PDA

View Full Version : opinions or info on jrd hybrids

800screws
09-14-2006, 04:55 PM
any experience with them? what engine did u have in it? good/bad? looking at one...and would like all info i can get on complete jrd quads.

stocktires
09-14-2006, 05:00 PM
I'm tearing one down right now. I dont have tons of experience with aftermarket chassis' though. The JRD seems nice, the handling is insane. I've had a small amount of cracking issues, but those are mainly because of the previous owners actions, the the quads was beat to hell already. A few welds on the frame are only welded on only one side, when they should be welded on both. If I was in the market, I would definatley buy another.

Nick shupe
09-14-2006, 08:25 PM
One of the nice things about JRD frames is that you can put like 3 or 4 diff. engines in just one frame all you need is diff. motor mounts and they say that you can take the valve cover off the top of the engine and not have to take the engine out of the frame which is nice. I have a lonestar frame with a CRF and if i want to adjust the valves i have to tilt the engine forward which kinda sucks but o well as far as the frame cracking is gonnin happen espelly if you race motorcross or ride hard.

800screws
09-15-2006, 10:16 AM
cool, i'm getting this one saturday. and i will probably get crap for it, but i'm going to put a big bore 250r engine in it. i love 2 strokes.

800screws
09-15-2006, 10:18 AM
can u email me some pics of where the frame is only welded on one side. i definately want to fix that.
bdzierzek@hvc.rr.com

stocktires
09-15-2006, 06:46 PM
a-arms, motor mounts, and subframe mounts are what comes to mind.
That's a sick quad, and the guy who built it (jrspawn, i think) seems to be a smart guy who knows alot about hybrids.
Everyone talks about the 4 speed YZF motor being awesome, but I'll stick with my CRF.
First, ride the quad before swapping motors, I doubt you'll want to after getting some seat time.

800screws
09-16-2006, 08:54 AM
yeah, i picked it up this morning. justin definately knows about hybrids. it looks great in real life.

also if i were to switch to a twist throttle, would i need to use just the stock yz426 throttle?

kris_400ex
09-16-2006, 01:53 PM
Does anyone know what is all used in the crf450 to 400ex conversion from the crf 450 just the motor? is it better for me to buy a whole crf 450 because alot of stuff is used from it? or just the motor to put into my 400ex can some one tell me what all ill have to buy to do this conversion and a ruff price on what it will cost to do this?

stocktires
09-16-2006, 02:53 PM
motor, carb, electronics, clutch/hot start, and maybe header from the crf.
Lots of fab and motor mounts for the conversion. Intake and exhaust really sux to fab up.

kris_400ex
09-16-2006, 03:21 PM
do i have to have custom cables made for the gas and clutch or does it use the 400ex or the crf450's? and what radiator does it use the crf 450's? or is it a custom made one that someone sells?

stocktires
09-16-2006, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by kris_400ex
do i have to have custom cables made for the gas and clutch or does it use the 400ex or the crf450's? and what radiator does it use the crf 450's? or is it a custom made one that someone sells?

250r style radiator, aftermarket is best. Clutch should be the crf cable and gas should be as well.

250x_kyle
09-16-2006, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by 800screws
cool, i'm getting this one saturday. and i will probably get crap for it, but i'm going to put a big bore 250r engine in it. i love 2 strokes.

did u buy that off of justin reed . he put his heart and sole in that hybrid good l uck with ur build

800screws
09-17-2006, 04:49 AM
yup. he is a freakin' nice guy. i actually go to blue diamond a couple times a year, now that i know he rides there, i will probably give him a shout and hook up with him and learn a thing or two!

kyle i added your hybrid forum to my favorites and other good sites for info.

250x_kyle
09-17-2006, 10:32 AM
thanx man. havent been on my site in a while( this winter me and a guy might be purchasing a message board dedicated to hybrids). school work and fab class keeping me busy and then all the rest of my time i ride. cant wait to see ur bike done with the 250r motor in it. justin seems like a nice guy i havent met himin person but hes always willing to help a guy out and he knows alot about quads. im planning on puting a yzf450 in my 400ex but ill have to see.

800screws
09-17-2006, 04:06 PM
i have some carb questions if anyone can help. the first is, that it was hard to start...(i just put in a new plug, but haven't tried it out to see if that was it, the old plug was pretty crusty). second i can't get it to idle at a descent speed without it quitting. also when i stab the throttle, it bogs(seems like from a lean condition). lastly, wide open it breaks up and then has terrible backfiring. how many turns should the fuel screw be out? also it has a 195jd main. do u think a bigget main will help out?

on another note, there is a long rod that goes from the throttle cable area on the carb right down into the bowl...fuel seems to be coming out the top from the top of the rod...any ideas? i'm new to four stroke carbs so any help is good help!

stocktires
09-17-2006, 05:09 PM
I'm not knowldgeable about yzf's, but if its hard to start it's either jetting or the valves are gone.
These dirtbike motors aren't meant to stab, it WILL bog in stock form if you stab the throttle. Wide open backfiring means you should change the main jet. What color was the old plug?

800screws
09-17-2006, 05:25 PM
the old plug looked on the lighter side of brown, i think it was lean

protraxrptr17
09-17-2006, 08:24 PM
Do a google search for "BK mod". It is a modification to the carb to allow for a shorter accelerator pump squirt time. I did it to the FCR41 on my bike and completely eliminated the bog. You have to drill and tap the carb for a screw. It's pretty easy and inexpensive. You can also go to the Honda shop and order a accelerator pump diaphram for a CRF450. It does about the same thing but it's not adjustable, which is good if you don't like fiddling with your carb.

I think your bike may need the valves adjusted too. Does it get worse after it's hot?

800screws
09-18-2006, 04:09 AM
no actually it starts after it's warm.

protraxrptr17
09-18-2006, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by 800screws
no actually it starts after it's warm.

Well ,if it runs better after it's warm, that's a sign that it's lean. Blow out all jets and passages with compressed air and up the main a couple sizes. Make sure it has fresh fuel in it too. I know that sounds stupid, but gas doesn't keep very long these days.