PDA

View Full Version : Front Wheel Drive????

400ex124
09-16-2006, 01:48 PM
Any body ever though of a front wheel drive drag quad?? is it even possible?? i was thinkin of trying it with an old blaster i have. if so any tips or pointers?

underpowered
09-16-2006, 01:52 PM
why? all the weight is transfered to the rear wheels on take off, a front wheel drive would just spin. an ideal drag run a bike, quad, car, whatever will carry the front wheels the entire length of the track. that way you dont have the drage of the wheels slowing you down and 100% of the weight is tarnsfered to the rear wheels for the best traction.

400ex124
09-16-2006, 02:05 PM
and??? i already had all that in mind, cuz your gunna have to re-arrange everything so if you put the right amount of weight up there it should grab perferct. plus im not really doin it to be the fastest thing out there. its just the fact of haven sumthin nobody else has, and in my mind theres nothin wrong with that.

Scott-300ex
09-16-2006, 02:12 PM
No wheelies, no power slides.

I remember though back in the day in the Dirt Bike magazine, they did it with a dirt bike.

400ex124
09-16-2006, 02:26 PM
what did they do with it hillclimb?

Scott-300ex
09-17-2006, 10:46 AM
Mainly to be different.:p

They ran mx tracks and everything.

If I remember right they said-"This will catch on and everyone will have one in 5 years."

:blah:

Quadracer#83
09-17-2006, 08:09 PM
I don't think it would be a good idea.. Like posted above, All the weight transfers to the rear tires thus giving you better traction. If you had front wheel drive you wouldnt have much weight on the front tires and they would spin a lot. I think it would take a lot of moding and fabbing to make it even work right.

Toadz400
09-17-2006, 11:38 PM
If anything, a lightweight AWD sport quad would be sweet. But I don't think it's very possible to have it done and still be lightweight.

firefighterjosh
09-17-2006, 11:59 PM
It would be cool to have a front wheel drive for hill climbing. The only problem is that if the front end isn' heavy enough it might start hopping up the hill.

Scott-300ex
09-18-2006, 01:12 PM
You guys all say traction but they make FWD cars, which I don't like but they make them.

Yeh, yeh, road vs. sand, dirt, rock. But just sayin.

coolguy8769
09-18-2006, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
If anything, a lightweight AWD sport quad would be sweet. But I don't think it's very possible to have it done and still be lightweight.

he's got the right idea!! to bad we'll never see it..........

Guy400
09-18-2006, 01:47 PM
Years and years ago somebody like Husqavarna, KTM or Cagiva had a 2 wheel drive prototype dirt bike. The front wheel was driven hydraulically. It was an enduro-type bike.

Guy400
09-18-2006, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by underpowered
an ideal drag run a bike, quad, car, whatever will carry the front wheels the entire length of the track. that way you dont have the drage of the wheels slowing you down and 100% of the weight is tarnsfered to the rear wheels for the best traction. That's not true. While skinny front tires are used for the least amount of rolling resistance you want the car planted. If you're carrying the front wheels you're getting air under the car which is far more aerodynamic drag than the rolling resistance of the tires. Drag car bodies are specifically designed to provide as much downforce as possible with the least amount of drag. The more downforce the less air they're pushing out of the way and the more the tires are being planted in the pavement.

YFZ450Ridr
09-18-2006, 01:53 PM
if you had a front wheel drive drag quad, wow you would eat some serious roost!

i dont think it would be such a hot idea though. on quads during a drag the front wheels almost skim across the top of the sand and dirt. while being front wheel drive the back wheels would be pressing very hard into the sand or dirt and make more drag. plus trying to hook up on the start would be a pain since alot of the weight of the rider and machine are in the back.

Guy400
09-18-2006, 01:55 PM
Torque steer would be a b--ch.

insaneracin2003
09-18-2006, 01:55 PM
I think it is a good idea,nothing wrong with experimentation.It will bring in a new class of dragracing.

400ex124
09-18-2006, 06:04 PM
ok guys IF i do it then it guna be with my blaster wish has benn bored 90, reed spacer, ported and polished... all in all, pretty much everything. im gunna re-arrange everything so there is enuff wieght to get just the right amount of traction without it being to heavy. also i was guna have like fins to keep the sand away from me, and the turning thing... thats gunna be a challenge, i have a feeling its not guna be turning that sharp, i might be looking at a rear steering?? i duno yet, but if i do it i'll let you know. and if it works AWSOME if it doesnt i still have a front wheel drive quad. may not be the fastest thing ever but it'll still be sweet to have one

Quadracer#83
09-18-2006, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
You guys all say traction but they make FWD cars, which I don't like but they make them.

Yeh, yeh, road vs. sand, dirt, rock. But just sayin.
FWD cars also have a few hundred pounds of motor and tranny over the tires as well... A quad would have about 100 maybe a little more....

Toadz400
09-19-2006, 11:56 AM
As for the problem of protecting yourself from roost, you could always use Bombardier's idea on the DS650. They have a plastic fender mounted behind the front wheels that always move with the wheels so even if you're taking a sharp turn it's still protecting you.