PDA

View Full Version : SERIOUS question! Taking out oil filter, and putting it back in!

yellow400ex05
09-16-2006, 03:28 PM
Well I've never had to change an oil filter on my 250ex, so this would be a reasonable question... Anyway, Is it very hard to take out the old oil filter out of a 400ex and put a new one back in? I'm afraid I might screw up, and I will not take it to a dealer to change my oil for me.. I can't learn any younger sooo i like to do it myself i did it myself on my 250, is it similar besides having the oil filter? Tell Me if its really hard thanks in advance! u can give me tips or anything that helps as long as it answers my questions!

underpowered
09-16-2006, 03:38 PM
there is no real oil filer on a 250ex. there is an oil screen inside the cases, but that is a major job to get it out, requires splitting the cases and prtty much completely disassembling the motor. just drain the old and put in the new oil.

yellow400ex05
09-16-2006, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by underpowered
there is no real oil filer on a 250ex. there is an oil screen inside the cases, but that is a major job to get it out, requires splitting the cases and prtty much completely disassembling the motor. just drain the old and put in the new oil.

whoops man am i sorry lol, I meant for my 400ex lol sorry bout that!!!:o

underpowered
09-16-2006, 03:43 PM
2 bolts on the right hand side. pull them out, the oil fitler is right there. make sure to put it back in the right way, or else it will not flow the oil correctly and cause major damage.

400exrules
09-16-2006, 04:57 PM
if you dont know how to change the oil filter on a 400ex, you might want to get a clymers manual

2004exrider
09-16-2006, 08:12 PM
I will make this as simple for you as i can:) . Run the engine until its close to operating temperature. On the bottom of the oil reservoir there is a drain bolt, loosen it and drain the oil out of it. Now look on the bottom ride side engine case there is another drain bolt (underneath the brake pedal) empty the oil out of there. Now where the oil filter cover is take the two bolts out and take the oil filter out and put the new one in, it will say "this side out" so make sure that side is facing you. Now very carefully tighten down the oil filter bolts, they snap very easily so dont overtighten them. The owners manual says to now put in 1.8 quarts of oil but its easier to just put in 2 quarts. After putting in one quart turn your kill switch on and turn the engine over a few times otherwise all of the oil will accumulate in the oil reservoir and overflow. Now put the rest in it and your done. Start it up and make sure there arent any leaks!

Jimmy

1fst400
09-16-2006, 08:17 PM
in adition to that, just fyi that the oil wont pump with out the dip stick in the resivor for some reason. so when you are cranking it over, make shure you have the dip stick back in.

Hondarider440ex
09-16-2006, 08:41 PM
all four wheelers have a oil filters and we had a 250ex and we changed it also a 400ex oil filter is a piece of cake to change

GPracer2500
09-16-2006, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Hondarider440ex
all four wheelers have a oil filters and we had a 250ex and we changed it also a 400ex oil filter is a piece of cake to change

As previously stated, the 250ex only has a oil screen near the sump pickup. It's not a traditional, user replacable oil filter. AFAIK, the only way to get to it is to split the cases.