PDA

View Full Version : run cooler

81 clark racing
09-16-2006, 05:20 AM
well im going to instal the curtis sparks adv timeing key in my quad and im worried about it runing to hot any sug on how to help it run cooler? thanxs steve

Xater
09-16-2006, 07:16 AM
air scoops

krt400ex
09-16-2006, 08:54 AM
i posted in ur other one

2004exrider
09-16-2006, 09:48 AM
I wouldnt do it simply because you already have an aftermarket rev box that advances the timing. Theres a good chance of over advancement.

Jimmy

81 clark racing
09-16-2006, 09:56 AM
whats gunna happen if i have over advancement? didnt think that was possible

GPracer2500
09-16-2006, 10:21 AM
Heck ya it's possible. Too much ignition advance is essentially creating a condition of mild pre-ignition. Consequences of too much advance?....unusually high required octane rating, reduced combustion effeciency--especially at high RPM, and lots of extra heat.

Ignition advance is like most every other thing in an engine. More doesen't always mean better. There's a "sweet spot". Go beyond it and you've gone too far.

I'd find out exactly what your CDI is doing to your ignition curve before messing with the ign curve even more.

81 clark racing
09-16-2006, 10:32 AM
ok well what do u guys think i should do remove the rev box and instal the timeing key or vise versa? what will i get more from? or run them both with 93 octane. jus dnt want 2 have 2 muc heat

81 clark racing
09-16-2006, 06:55 PM
?

2004exrider
09-16-2006, 07:57 PM
well, is your dyna ignition a programable one that you can adjust the rev limit and timing advancement on, or is it pre set. If its adjustable then forget about the sparks key. If not, then its pretty much up to you. Do you want the extra RPM's + some timing advancement incase you do decide to put in a different piston and cam down the road, or do you just want the sparks that only adds timing. But i wouldnt suggest running both, i dont think 93 would cut it anyways you'll more than likely have to do a 50/50 mix of a higher octane with 93.

Jimmy

1fst400
09-16-2006, 08:14 PM
IMO stock motor with rev box and timing advance key would be fine. Run some synthetic oil, mabie I +1 quart oil tank and you will be fine.

if you had a high comp piston along with cheeter head and base gasket I would say you would be pushing it then.

But on a stock motor, I say let er rip. If its slower when you put the advance key in then take it out, altho I doubt you will have any problems with it.

there are signs of to much timing. You will be able to tell what is going on before its to late.

81 clark racing
09-17-2006, 06:02 AM
the rev box is pre set. so no adj. i think ima run the key cuz i dont really care for the rev boxes because im usually not tacked out plus the problems they cause starting. ill be fine to run 93 oct with jus they key right? and heat shouldnt b a problem then?

81 clark racing
09-17-2006, 06:04 AM
y would it be slower with the key?also how do i no if i have 2 much timeing?

Originally posted by 1fst400
IMO stock motor with rev box and timing advance key would be fine. Run some synthetic oil, mabie I +1 quart oil tank and you will be fine.

if you had a high comp piston along with cheeter head and base gasket I would say you would be pushing it then.

But on a stock motor, I say let er rip. If its slower when you put the advance key in then take it out, altho I doubt you will have any problems with it.

there are signs of to much timing. You will be able to tell what is going on before its to late.

krt400ex
09-17-2006, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by 81 clark racing
y would it be slower with the key?also how do i no if i have 2 much timeing?

if u over advance the timing then the bike will not run properly, thus it will probably be slower. but like he said, i would try it first. if u notice that it does not want to startor it is running poorly then take the key out.

81 clark racing
09-17-2006, 06:59 AM
yea im just not going 2 run the rev box screw it. im worried about 2 much heat. wil b all set with the key and 93 oct also what type of gains will i notice with the key? thanxs alot guys

1fst400
09-17-2006, 05:21 PM
I ran a sparks advance key on my 416 motor, 10.8:1 comp piston. cheeter gaskets, and lots of other stuff to make it go fast. I took the key out because I was sick of running c-12. I never had much problems with it over heating.

09-18-2006, 08:26 AM
Bigger oil coolers are said to lower temps by as much as 50 degrees
Bigger oil tanks can lower temps by 10 degrees
Air scoops probably only 5 degrees
The hood is said to allow 30% more air to motor.

You can run 2 400ex stock oil coolers instead of buying a new big one.

The richer the jetting the cooler it runs.

A aftermarket pipe that flows more over stock will reduce motor temp.

400ex's can handle a lot more heat than most motors like the xr650.

2004exrider
09-18-2006, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by slow
The richer the jetting the cooler it runs.

Yep, but you also start getting issues of slight power loss.

Jimmy

jonboy
09-18-2006, 03:50 PM
You can use Exhaust wrap or also known as header wrap to help keep cooler temps. It is an especially good idea for air cooled motors. It'll help keep the heat in the head pipe and help keep the ambient heat from blowing onto your motor

400eXr1d3rZ
09-18-2006, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by 2004exrider
Yep, but you also start getting issues of slight power loss.

Jimmy

And eventually carbon buildup.

09-19-2006, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by jonboy
You can use Exhaust wrap or also known as header wrap to help keep cooler temps. It is an especially good idea for air cooled motors. It'll help keep the heat in the head pipe and help keep the ambient heat from blowing onto your motor

That can also add porformance but i think It only adds porformance on really high hp motors by keeping the gasses in the header hotter.