PDA

View Full Version : 06 450r vs. 06 Banshee

sean3393
09-15-2006, 09:59 PM
Went ridin today and raced my buddy on his 06 banshee. I've got an 06 R w/ HMF slip on & some jet work on carb, and his banshee is all stock, both bikes stock suspension. I can beat the banshee in a drag (if i keep the tires on the ground during launch), and on top end the banshee just barely, and i mean BARELY gets around me. There's prob less than a half M.P.H. difference on top end speed between the bikes.

This was the first time i've really got to race my bike since i've got it (had it about a month now) and had an awesome time doin it.

Anyway, do the results of the race sound right, given the mods on my R vs. the stock banshee?? Now i'm thinkin i need to make it faster :D

NJChris
09-16-2006, 01:26 AM
I think you shoulda smoked him, no sweat.

beastlyone
09-16-2006, 06:00 AM
HRC kit my man, that should do the trick

CHEVYZ
09-16-2006, 06:22 AM
HRC is where it is at. My bike consistantly leaves my buddies 06 with full Yoshi exhaust, a rev box, and airfilter by at least 3 bikes no matter who is riding it. I notice I have alot more through the gears, and the top-end is just insane now. All I have is the HRC kit with a few things done to the stock parts. :p

chad502ex
09-16-2006, 08:15 AM
rumor has it that the 08 banshee will be totally sick!

sean3393
09-16-2006, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by NJChris
I think you shoulda smoked him, no sweat.

I was walkin away from him in the 1/4, had him by 3 bikes or more each time, but a couple times we kept racin past the 1/4 mark and it would take a while, but he would barely get around. I'm thinkin i could try the green wire mod. If i could gain just 1 m.p.h. on top end he would never catch me.

You guys with the HRC kits, does it give good gains on the top end speed??

Doober
09-16-2006, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by chad502ex
rumor has it that the 08 banshee will be totally sick!

i thought they stopped making the banshee:confused:

comrad
09-16-2006, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Doober
i thought they stopped making the banshee:confused:
Yeah... Thats the point.... :rolleyes:

rlplive
09-16-2006, 06:46 PM
I am not bein a prick here, but take him in the woods or on the track and you will spank him. I guess I am not that into drag racing quads though. Seems like your 06 shoulda beat the banshee though. How much dif are you guys in weight?

GIXXER1KR
09-16-2006, 08:18 PM
The Banshee is a 350 twin 2 stroke what do u expect.U gotta hand to the Banshee!!Its a sick 2stroke.Probably the best drag quad ever!!!!U are comparing apples and oranges.My 2 stroke gives my HRC kit R a run for the money till it runs outta gears!!!!!!And this dont compare to a Banshhee thats is modded as much as my built quadracer!!!

Flodies400ex
09-17-2006, 12:09 AM
well they are good bikes but I raced a bunch of banshees and I beat every single 1 of them but a couple of weeks ago a banshee beat me but I havnt took in my quad yet for the first tuneup and so my valves I think where going out and you should have np beating a banshee with the hrc kit

sean3393
09-17-2006, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by rlplive
I am not bein a prick here, but take him in the woods or on the track and you will spank him. I guess I am not that into drag racing quads though. Seems like your 06 shoulda beat the banshee though. How much dif are you guys in weight?

did beat the banshee (read my other post). I agree with you, trail/track is no contest w/ the banshee, thats why we dragged, and i still won. Anyway, i thought i did good against it on top end, given 5spd vs. 6spd bike. <.5 mph is not much dif at all, and it took at least a 1.5 mile long race before he could catch me. Besides, most people don't drag that far, we just did it for fun.

My buddy has the weight advantage, i've got 50lbs+ on him.

Toadz400
09-17-2006, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by sean3393
did beat the banshee (read my other post). I agree with you, trail/track is no contest w/ the banshee, thats why we dragged, and i still won. Anyway, i thought i did good against it on top end, given 5spd vs. 6spd bike. <.5 mph is not much dif at all, and it took at least a 1.5 mile long race before he could catch me. Besides, most people don't drag that far, we just did it for fun.

My buddy has the weight advantage, i've got 50lbs+ on him.

Banshee's are horribly restricted in their stock stage and you should've given him a much better run for the money than barely keeping ahead of him the entire time. Even a piped Banshee should have trouble keeping up with your slightly modified 450 (I own a Banshee and a YFZ450 so I'm not being biased here ;) ) in a drag.

As for the 5 spd vs 6 spd, you probably have the advantage there as the 450R's are known for their wider gear ratio. Banshee's and YFZ's have the same final drive ratio even though there is an extra gear for the 'Shee. Most 2-stroke quads got the 6-spd gearbox because 2-strokes obviously don't have the torque of a 4-stroke, thus the extra gear is needed to space out the gearing so the gear ratio can be higher per gear so as not to drop out of the powerband in each gear. The extra gear allows them to obtain the same final gear ratio of a 5-spd 4-stroke transmission. If you put the Banshee transmission in a YFZ it would have the same top speed but it would go through the gears much quicker.

And as for racing in the woods, it's all about the rider. I myself can ride my Banshee through the woods faster than I can on my YFZ. And for the weight advantage, the Banshee weighs about 40 lbs more than the YFZ/450R so there goes his weight advantage. The Banshee stock also puts out about the same horsepower that your 450R does stock or with some minor mods. So it's really comes down to who is the better rider/dragger.