PDA

View Full Version : What can I do to my stock silencer?

AtvMxRider
08-31-2002, 05:07 PM
What can I do to my stock silencer to help out performance. Gut it out, take out spark arrestor,What?

08-31-2002, 05:47 PM
take out the baffy if you can. I got a 300ex and I did that.but, I don't know if you can do it to a 400ex.but it helped me out alot.but, it did sound a little funny.but, then I got white bros. and have been loving it ever since.I've also heard you can saw the end of the pipe off.but I don't know if that will mess it up.

RED121572
08-31-2002, 06:21 PM
Kids, kids, kids....

If you remove your baffle, your carb is going to get cranky and start screaming at you to re jet it. Its going to be LOUD. Not a cool LOUD, but a "no one wants to hear it" LOUD.
And last, it will not improve performance, it will hurt it.

DO NOT mess with it. Only way to get more from your exhaust is to trash it and purchase an aftermarket kit.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.:D

$$$moneyex
08-31-2002, 11:09 PM
im with ya on the sound of it. i have a t4 and i took it off to clean it and but the stocker on for a day. i took out the baffle and it made me sick. it like gurgles when the revs drop. i say just buy and aftermarket one. its ALOT better.
you can also grind out the welds in your head pipe but im not too familare with that so ask someelse about it.

RideRed400EX
09-01-2002, 10:47 AM
I've had good luck with a mod stock exhaust.

Take out the spark arrester baffel and cut out the screen. Then at the rear of the exhaust there is a plate with a pipe coming through at the top. Drill a one inch hole in the center so the exhaust can flow straight through. Next you can grind out the welds in the header for even better flow.

I admit, this won't compare to most aftermarket systems but it's cheap alternative if you want more power.
'