PDA

View Full Version : Long Signatures

Toadz400
09-16-2006, 12:35 AM
In my opinion there should be a strict limit on how long a signature can be. I did a search and the last time this was brought up in the Comments and Suggestions was back in 2003. People seemed in favor of having as long of a signature as you wanted back then, but I think it's gotten out of hand as more and more people are abusing it.

The reason why I bring this up is because even with my high speed internet it's getting pretty ridiculous with how long it takes to load a page to a thread that I soon find out is basically all signatures and no information! I don't want to even think what people with dial-up internet are going through with these long signatures. And yes, I know you'll probably bring up the fact that you CAN turn off the ability to view other's signatures but I like being able to see what quads or mods people have, it's just that the length is getting way, way out of hand. This is just a suggestion, but YFZCentral has a 6 line limit for signatures, I believe that's a little too strict as something around the line of 8-10 lines would be plenty for anyone to list their quads/vehicles and modifications.

I don't see why people are so protective over their signatures when most of it is either empty space or lack of efficient space use. I know a lot of signatures could easily be cut down to a reasonable size without even removing any content.

The reason why I brought up this issue is because I just opened up a thread in the Powertrain section and the first and second post made took up each one page...both of the posts were only a few words each, the rest were the signatures. I believe it's totally unacceptable and you'll notice that most of the members with long signatures (not all of them) are younger people who for some reason think that the longer their signature is the more popular they'll be. This could cut down on a lot of bandwith useage and make it a lot easier to keep track of the posts and information.

If the mods are looking for an "Editor of Signatures" I would glady step up to the plate. I guarantee I would be able to cut down most threads by half the size just through taking out useless space and condensing signatures without deleting any of the information.

Thanks for reading,

- Neal

81 clark racing
09-19-2006, 05:00 AM
i got dial up still an it takes 3-5mins no lie sumtimes it sucks

rebelbuggy
09-19-2006, 06:48 AM
yeah some are really long, Im on DSL and it does take long sometimes to load, autally i find it takes longer to post a post then to load a page. but seem to be ALOT of users on here.

ZSK
09-22-2006, 07:35 AM
Have you tried simply changing your user options? You can select to not view signatures.

Toadz400
09-22-2006, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by ZSK
Have you tried simply changing your user options? You can select to not view signatures.

Did you even read what I said?

"And yes, I know you'll probably bring up the fact that you CAN turn off the ability to view other's signatures but I like being able to see what quads or mods people have, it's just that the length is getting way, way out of hand."

firefighterjosh
09-22-2006, 01:02 PM
Mine ust to be alot longer. But I deleted most of it. I would say 10 Lines would be a good Maximum. But long sigs don't really bother me.

ZSK
09-22-2006, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Did you even read what I said?

"And yes, I know you'll probably bring up the fact that you CAN turn off the ability to view other's signatures but I like being able to see what quads or mods people have, it's just that the length is getting way, way out of hand."

Yes I did read what you posted. I guess giving a suggestion is no longer an accepted use of bandwith on these forums, I willl do my best to inform the other 55,000 members that they no longer need to offer suggestions and provide information to help other members.

Toadz400
09-23-2006, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by ZSK
Yes I did read what you posted. I guess giving a suggestion is no longer an accepted use of bandwith on these forums, I willl do my best to inform the other 55,000 members that they no longer need to offer suggestions and provide information to help other members.

Well what's the point of repeating something I said? If anyone actually read my comment/suggestion they would find out that you can actually change it to have signatures turned off. I don't get why you're trying to make me look like the a-hole here.

I have actually used that option and disabled the signatures because I was just sick and tired of seeing and waiting for all these long signatures to load. Now whenever I see a post asking advice on jetting or something dealing with "check out my mods in my sig" I can't help them now can I? And it'd be pretty annoying to have to go into the options and re-enable signatures everytime I want to try and help someone with jetting or I have to ask them to post out all their mods. Then they'll ask me why not just look in their sig, then I'll have to explain to them why, and so on. I just think the signatures are getting out of hand and I don't get why there isn't any rule for rediculously long signatures and/or enforcement upon it. Just my opinion I guess.

killed300ex
12-18-2006, 04:37 AM
I think that there should definitly be a limit to signatures. I enjoy seeing what people have done to thier wheelers because it gives me ideas on what I will do next to mine. I know I can shut them off but it is more benificial to have them on. I do think that there are a couple people who have taken this overboard. I think that if we were given 10 lines you can fit everything that is important and still give members an accurate description of your bike. Not to point fingers but when 1 sig takes up more than one full screen on my computer something is wrong. Ran across this one today I think if you look close you will even find he tells you what is still stock on his bike.

