PDA

View Full Version : bent axle?

TrapZ400
09-16-2006, 08:07 PM
When I was going down a smooth path I looked down at my back right tire and I noticed that it wasnt tracking straight. Is my axle bent or is it just how the tire spins? I dont really have enough money right now to get a new axle. If I do have to get a new axle what is the best kind to get and how easy are they to put on my quad? Also is it ok if I keep riding it?
Thanks

I am also thinking about buying a new swingarm because the stock chain adjustment is messed up. What would be a good one to get and how hard are they to put on?

yellowzo3
09-16-2006, 08:14 PM
its supposed to point straight for sure...a good axle to get is a g-force..they $200 which isnt too much and they have a guarantee i think. if you dont have much money to spend dont even look at buying a swingarm..just try to take your time and fix the chain adjustment...but are you sure your rim inst bent? spin the axle and look at it and see if it moves..you could take your wheels off also and check it out like that..hope you get everything figured out man.

TrapZ400
09-16-2006, 08:28 PM
The problem with the chain adjustment is that one of the four bolts that needs to be loosened to adjust the chain is really hard to loosen. I think the threads might be crossed or something. And I have tried everything to try to loosen it and nothing works. Im really thinking about selling it and gettin a yfz. Dont get me wrong I like my Z a lot but im pissed about the chain adjustment.
The quad is only a year old!

Crazy Diamond
09-16-2006, 08:36 PM
Alot of times you have a rim that is slightly bent. I have several sets of back tires and rims and when I look down at them on a smooth road or trail it looks like a bent axle! Get the back up and spin the axle and you will see the truth! Most of the time it is the rim or even the tire not mounted correctly!

Try to get some PB Blaster and spray it under the swingarm where the bolt is sticking and this should free your tough bolt. The dirt and mud gets on the treads under the swingarm and then you have a stuck bolt!

TrapZ400
09-17-2006, 01:24 PM
I put some pb blaster on it and after I waited a couple minutes I tried to loosen it. When I was trying to loosen it, it made a loud knocking kinda like a snapping sound. Then I tried to loosen it some more it made the same sound. What should I do? :confused:

jonboy
09-17-2006, 03:17 PM
The bolt may be stripped out by the sounds of it. If it is here is a way to get it out. It will take a bit of work but you should be able to get it.

1. Make sure that the bolt parallel to the one that is stripped, is in the nut plate under the swingarm by just a couple of threads. (it'll keep the nut plate from spinning)

2. Next, start with a small drill bit and drill into the bolt head, drill into it just below the bolt heads shoulder. Start working your way up in bit size until it is slightly larger than the bolt diameter. (if bolt starts to spin, put a wrench on the bolt)

3. Now you should be able to snap the bolt head off by turning it with a wrench. Once the bolt head is removed take out the other bolt and pull the nut plate and stripped bolt through the bottom.

4. More than likely you'll need to replace both the bolt and nut plate.

I hope this will help. Good luck:)

drzoo2
09-17-2006, 06:00 PM
My z was 4 months old and I stripped this. I'm convinced they were wrong from the factory. Anyway, after you remove it buy some good hardend sae hardware. This is a really stupid issue to make you trade.

Screw yamadog

z

TrapZ400
09-17-2006, 06:31 PM
Should I have my dealer do it? I dont want to miss anything up. I think I am going to sell it after I pay it off. Because the people that work at my local suzuki dealer are morons and I like the yamaha dealer better. I am also really getting into motocross and racing so i think the yfz would be better.

TrapZ400
09-20-2006, 08:40 PM
How much would it cost if I have my local dealer do it?

jonboy
09-20-2006, 09:05 PM
It all depends on the dealer. Suzuki has a time period required for each different job and what it cost, but, the dealer sets their own labor per hour cost. It may take two different people to do the job, then labor cost doubles due to the man hours involved. Then you have the parts cost. The point I am getting at is it could cost you $20 or it could cost you $120. I dont know how mechanicly inclined you are, but if it were me I would do it myself and save the expense from the dealer.:cool:

jonboy
09-20-2006, 09:11 PM
Besides if you believe that the mechanics at the dealer are morons(and you're probably right) then I would definately do it myself. I have had to do this very same thing on my KFX and it was a piece of cake.

pual0101
09-21-2006, 06:59 AM
i never stripped one but they can be harder than michael jackson at a daycare to bust loose

TrapZ400
09-21-2006, 05:00 PM
Its fixed now. My uncles own a farm and they helped me.
Thanks for the help guys. It really was easier than I thought.