PDA

View Full Version : How to rig an election. Scary!!

Aceman
09-16-2006, 01:48 AM
Found this video about a Diebold voting machine. Princeton University got ahold of one of these voting machines and found a way to insert a virus that could steal votes. :eek2:

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/54130/Princeton_University_Shows_How_To_Steal_Votes.html

Guy400
09-16-2006, 04:30 AM
What that doesn't show you is that the test performed by that university did not use the latest software. It's just another hack at electronic voting. Princeton introduced a virus into a machine that's not online anywhere at any time. What's someone going to do, walk into the polling place, disassemble the voting machine, install a virus and put it back together? And if you think it could be done by a poll worker before the voting opens than they're dishonest anyway and they couldn't be trusted with paper ballots either. People seem to be so totally against electronic voting because of risk of fraud. When you punched a paper ballot and dropped it in a box you didn't get any sort of receipt for your vote so once you walk away you have no idea what goes on from there. How's that any more secure than an electronic voting machine. People are simply scared of anything new. In 10 years we'll all be voting with e-machines and not thinking a thing of it. Here's the response to that "test" dated 9/13/06.

"Three people from the Center for Information Technology Policy and Department of Computer Science at Princeton University today released a study of a Diebold Election Systems AccuVote-TS unit they received from an undisclosed source. The unit has security software that was two generations old, and to our knowledge, is not used anywhere in the country. Normal security procedures were ignored. Numbered security tape, 18 enclosure screws and numbered security tags were destroyed or missing so that the researchers could get inside the unit. A virus was introduced to a machine that is never attached to a network."

"By any standard - academic or common sense - the study is unrealistic and inaccurate."

"The current generation AccuVote-TS software - software that is used today on AccuVote-TS units in the United States - has the most advanced security features, including Advanced Encryption Standard 128 bit data encryption, Digitally Signed memory card data, Secure Socket Layer (SSL) data encryption for transmitted results, dynamic passwords, and more."

"These touch screen voting stations are stand-alone units that are never networked together and contain their own individual digitally signed memory cards."

"In addition to this extensive security, the report all but ignores physical security and election procedures. Every local jurisdiction secures its voting machines - every voting machine, not just electronic machines. Electronic machines are secured with security tape and numbered security seals that would reveal any sign of tampering."

"Diebold strongly disagrees with the conclusion of the Princeton report. Secure voting equipment, proper procedures and adequate testing assure an accurate voting process that has been confirmed through numerous, stringent accuracy tests and third party security analysis."

"Every voter in every local jurisdiction that uses the AccuVote-TS should feel secure knowing that their vote will count on Election Day."

Aceman
09-16-2006, 07:58 AM
Thanks for your input Guy. It's nice to see the other side of the story. Clearly, Princeton Univ. was not telling the whole story when they used a machine with outdated software that's never part of a network.:rolleyes:

MOFO
09-16-2006, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Aceman
Thanks for your input Guy. It's nice to see the other side of the story. Clearly, Princeton Univ. was not telling the whole story when they used a machine with outdated software that's never part of a network.:rolleyes:

Guy beat me to it ... I hate it when people dont know what they are talking about spew crap out and claim it to be facts.

We have been protecting your money since computers were introduced into the banking industry and 100 years before that. I think we can handle some voting machines without issues! :D ;)

Anytime a company gets involved with something that is related to politics, these idiots come out of the wood work and attempt to drag the company through the mud.

NorCalRacer
09-16-2006, 09:01 AM
I think die-bold is full of it. I wish I had the link, but someone has hacked a new one as part of a test (that die-bold tried to back out of at the last minute) and has said they will never be secure. I know I don't trust them one bit, I think someones brother owns the company or something because those machines sure were put on the fast track :rolleyes:

MOFO
09-16-2006, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by NorCalRacer
I think die-bold is full of it. I wish I had the link, but someone has hacked a new one as part of a test (that die-bold tried to back out of at the last minute) and has said they will never be secure. I know I don't trust them one bit, I think someones brother owns the company or something because those machines sure were put on the fast track :rolleyes:

blah, blah, blah... did you even bother to read what was posted above. How are they hacking into them? If they found a way to hack into them, what stopped them from YEARS AGO of changing PAPER freakin ballots?? :rolleyes: These machines work great, as I pointed out before, all you need to do is insert politics and the idiots come out of the wood work - as we just saw here.

