PDA

View Full Version : It's Hunting Season ... WOOHOO!!!!

Quad18star
09-15-2006, 10:44 AM
That's right ... hunting season in my area officially opened today for small game . :D

I'll be heading up to my parents place to do some bird hunting ( partridge) later on today ... hopefully we get a few .

Until today , I never realized how expensive it was to go hunting ...

$15 for a small game license
$49 +tax for a hunting vest
$120+tax for a gunboot for my quad
$200+tax for a new .410 shotgun
$20+tax for shells for the gun
$45+tax for a neoprene hunter orange vest for my Dog
$126 for 2 quad helmets that are approved for hunting season

And that's just what I spent for this season alone ( not including stuff I had before) .

Oh well , it'll all be worth it I guess when there's a few birds being fried up on the stove .

Moose season opens up October 7th .... can't wait for that also !!!!:devil:

Anyone else going hunting this weekend ??

mole97
09-15-2006, 11:11 AM
I know I'm gonna get BLASTED for this but here goes! My whole family hunts except me. every year I ask why go sit in the freezing cold and 70% of the time come home emptyhanded:ermm: leave the house in the pitch dark,drive all the way into the woods,shoot the thing and drag it allllll the wayy back and than give it away? I can drive to work ANYDAY ,take a qiuck left about 5:30 in the morning and take out about 10 to 15 deer everymorning thus eliminating all the trouble you guys go through!just a thought.. but good luck,just wanted to bust some chops.I do it to my bro all the time

:blah:

Quad18star
09-15-2006, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by mole97
I know I'm gonna get BLASTED for this but here goes! My whole family hunts except me. every year I ask why go sit in the freezing cold and 70% of the time come home emptyhanded:ermm: leave the house in the pitch dark,drive all the way into the woods,shoot the thing and drag it allllll the wayy back and than give it away? I can drive to work ANYDAY ,take a qiuck left about 5:30 in the morning and take out about 10 to 15 deer everymorning thus eliminating all the trouble you guys go through!just a thought.. but good luck,just wanted to bust some chops.I do it to my bro all the time

:blah:

It's the fun of it . Getting outside and enjoying the weather . This weekend we're supposed to have temps in the Mid 80s , so it'll be t-shirt weather . When it get's colder , you just layer up .

When I go partridge hunting , I take the Grizzly , so I get to do two things I love at once ... go riding and go hunting . I've grown up around hunting , so it's soemthing I've always enjoyed doing .... plus it gives me time to spend with my dad .

A year has 4 seasons ... Winter, Spring , Summer and Hunting season !!!:devil:

mole97
09-15-2006, 11:20 AM
I was just in pennsylvania and the town I was in the school has off for the first day of hunting season?! Its considerd a holiday!:eek2:

LTZ400rider
09-15-2006, 11:27 AM
yeah in the hick towns every1 hunts so whats the point of school?

i use to hunt but i quit because i couldnt stand sitting in the woods freezin my *** off, i usually slept most of the time under a tree. this year im kinda gettin back into it, i like bird hunting cuz u walk around more.
i like target shooting the best though.

my local gun store has a used ithaca 12 gauge model 37 featherlight im gonna pick up for 250 bucks. i want a 410 for target shooting but i cant find a decent one.

post pics of ur shotguns!

suck my pipe
09-15-2006, 12:35 PM
i'm from Pa and yes I get to miss school on the first day of deer season !

nickmelll
09-15-2006, 03:40 PM
it the first day of bow season here:D ...
i live in md and we get the first day of rifle off.

700bRad
09-15-2006, 04:01 PM
I am an avid whitetail hunter. Frigid winters and coming home empty handed doesnt dampin my spirits. Its being out there watching the sun come up and being in gods country that I love. I have no worries in the world when im in the woods. I can truly say I have found complete serenity and satisfaction for life in the woods and out in the wild.

ak_stick
09-15-2006, 06:08 PM
Left yesterday at 4 p.m., shot this big bad boy at 9 p.m. and was on the road home by 4 a.m. 18 hrs from start of pickup to shut off of pickup in my yard, and 10 of those hours were driving.

