to tell you this but you might have gotten yourself into a can of worms. I have no knowledge of your specific quad, I don't even know when it was made, but I can share some general knowledge with you. Keys are rarely as simple as on/off. ATV's have gone from simple coil systems to CDI's (possibly yours), they have light circuits and other add-ons as well. Sometimes the key opens up several circuits (lights, fan, cdi, etc). If it is getting a specified amount of charge from the voltage regulator, cutting one path for the current would overcharge and fry the rest of the circuits. By-passing the key may have overloaded a wire or electrical component that your machine needs to run. I would suggest doing a visual inspection from where you spliced the wires as far as you can trace them. If that turns up dry, you probably will have to get a shop manual and a cheap multi-meter.
I would also recommen finding a new ignition switch or dis-assembling your old one and see if you can duplicate the functions(like I said, it is probably more than on/off )

I have no knowledge of this quad in particular so someone please correct me if my foot is in my mouth.

sab24711
09-20-2006, 12:41 PM
blown fuse aND BAD CONNECTOINS TO BATTERY and to ground, but now i know how to hot wire a 300 and its easy

00tn300ex
09-20-2006, 09:18 PM
ive got mine hotwired without a key it doesnt hurt a thing.i wouldnt recomend tapping on the starter.try taking a battery charger putting it on 40 amp and see wat it does

bwamos
09-21-2006, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by sab24711
it started off with me trying to hot wire the quad.i disconnected the plugs that ran from the key switch to the main electrical plugs, and took them and pluged them into each other. it started up fine like the key was in. the next day i tried to go riding and it wont trun over.

That method works fine.. but you HAVE to unplug those wires when you are done. It's like leaving the key on. The drain of the CDI, etc.. will drain your battery overnight.

2muchquad
09-21-2006, 09:39 AM
With the 300ex the key is simple on/off.Theres no highend electronics on board or fump pump relays to contend with.