PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha PHAZER?!

mole97
09-14-2006, 03:31 PM
I thought i would never want a snowmobile, but yesterday I was at my dealers and came across a poster for the yamaha phazer.So when i got home I checked it out online and now i have peaked my interest! I guess I'd like to know anyone who has one (snowmobile) what they think? are they worth it cause lookin at that phazer it's like a quad on sleds! looks like a blast and now I cant stop thinkin about how much fun they could be. My only thing is how often you get to use them(ya need snow) but seems like there's a lot more trails?:ermm: anyone info? thoughts? Thanx:)

yellowzo3
09-14-2006, 03:35 PM
yeah there was a sled thread a few weeks ago and i asked the same thing. there seems to be alot of designated trails for sleds. they seem awesome but one of the members (sorry i forget who) said theyre not out yet. the phazer also caught my eye and now im interested as well :p ...hopefully someone can help us out.

mole97
09-14-2006, 03:40 PM
My dealer had just gotten one phazer so i went to see it and wouldnt you know its gone ! sold already. Great another expensive hobby!:D :D Oh well:eek2:

ShiftFMX
09-14-2006, 04:26 PM
One of the Yamaha shows was at my work and I saw a few different phazers. they're pretty unique lookin!

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/products/sno/500/07OMT_red_3.jpg

FasstMidnightZ
09-14-2006, 04:51 PM
:cool: If only I lived in a place with alot of snow.. :(

honda92
09-14-2006, 05:04 PM
the 500cc phazers are supposed to be really slow from what i have heard. its about the equivilant of a 340cc 2 stroke, in other words a gutless wonder. if it's your first sled don't buy new. there are so many nice sleds for under $2000. no matter how they look, a sled is still a sled and it will handle much different than a wheeler.

400exstud
09-14-2006, 06:27 PM
I hope that the future of sleds follows the Phazer......................... or the Hayabusa. The Phazer only has about 80hp which is low for a sled but it gets up the speed FAST. I am not saying that is is the fastest thing on snow but if I were getting a starter sled I would be pushing for one.

I wish that they would make a phazer 900 (450 X 2). That would be my next sled.

TOPDAWG
09-14-2006, 07:58 PM
There is already videos out...check youtube.

And if it ain't got enough power for ya, then go HERE (http://www.princegeorgeyamaha.com/turbokit_snowmobile_yamaha_phazer.htm). That outta do it :macho

Also, it's all about the Blue :blah:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/products/sno/500/07_Phazer_blue_OMTEntryHood.jpg

juanki
09-14-2006, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by FEAR528
:cool: If only I lived in a place with alot of snow.. :(

same...
that thing its good looking.

Quad18star
09-14-2006, 10:13 PM
It'll be interesting to see how well it performs in it's first year .

It's styling is something that'll take a while to grow on me , since it's so different from the common sled .

I'll be keeping an eye out for them blasting around to see what their power to weight ratio is like . From the looks of the sled , it'll be a great 500cc class contender in Snowcross and would be a fun machine for ditchbanging !!!!

mole97
09-15-2006, 02:50 AM
From what I was told it wasn't made for trail riding as other sleds are,but this is supposed to be geared more towards "freestyle" and I guess snocross. I gotta admit it's really funnky lookin' and I cant wait to see the aftermarket parts that are made.Even if i do get a snowmobile,I still dont know what kind,but this one def, caught my eye.

Quad18star
09-15-2006, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by mole97
From what I was told it wasn't made for trail riding as other sleds are,but this is supposed to be geared more towards "freestyle" and I guess snocross. I gotta admit it's really funnky lookin' and I cant wait to see the aftermarket parts that are made.Even if i do get a snowmobile,I still dont know what kind,but this one def, caught my eye.

One of the variations of the Phazer comes with a windshield for those that want to trail ride , it should handle the trails well .

If you're in the market for a sled , you can't go wrong with a Ski-Doo product !!!!

MR.BIG
09-15-2006, 07:43 AM
I have a 2004 rx-1 warrior which has the 1000cc R1 streetbike motor in it. It is a rocketship nothing compares to going to NY state and ripping down the groomed trails at 100mph. It sucks you can only use them for a couple months but lots of fun and money.

ilpadrino113
09-15-2006, 08:09 AM
Picking up a sled the first year of production is always risky. I'd be patient and wait for them to work out all he bugs.