Who needs to take a weekend off?

986 lbs at the butchers scale, 54 inch 4 brow tine rack.

Damn I'm good.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/ak_stick/Picture007.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/ak_stick/Picture002.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/ak_stick/Picture006-1.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/ak_stick/Picture014-1.jpg

Quad18star
09-25-2006, 12:43 PM
The leaves are falling more and more each day , so partridge hunting is getting a lot better now .

The girlfriend and I went out Saturday from 11:30am till 4PM and Sunday from Noon till 3pm and shot 5 birds in total . I could have had my bag limit of 5 birds each day , if it would have been for a bunch of my Remington shells being duds :mad: ... first thing this morning , I went to the local hunting supply store and bought a case of Winchester shells . :cool:

Hopefully the weather is nice for next weekend , so I can go out and get a few more . Soon enough I'll have enough in the freezer to have a nice meal ( for more than 2 people) .

Once again , I forgot to bring the digital camera , but took pictures with the old film camera . When I get them developed , I'll try hooking up the scanner to post a few .

Other than ak_stick , anyone else had any luck this season ?? BTW ... nice moose ... I didn't know night hunting was legal !!!:confused:

ak_stick
09-25-2006, 12:46 PM
9 p.m. isnt night in alaska in the summer. We're allowed to hunt till dark.

The reason its so dark in the photos, was because we hiked back to the truck, and grabbed all of our gear, and a 4wheeler and drove back to the moose, then had to find him in the dark, that took longer than actualy killin the moose did.

Quad Boy 660r
09-25-2006, 01:06 PM
Can you say...

"BOOM,HEAD SHOT!

Quad18star
09-25-2006, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by ak_stick
9 p.m. isnt night in alaska in the summer. We're allowed to hunt till dark.

The reason its so dark in the photos, was because we hiked back to the truck, and grabbed all of our gear, and a 4wheeler and drove back to the moose, then had to find him in the dark, that took longer than actualy killin the moose did.

Ah gotcha . Ya know , if you got any steaks left over , I'd be more than willing to take them off your hands . :D

Moose opens up in my area in another 2 weeks ( October 7th or 8th... I can't remember) .

CBRSLIDER
09-25-2006, 03:25 PM
Nice MOOSE!!!!

Been gearing up for the opening of archery here in PA. Just grabbed me a new Mathews Switchback XT. Absolutely awesome bow. Have shot it on two different occassions and both times have robin hooded arrows. The thing shoots like a dream. Been so into it I haven't been getting anything ready for small game. BUT while scouting for a big ol monster buck, I have seen a ton of grouse.

Good luck out there and be safe.

Ray

btw-quadstar not sure exactly where u are at but my dad is heading up to ontario on the 7th to go moose hunting. he's like a little kid in a candy store even at age 73.

FasstMidnightZ
09-25-2006, 03:56 PM
ak_stick: Did you cut it in half and put it in the tubs ?? Looks odd. :confused: :p

ak_stick
09-25-2006, 04:01 PM
we quartered him out right there in the field and loaded him into the ATV trailers to bring him out. Just the head is ontop of the trailers

FasstMidnightZ
09-25-2006, 04:02 PM
What did you cut it with ?

ak_stick
09-25-2006, 04:05 PM
a knife.

actualy several

redlineranger
09-25-2006, 04:49 PM
sweet moose ak stik..... i would love to hunt them some day.

about huntin season. here in south alabama where i live(escambia county), bow season starts october 14, i believe that 3 weekends from now...i cant wait. i talked to exboy earlier and told him he needs to bring his crossbow over. this past weekend i have seen close to 30 or 40 deer, more and more every day... hell last night at 11:45 7 does and fawns were in my front yard. i seen a buck friday night or saturday morning, cant remember which, but i turned the high beams on and he was runnin the other way... looks like a 6 or 7 point, but the were a good set of horns

november 18th is the beginning of rifle season here and it runs til january(sp?) 31st... sorry if i got a little carryed away, im just a avid deer hunter thats all.

