PDA

View Full Version : Cam Break in Question

SaboTron
09-15-2006, 07:12 AM
I am putting in a new Hotcam Stage 2 in my 400ex and the instructions say to break it in by running about 3000 RPMs for 30 minutes. The mechanic who did my cylinder bore and also works extensively on ATV race engines http://www.allterrainperformance.com/ says I should break it in by idling for 15 minutes let it cool then run it 15 minutes again with some mild reving.

I haven't seen this second method in any other posts.

Any thoughts about which way to go?

Thanks

bwamos
09-15-2006, 07:20 AM
Just turn up the idle.

I would do it in 2 runs.

having the quad sit for 30min with the engine running can't be a good thing.

underpowered
09-15-2006, 07:21 AM
it is up to you on which you think is best. i broke in my cam like everything else. started the bike up. ran it tilll it was up to operating temp, without letting it idle but i did not rev it hard. once up to operating temp, ride it like you stole it reving all the way out, just riding it normal. but i would definitally suggest not letting it idle.

SaboTron
09-15-2006, 07:24 AM
I did post "by idling for 15 minutes let it cool then run it 15 minutes again". But I forgot to add the mechanic said to put fans on the engine to help keep it cool.

Sounds like you feel this would be sufficient.

bwamos
09-15-2006, 07:30 AM
Yea you'll be ok.

I usually run it through a couple heat cycles.. then just ride it like i normally would. Haven't had a problem with that method yet.

SaboTron
09-15-2006, 07:39 AM
Great. Thank you for the feedback.

This method helps a lot because it takes me an hour, plus load time, to get to the nearest riding spots. Now I can break it in at home and be ready to rip it up when I get there.

2muchquad
09-16-2006, 07:20 PM
I usually run it through a couple heat cycles.. then just ride it like i normally would. Haven't had a problem with that method yet

Thats how i do it too,never had a problem either,use some common sense though:D