"The current generation AccuVote-TS software - software that is used today on AccuVote-TS units in the United States - has the most advanced security features, including Advanced Encryption Standard 128 bit data encryption, Digitally Signed memory card data, Secure Socket Layer (SSL) data encryption for transmitted results, dynamic passwords, and more."

"These touch screen voting stations are stand-alone units that are never networked together and contain their own individual digitally signed memory cards."

"In addition to this extensive security, the report all but ignores physical security and election procedures. Every local jurisdiction secures its voting machines - every voting machine, not just electronic machines. Electronic machines are secured with security tape and numbered security seals that would reveal any sign of tampering."

Using the procedure above, please tell me where the issue is? If someone wants to change votes, its 100x easier to change the paper ballot! :rolleyes: I never heard anyone complain about that!

NorCalRacer
09-16-2006, 09:22 AM
I still believe that it is giving a corporation a foothold in our government. I think that die-bold could make the machines say whatever they want and we wouldn't know, only they would. I don't trust any major corporation these days and it is ridiculous in my opinion to trust a company with matters of national security, and THEY are the only ones saying it's safe. I'm not worrying about the election hall, I don't trust the manufacturer. BLAH BLAH:blah:

swampfoxsc
09-16-2006, 09:44 AM
A voting machine scandal of any magnitude that points the finger at a corporation backed by any specific political party would then be political suicide for that party. It not worth the risk and it's really a non-issue.:rolleyes:

MOFO
09-16-2006, 09:53 AM
I still believe that it is giving a corporation a foothold in our government. I think that die-bold could make the machines say whatever they want and we wouldn't know, only they would. I don't trust any major corporation these days and it is ridiculous in my opinion to trust a company with matters of national security, and THEY are the only ones saying it's safe. I'm not worrying about the election hall, I don't trust the manufacturer. BLAH BLAH:blah:

Then I suggest you go sit in a dark corner with tin foil on your head...

You actually think a company that has been around for over 150 years and has grown to become a fairly large international company would risk it all by changing votes that really do not affect our business. :rolleyes: You do understand our company is used to protect the majority of $$$$$$$$ in our country as well as the founding documents that this country was built on. Trust is not an issue with Diebold, I can PROMISE you that!!!

...while your at it, watch out for those black helicopters flying over your house.

NorCalRacer
09-16-2006, 10:04 AM
You're a little over-kill there, I don't believe in conspiracy. I just believe that companies put their interests first, no matter what. I may be mistaken but today's large corporations, especially in my neck of the woods, have not given me much faith in companies "looking out for people." I will never be swayed that we should have a machine take our votes but that doesn't mean I believe Diebold is corrupt, I just believe they are more CAPABLE of being corrupt on a national level and that scares me. I also know that the paper system isn't perfect, but one bad apple can do alot less damage in an election hall than bad machines could.
There has NEVER been any evidence that the machines have miscounted an election, I will concede to that, but I know machines and computers aren't perfect.

And I love my country and government and even support American economy whenever possible, don't think aliens shape world policy and I don't think the towers were nuked, so no tin foil hats for me, thanks:blah:

antipickle
09-16-2006, 02:03 PM

since when did you think that corporations don't control the
government? (think oil) (think bush family owns oil business)
(think oil having record profits, no oil shortage anywhere)
(think govt telling workers during hurricane katrina to fix power
to oil lines before hospitals)

and why would they hack some voting system when they all
control and inform us of the output???

Guy400
09-16-2006, 04:06 PM
You're a little over-kill there, I don't believe in conspiracy. I just believe that companies put their interests first, no matter what.You're absolutely right, Diebold does put their interests first. That interest is providing an electronic voting machine that is 100% accurate. Eric and I both work at Diebold and I can tell you for a fact that there are no nefarious intentions with our product. If any company in the e-voting world intentionally rigged an election they would be completely out of business. Trust me, the corporate folks want to get paid more than they want to see a pal get in office...I can promise you that. A paper ballot in a "secure" box is no more protected than an electronic voting machine. If a poll worker is willing to commit fraud on an electronic voting machine than they're just as likely to commit fraud with paper ballots. Who's to say that when that box is driven from the local polling place to the central office that someone doesn't do a switch-a-roo. The American public is just as deprived of an honest election. All these crack websites that show monkeys manipulating these terminals is absolutely absurd. While it tricks the weak-minded it completely ignores facts.