Quad18star
09-25-2006, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by CBRSLIDER

Ray

btw-quadstar not sure exactly where u are at but my dad is heading up to ontario on the 7th to go moose hunting. he's like a little kid in a candy store even at age 73.

I'm in Northern Ontario ... a city called Sudbury , which is 4-5 hours north of Toronto .

Where abouts in Ontario is your dad going ?? I see a LOT of Americans up in this area for hunting season ... not as many for moose , but a LOT for bear season . Seems a lot of americans have a love for bear hunting .... myself , I couldn't be bothered with them , unless they're in my yard or going through my garbage cans . :ermm:

I didn't apply for a moose tag this year , so I'll be stuck buying my calf tag ( still enough meat for me) . A few buddies of mine got lucky and got a tag for a bull and a cow .... so as my buddy would say ..." anything that's brown , goes down" :p

09-25-2006, 10:13 PM
That'd make my life if I took down a moose or bear.

firefighterjosh
09-25-2006, 10:16 PM
I can not wait for shot gun season for deer. I love waking up at 5am go out to my deer stand and wait.......ussually I am excited for the first 2 hours then I fall a sleep lol. Last year all I came home with was a coyote:ermm:

09-25-2006, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
I can not wait for shot gun season for deer. I love waking up at 5am go out to my deer stand and wait.......ussually I am excited for the first 2 hours then I fall a sleep lol. Last year all I came home with was a coyote:ermm:

I sat out in the stand for about 5 hours, and didn't see a damn thing. Started to walk back in, and as soon as I got to the house (stand is on the other side of a field that's next to my house), I heard gunshots and 4 does and 1 buck ran infront of where my stand was. :mad:

firefighterjosh
09-25-2006, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by MrMan
I sat out in the stand for about 5 hours, and didn't see a damn thing. Started to walk back in, and as soon as I got to the house (stand is on the other side of a field that's next to my house), I heard gunshots and 4 does and 1 buck ran infront of where my stand was. :mad:

2 years ago I came back up to the house (1/2 mile walk) from the woods around 10am. Took a nap ate some chili. Walked out side around 1pm to work on the quad for some snow riding, I took the binoculars and I see 10 deer standing at the edge of the woods:grr:

CBRSLIDER
09-25-2006, 10:51 PM
"Last year all I came home with was a coyote"

Heck I've been dying for the chance at a coyote during buck season. Back in 96 I missed a coyote with 3!!!! shots, then wounded and lost a MONSTER 10pt to another hunter. He took up the blood trail while I was tracking it and got it before me. Oh well at least I saw some game.

Quad18star
I'm not sure where in the northern part of Ontario he is going but I'll find out tomorrow. I know that its a 12 hr drive from our place here in north central pa. I'll get back with you on where he's going.

Ray

firefighterjosh
09-25-2006, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by CBRSLIDER
"Last year all I came home with was a coyote"

Heck I've been dying for the chance at a coyote during buck season. Back in 96 I missed a coyote with 3!!!! shots, then wounded and lost a MONSTER 10pt to another hunter. He took up the blood trail while I was tracking it and got it before me. Oh well at least I saw some game.

Ray

We have them all over are area:mad:

Quad18star
10-08-2006, 05:10 PM
Well it's Thanksgiving long weekend up here , and that means the opening weekend for moose . I'm up at my parents place right now and have been doing some hunting , but haven't come across a moose yet .

In the last 2 days we've put on over 200 kilometers of riding on the Grizzly and shot 9 partridge ... and missed another 3 . Seen 4 moose hanging in the little village up here .... 1 HUGE bull , 2 smaller bulls and a cow .

Maybe tomorrow morning I'll get nice and early and go sit out near a swamp and hope that a calf comes walking across .

I'll post up pictures maybe tomorrow night when I'm back at hme and not on dial up.