2001 Honda 416EX
Chassis | Suspension | Controls:

Frame: Custom Trans Blue Powder Coating, and Gussets - BK Performance
Sub-Frame: Chrome Sub-frame, Motor mounts, and Heat shield - S&H plating
A Arms: +3 Roll Design Lobo II Front end, Custom Trans Blue Powder Coating
Swingarm: Custom Trans Blue Powder Coating
Steering Stem: Chrome Anti-Vibe Lonestar +1+1 steering stem
Stabilizer: Denton Steeing stabilizer
Axle: Chrome Axcalibur Lonestar +4 axle
Carrier: Lonestar Twin Row Billet Bearing Carrier
Locknut: Lonestar AntiFade
Hubs F|R: Custom Trans Blue Powder Coating
Bars: Renthal Bars, Custom bar Pad
Throttle/Clutch Lever: ASV CLUTCH LEVER or Magura Hydro Clutch (ALTERNATE)
Grips: TAGS
Nerfs: Fat LASER ETCHED Tusk 3/8 thick Nerf Bars
Bumper: Chrome Duncan Race front Bumper
Grab Bar: DirtSkins Grab Bar Cover
Front Shocks: Custom Axis Racing Triple Rate Shocks
Rear Shock: Custom Axis Dual Rate Shock
Brake Lines: Russell +3 Stainless steel Braided Brake Lines
Rotors F|R: Stockers
Rims F|R:4+1 Fronts Hiper Wheel, 4+5 Rears Hiper Wheels
Tires F|R: 450r 22X7X10 front tires, Ohtsu 20X10X9 rear tires

Body:

Plastic: 2006 Black OEM Plastics
Graphics|Seat Cover: K&K ATV Blue tribal flame graphics, and seat cover
Number Backgrounds: N/A
Handguards: N/A
Bar Pad: Custom
Fuel Tank: Clarke 5.5 gallon tank

Engine|Drive System:

Cylinder|Head: Custom Molycoat Head, and Cylinder
BK Performance
Kibblewhite +1mm oversized Valves, Ported, and polished

Bore & Stroke: 87mm Wiseco Forged Piston, 70mm stock stroke
Displacement: 11:1
Cam: Hot Cam Stage 2, and Heavy duty Cam Chain
Carburetor: Sparks Racing Kehihn 39mm FCR Carb
Air Filter|Box: K&N filter kit
Pipe|Silencer: Polished White Brothers E-Series Pro Meg Full Exhaust
Clutch|Plates: NEW FACTORY HONDA
Gearing F|R: 14T Steel SunStar, and 38T White Brothers Racing Aluminum Sprocket
CDI|Killswitch: White brother Rev Limiter, PRO DESIGN KILL SWITCH
Cooling: Molycoated Head and Cylinder to dissipate heat
Other:
Custom Trans Blue Vein Side Covers BK Performance
450R headlight assembly
Houser Wristrester
450R Pegs
Hinson Brake pedal
Custom Diamond plated Battery cover
Custom axis Shock Covers
DG side frame guards
PRM swing-arm, and full body skids
Custom shrouds (air scoops) stainless steel
JRD custom Rezzie Clamps
HARDKOR MASTER CYLINDER, and THROTTLE COVER
Lonestar E-Brake Block off
K&K ATV CASE Saver

Toadz400
12-20-2006, 07:40 PM
Thank you killed300ex, I too like having the signatures and it helps with seeing what people have on their quads and what-not, but too many people are abusing it. Ten lines would be a pretty good base line to go off of, a signature that takes up an entire page is absolutely ridiculous.