PDA

View Full Version : Maintenace for a year?

Rip_Tear
08-31-2002, 04:57 PM
On the 400ex what do you guys do/recommend on a:
daily basis
monthly basis
and yearly basis

I just wonder when every kind of maintenanace needs to be done and when,

Thanks for all you replys.

yamaha1470
08-31-2002, 08:37 PM
After every ride or every other ride I:

1. Wash and clean the whole quad, clean the engine, and clean the seat and the plastics
2. Clean and lube air filter
3. Clean and lube the chain
4. Clean out the airbox and the little tube on the bottom of it
5. Check Tire Pressure

After Every Month I:

1. Oil and Oil Filter change every 20 Hours
2. Lube the steering stem if needed
3. Lube rear brake pedal if needed
4. Lube Clutch cable
5. Check and adjust if needed the clutch cable and throttle cable

After every year I:

1. I have not had my quad for a year yet but I would guess lube that swingarm pivot bolt I hear about and something else with the swingarm.
2. Also check the valves again if it ticks

Stevo
08-31-2002, 08:59 PM
Adjust Valves
Adjust Chain and lube
Grease a-arm/shock mounts
Grease top steering bushing
Grease swingarm, and rear shock bushings
Lube clutch cable
Clean air filter
Check whole quad for loose bolts or nuts

I've done this and have only had to replace the carrier. Plus keepin up on the filter and valve adjustments is really good too. I've had no trouble at all with my motor except i got bad gas one time, but none other than that!!

AtvMxRider
08-31-2002, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Stevo
Adjust Valves
Adjust Chain and lube
Grease a-arm/shock mounts
Grease top steering bushing
Grease swingarm, and rear shock bushings
Lube clutch cable
Clean air filter
Check whole quad for loose bolts or nuts

I've done this and have only had to replace the carrier. Plus keepin up on the filter and valve adjustments is really good too. I've had no trouble at all with my motor except i got bad gas one time, but none other than that!!

What kind of grease do you use?

yamaha1470
09-01-2002, 05:58 AM
i know ur not askin me but i have found a really good grease. It is a marine grease and is waterproof and is very good. Another good grease people here use is trailer bearing grease.

RideRed400EX
09-01-2002, 10:59 AM
I use belray waterproof grease and it holds up really well.

Another thing to check about one a year is the axle bearing carrier.

buck420
09-01-2002, 10:46 PM
what's the right adjustment for the valves?? does that make sense, i;m a little trashed right now .

09-03-2002, 08:58 PM
Where do you lube it at? I haven't found grease zerts so clearly not that way.. do you just squirt on the outside??? my dad would know the answer but guess what.. hes in the other room and im not going to make the walk.. im bein lazy:D ...and please dont judge me as a dumby off this one post.. this is my first but i'll be back here frequently now that ive found the webpage..

RideRed400EX
09-04-2002, 01:39 PM
There's no zerk on the stock carrier and the bearings are sealed. All you can do is pull out the carrier clean it up and load the whole thing with grease to keep the dirt from working it's way in.

Stevo
09-05-2002, 11:10 PM
I'm not really sure what grease it is. Grease is grease i guess i dunno:confused:

buck420
09-06-2002, 08:44 AM
sometimes if two greases are mixed thaey can counter act each other or there can be other bad reactions from the different chemicals being mixed. it's best to clean off the old grease then apply the new grease, unless you know for sure that they are the same.

lil400exman
09-09-2002, 07:37 PM
i use marine teflon trailer beqaring grease you get it at marinas and stuff its in a canister fom you have to have those special grease guns to use it i luvv that stuff!!:D

lil400exman
09-09-2002, 07:40 PM
well also take sand and where the airfilter meet and thhe airfilter take sand papaer and use rough sandpaper and clean it out real good then take axle grease and rub it in thos holes and all over it to add a extra safety precaustion then i put thin duct tape around where itmeets with a prefilter to be safe cause at haspin u only get 1 chance:( (i use fliterskins);)