PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else homebrew?

Guy400
09-15-2006, 06:19 PM
Anyone else brew there own beer? I just bottled my first batch of lager tonight. My buddy already bottled a batch of pilsner and is almost ready to bottle his IPA. I'm anxious to see how it comes out. I dated a girl years ago who's dad brewed his own and that was the best damn beer I've ever had.

Pappy
09-15-2006, 06:20 PM
I dont brew, but I chug:cool:

Guy400
09-15-2006, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
I dont brew, but I chug:cool: LMAO...that's the point! For what I was buying beer for I can make myself for just about 1/2. A 6-pack of a typical light beer (Bud Light or Miller Lite) is $4.99. I can brew a 6-pack for $2.60 :D My next batch is going to be an oatmeal stout and from there I'm going to make a Killian's Red clone.

NorCalRacer
09-15-2006, 06:29 PM
I've made beer, ale, stout and mead:devil: Mead was the only thing made from scratch though, the rest I just bought kits and followed the recipe. Alot of work for 4-5 12 packs of beer but definitely worth it. I plan to make some more soon.

09-15-2006, 06:41 PM
I thought you meant brewing something else. If that's the case, I'll keep myself from getting in trouble and just saying "yes".

JOEX
09-15-2006, 07:22 PM
I brewed a batch from a Mr. Beer kit a few years ago. It was a lager but I don't remember the flavor. It didn't carbonate properly and was a bit too friuty for me, worked great for cooking with though:D

I've been wanting to try it again but haven't taken the time yet...

Guy400
09-15-2006, 07:56 PM
I've got a deluxe kit that comes with a ton of different stuff (hydrometer, glass fermenter, siphon, bottling wand, etc.). The most kick *** part is that it makes 5 gallons of beer per batch:macho

Stevie-D
09-15-2006, 08:05 PM
hahah...thought you were referring to moonshine:D

i've seen a few stills around..you'd be surprised what you find out here in the boonies:chinese:

i've never attempted to make my own...but i have seen some of my friends make their own still and make moonshine with it. hahaha...never did try theirs...

250x_kyle
09-15-2006, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Stevie-D
hahah...thought you were referring to moonshine:D

i've seen a few stills around..you'd be surprised what you find out here in the boonies:chinese:

i've never attempted to make my own...but i have seen some of my friends make their own still and make moonshine with it. hahaha...never did try theirs...
haha hmmm sounds like my neck of the woods here in northern pa

mstrav1
09-15-2006, 09:27 PM
my neighbor is making some as well. He had me weld some tubes and install a coil inside a 5-gallon stainless steel pot with 3/4" connections. It will be the heat ex-changer for some type of cooling process. Seems kind of frankenstein, but he was all excited about the parts I made. I guess he will make me try it!! I'll stick to my budlight I think!!!!!!

NorCalRacer
09-15-2006, 09:37 PM
After the malt and hops are boiled into "wort", it needs to cool to room temperature before yeast can be added and it can go into the primary fermenter. To make the process quicker you drop a copper coil into the boiled wort and run cold water through it, compressing a five hour process down into less then a half hour.

Honda400exrox
09-15-2006, 09:43 PM
what does moonshine taste like?

Guy400
09-16-2006, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by Honda400exrox
what does moonshine taste like? Depends on who makes it and how it's made. I had drank some shine that was more amber colored (think iced tea when half the ice melts) and it tasted sort of 'woody'. It was actually pretty good. On another occasion I drank a clear shine that tasted pretty close to rubbing alcohol:scary:

Lowcountrydave
09-16-2006, 05:52 AM
How long does it take to brew beer anyways?

Dave

Guy400
09-16-2006, 06:28 AM
It depends on the kind of beer you're making. My lager fermented for 7 days and then I bottled it. It now has to stay bottled in a refridgerator for anywhere from 3 to 12 weeks. My buddies pilsner only fermented for 5 days and has to stay bottled for 3 weeks in a cool, dry place (his basement) out of sunlight. The biggest problem is the first batch. Once you get a cycle going you'll never have to wait for beer:muscle:

trick250r
09-16-2006, 06:34 AM
ive always heard that you shouldnt drink shine thats not perfectly clear... could be dangerous.

ugottabayou
09-16-2006, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by trick250r
ive always heard that you shouldnt drink shine thats not perfectly clear... could be dangerous.

Yea I was curious awhile back about the process of making shine, and what I searched up on the internet said that some shiner's will add things to their shine that makes it "burn" more, and make it unique to them... Some things they added that I thought was crazy were things like wood alcohol, and embalming fluid. Drink too much of somebody's odd shine and it can kill you not from alcohol poisoning but from some of the things in it.

coolex
09-16-2006, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by trick250r

ive herd this to i dont think its true, but i know you can die from drinking inexperienced brewers shine, if they mess it up

fatkid400
09-20-2006, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Honda400exrox
what does moonshine taste like?

Some actually taste pretty good.My buddy made some peach shine once and it was really good(even for peach).We sampled it many times:devil: However you can get some that taste like gas with a kick:D

09-20-2006, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by fatkid400
Some actually taste pretty good.My buddy made some peach shine once and it was really good(even for peach).We sampled it many times:devil: However you can get some that taste like gas with a kick:D

We just made it regular last weekend. We had this big glass tub and it condensated the shine and then it got cold real quick and turn back into liquid. It then dripped out of a long glass tube. It was by far the neatest invention I've ever seen. And it didn't taste half. But I noticed the next day that I had alot more hair on my chest. :D

Quad Boy 660r
09-20-2006, 06:57 PM
Yes, some moonshine, called "methal" moonshine is very bad. If you drink much more than a lil lil bit, you can go temperarily blind.

09-20-2006, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by MrMan
I thought you meant brewing something else. If that's the case, I'll keep myself from getting in trouble and just saying "yes".

Your a meth man.

00tn300ex
09-20-2006, 07:56 PM
we would always take a little bit on the lid of the jar and light it and look at the color of the flame.always heard bright blue flame is the way to go.

09-20-2006, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by mitch091
Your a meth man.

Nah, shine is the farthest I'd ever go. Even though my town and the surrounding towns are the 2nd largest producers of meth in the country. :(