PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Overtightened Cam Chain Tens Bolts

kennymac131
09-16-2006, 04:13 PM
Has anyone had this problem and if so please give your advice...

I was about to install my 11:1 piston and Stage 1 hot cam. Before I got too far I found that the lower cam chain tensioner bolt was WAY overtightened. I was able to get the upper bolt but the lower became stripped. I know its overtightened cuz I cracked my 3/8" drive 8mm socket.

So I ground down the boss surrounding the bolt...
1) tried sockets again... fail
2) Tried drilling thru the head of the bolt (across what flats were left), threaded a screw in for leverage, started applying torque - fail - bent the screw and I didn't want to break it off in the bolt head
3) Tried JB wleding a socket onto the bolt head - fail - just tore right off
4) Tried WELDING a socket right onto the bolt head - fail - tore right off

can't get vice grips on it, can't drill it out- no room for a drill, can't get the cyl off cuz I can't get the head off cuz I can't get the cam chain off!

I'm at my wits end - please help
Ken

GPracer2500
09-16-2006, 04:35 PM
Remove the center cap from the cam chain tensioner. Then you can relieve tension on the cam chain via the flat-head screwdriver slot in there.

Or, remove the cam sprocket bolts. Then you can remove the cam.

flauge
09-16-2006, 05:21 PM
What about using an easy-out? You tried that on the bolt yet?

kennymac131
09-16-2006, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys...
Easy out - no I would have if there was enough room to get a drill in there. I think I may be looking at engine removal if I can't get the cam/head/cyl out so I can drill and easy out.

I'm only familiar with four strokes in a general sense. I didn't know that there was an adjustment on the tensioner. Reliveing the tension and then taking the cam spoket out sounds like a good route at this point.

Thanks again,
Ken

kennymac131
09-16-2006, 08:22 PM
Thanks guys!
Releived the tension, removed the sproket bolts, and was able to remove the cam!
Got the head and cylinder out and began to easy out the bolt... we'll see what happens tomorrow. I'm too frustrated to go on tonite - I need a beer!:)

kennymac131
09-17-2006, 09:14 PM
Well the job is mostly done. Got the engine back together. Pobably about 20% more to go- body panels/airbox/exhaust. It wasn't easy, I never did get an easy out to work on that bolt. I wound-up drilling it out and inserting a heli-coil. We'll see if she holds up. Thanks again for your tips.

Ken

flauge
09-17-2006, 09:41 PM
That heli coil should hold up..
glad u got-r-done:cool: