PDA

View Full Version : MY 400 has no POWER!

kaneman23
08-31-2002, 02:59 PM
I just got through installing my RAD locknut and took it for a spin around the block. It was running great and then I came home and rinsed it off some. I took it around the block again to help dry it off and noticed I had no throttle and a bad miss. It idles fine but when I get into the throttle it wants to cut off. I took it back home and did some quick troubleshooting. I changed the plug, cleaned the filter and sprayed some carb/choke cleaner into the carb. I then messed with the idle screw but nothing seemed to help. Oil is good, clutch is good, compression has always been good and it doesn't smoke. I think there is a problem with the carb\Jetting or the ignition system. Any ideas on what I should check next? Thanks,
Justin

BTW, My only engine mods are WB E-series slipon, KN filter, and 165 mainjet

skemp
08-31-2002, 03:53 PM
I think maybe you got some water on your air filter when you rinsed it off, and when you try to open it up it sucks in air and bogs. Otherwise, your main jet has probably fallen out. Take off the drain plug on the float bowl and you will know.

Doibugu2
08-31-2002, 03:57 PM
This happened twice to us. Once to me and once to my buddy. The day before our quads would be fine, then the next it would idle ok, then as soon as you would give it some gas, it would start to die. I think some crap got in the carb. Here is how we fixed it.

Take off your air filter and while holding a rag tight in your hand stuff it in the air intake and give it a bunch of gas. Don't let it die, take your hand out then do it again. Sometimes it will take a time or two to get the crap sucked through your carb.

kaneman23
08-31-2002, 03:57 PM
I don't think its water on the filter because I didn't wash it much and I have an outerwears on the filter. But it could be the mainjet. What do you mean by removing the drain plug from the float bowl? Will the Jet be sitting in the bowl?

kaneman23
08-31-2002, 05:01 PM
If my jet is sitting in the float bowl, am I in danger of my motor injesting the jet? I bet that jet would do a number on my cylinder!

kaneman23
08-31-2002, 05:02 PM
I will have to try that tomorrow. I think I am going to take the carb off and clean it out tomorrow..

later,
Justin

skemp
08-31-2002, 06:56 PM
Don't worry, there is no way a mian jet will find its way into your motor unless you put it there. Just go about it like you are going to change the main. Take out the plug in the bottom of the carb and make sure the main jet is snug.

kaneman23
09-01-2002, 12:43 PM
Any more idea's? I took the carb apart today and the jet was fine. I cleaned it up with some carb cleaner and installed everything again. Still no power. My motor just wont rev! Could it be the ignition system, coil, or spart plug boot? I am running out of ideas here! HELP!:mad: :grr :mad: :grr :confused: :mad: :grr :confused: :( :( :

00Red400EX
09-01-2002, 12:47 PM
when you checked you jet did you have to pull the carb off or did you just pull the bottom half off with the carb still attached. Thanks

--Josh

kaneman23
09-01-2002, 01:52 PM
I pulled the whole carb off. I checked all the fuel lines and hoses to make sure there wasn't any obstructions. Then I unbolted the float bowl and the jet was still there and tight. This problem happened all of the sudden. It was running fine and then it started running like crap. I don't think its the carb or bad gas. I am beginning to think its electrical.

00Red400EX
09-01-2002, 01:59 PM
Maybe the spark plug got wet inside the boot. Take it off and look down in it.

--Josh

flying400ex
09-01-2002, 10:13 PM
When you were washing your quad you probably got your stator wet. When you get your stator wet it feels like it just doesnt rev out and it bogs, so if i were you ide check the stator.

eldoexrider01
09-02-2002, 12:54 AM
im not tryin to make anyone look bad including myself. but isnt the stator in the engine??? jus a ???? and it says that ur runnin a 165mj.. im hopin if u live anywhere below 3000ft that u have ur air box lid off. cuz when i washed mine once i put the lid on for saftey and rode it to dry it off and i would slow down gas it and it would cut out then start back again. ijus makin suggestions from my mess-ups

kaneman23
09-02-2002, 04:43 PM
:p :p

The problem was the armset that lifts the needle in the Carb. The plate that attaches to and lifts the throttle valve or needle assembly had come apart somehow. The screws backed out and when I opened the top plate on the carb they were just sitting there!! This explains it ALL!! The last few weeks I have felt like my throttle response was gone! Since I fixed the problem, it has felt like a whole new machine. Can you say BEAST!! I took it for a short ride and everything is running awesome.. Thanks for the help fellas.

Justin

yellowrider
09-02-2002, 08:04 PM
make sure your choke isnt on !

my buddie got so nervous today when his 4 wheeler missed ... and i noticed the choke was on but i didnt tel lhim till he started getting really stupid and grumpy that was some funny stuff let me tell you

ahaha

mxracer08
09-02-2002, 08:20 PM
i had that happen to me a little bit before the practice at a race a few months ago. I opened up the carb and it was all apart so i put it back together and it still missed out so i took it apart again and it was together. So i searched around and found that my main jet had fallen out too. All w/ about 10 min till i had to be out on the track. Talk about frustrating.