PDA

View Full Version : clutch problems need help

redracing88
09-14-2006, 04:46 PM
ok my 400EX goes 1,2,3 fine as soon as it hits 4,5 it feels like the pull is not there and it kinda revs wierd like it acts like the quads an automatic. we checked the clutch plates and to spec they are the correct thickness.

what could be wrong and whats the fix?

redracing88
09-14-2006, 04:50 PM
if i put it in gear and rev the engine high hold the brake and let out the clutch it kills the engine so it doesnt slip on full engine power but why does it slip like hitting 4th and 5th it feels?

my buddies banshee did the same thing except 5,6 he replaced clutch but my clutch is to speck

also happend with my buddies cr500
:confused: :confused: :confused:

redracing88
09-14-2006, 04:58 PM
comon anyone??
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'?????

bubba's400ex
09-14-2006, 06:06 PM
dude you have got to give people some time. not every body knows the answer.But mine does the same thing so i would like to know the answer to.
thanks

Chango
09-14-2006, 07:21 PM
Make sure you don't have any groves on the clutch basket fingers..

redracing88
09-14-2006, 07:53 PM
clutch basket fingures you mean where the springs are held or where to top of the fibers go?

redracing88
09-15-2006, 07:25 PM
ok the guy i bought it off of told me he never touched the engine. when i picked it up he had to put the oil tank and lines on it as i was taking it off the 2 lines going into the engine only the bottom one had a dow in it. the top one did not. wich means that oil was not getting pushed up and into the oil cooler and oil pan or tank.thus cuasing the engine to run hotter buring my clutch plates and so forth. it still filtered but not right. my clutch plates not the fibers are beat black with a blue streak going thru where the nubs are on the inside of the disk. im going to replace the clutch and put all new gaskets in that side replace clutch cable cause it is stiff and so so forth.

does this make sense? :macho

xxnightraven73x
09-15-2006, 08:32 PM
sounds about right just make sure you get a clutch kit that comes with new plates and new friction disks new cable and gaskets and some fresh oil itll be happy mine was fine after i did it

Chango
09-15-2006, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by redracing88
clutch basket fingures you mean where the springs are held or where to top of the fibers go? Where the top of the fibers go..Should not be any groves...Should be smooth

redracing88
09-16-2006, 11:53 AM
chango

twards the engine like liek maybe 1/4th and inch in there it is ruff like it looks like it was rubbing on something. and when i say 1/4 an inch i mean that from the closet to the eninge to the end of 1/4th its all like scratched and grooved.

Chango
09-16-2006, 01:18 PM
Sounds like your basket is bad ..You can put in the new clutch but it will just burn up again ..I just replaced mine new basket and clutch w/all the extras fluids gaskets ect ..Around $400..I bought the Moose clutch basket and a DP clutch kit

redracing88
09-16-2006, 03:52 PM
how would my basket be bad if its just a few scratches? im not trying to be smart i just really want to know :confused:

Chango
09-16-2006, 06:38 PM
Well the clutch opens and closes the plates get hung up on the ridges in the basket and start to slip and the heat builds up and well clutch plus heat no good plates starts to warp..A good basket has smooth surface on both sides and lets the plates move freely..Now if the pressure plates have a little scuffs thats another subject..I didn't even look at my basket last time and my clutch only had about 300 miles and went south because the pressure plates looked good and the basket was screwed up...That is just my experience..

redracing88
09-16-2006, 07:46 PM
ohh ok well the scruffs not even near the fibers its by the like gear so i think im fine