09-15-2006, 08:30 AM
80 HP is low for a sled...i wouldnt buy the new phazers, i had a old phazer that would walk all over the new ones...i used to love riding wheelies on my old one! but if you are looking to get a sled, dont get the phazer, get a used F7, MXZ 800, SRX 700...something along those lines, all those sled make more then 115 hp and they are ALOT more fun to ride then some 80 hp 4 stroke

mole97
09-15-2006, 08:32 AM
I know a guy with that rx and all he tells me is how awesome it is. I know a few people with sleds and have offerd me to take rides up to canada or upstate n.y. so I'm def . gonna take some offers this year and see what its all about.thanx for the opinions guys...........

MR.BIG
09-15-2006, 10:09 AM
Well the RX-1 is 140hp and they are very fast my only complaint is they suck in soft powder because they are top heavy but on a groomed trail it will run with all the 800 2strokes. I have the rx-1 warrior which has the longer track then the regular rx-1 which slows down its topspeed but its a better ride. I think mine will top out around 105 or 110 where the rx-1 do about 115!

09-15-2006, 10:24 AM
yep my F7 has 140 hp and the new F8 is making 145...i love all the power and riding in trails up north (michigan)...i like riding sleds way more then quads or dirt bikes

Quad18star
09-15-2006, 10:28 AM
Well I just got back from my local Yamaha dealership and they finally have the sled on the showroom floor . I started talking with one of the guys I know there that is a saleman about the sled and he told me he had the chance to ride it late last winter when Yamaha invited their dealers to come test ride all the new production sleds .

Here's what he told me about the new Phazer ... " Greg this thing handles just like your YFZ450 did ..... it's like riding a sport quad , but it has a track under it " .

When you look at the specs , it has 16 inches of rear travel and a center mounted rear existing exhaust . The exhaust looks like a damn car exhaust . It has a partially opened tunnel under the seat so that the snow can keep the exhaust cool . Double wishbone front suspension with tons of travel .

When you sit on it , it's like sitting on a sport quad .... nice narrow and hard seat . The machine isn't very long when you see it in person ( it looks a bit longer than a YFZ450) .

It has a 14inch track , so I'm guessing the turning will be incredible . The bar positioning is nice from the factory , but wouldn't be ideal for long rides .

I was offered to go test ride it as soon as the snow starts to fall , so I'll be able to get a better understanding of the machine .

It may only be 80HP , but it's set into a super light package . I was able to lift the rear of the sled with 1 hand and very little effort . This sled will be sweet once it hits the snow !!!!

mole97
09-15-2006, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Well I just got back from my local Yamaha dealership and they finally have the sled on the showroom floor . I started talking with one of the guys I know there that is a saleman about the sled and he told me he had the chance to ride it late last winter when Yamaha invited their dealers to come test ride all the new production sleds .

Here's what he told me about the new Phazer ... " Greg this thing handles just like your YFZ450 did ..... it's like riding a sport quad , but it has a track under it " .

When you look at the specs , it has 16 inches of rear travel and a center mounted rear existing exhaust . The exhaust looks like a damn car exhaust . It has a partially opened tunnel under the seat so that the snow can keep the exhaust cool . Double wishbone front suspension with tons of travel .

When you sit on it , it's like sitting on a sport quad .... nice narrow and hard seat . The machine isn't very long when you see it in person ( it looks a bit longer than a YFZ450) .

It has a 14inch track , so I'm guessing the turning will be incredible . The bar positioning is nice from the factory , but wouldn't be ideal for long rides .

I was offered to go test ride it as soon as the snow starts to fall , so I'll be able to get a better understanding of the machine .

It may only be 80HP , but it's set into a super light package . I was able to lift the rear of the sled with 1 hand and very little effort . This sled will be sweet once it hits the snow !!!! see. thats what i'm talking about and what caught my interest.! It looks so light and it is basically a quad on a snowmobile frame. gotta see it for myself:macho I'm not looking to do miles of trail rides. Just your typical snowstorm run out and zip around funfest:p

ny300exrider
09-15-2006, 12:26 PM
if i lived a couple hours north from where i am now, i would have a rev or firecat sitting in my garage waiting for snow right now. i was planning on selling my 450r for a sled this year but after some thought i just think i would regret it way too much in the warm weather months. the phazer seems pretty cool being that it is like a sport quad on snow, however if i had a choice i would still get a bigger sled like a rev or firecat.

DieselBoy
09-15-2006, 01:42 PM
Damn that sled is nice! It's just like a friggin quad! Amazing. I'm not even into snomobiles and it caught my eye!

DieselBoy
09-15-2006, 01:43 PM
i just looked at the pics again......its so close to a quad it's not even funny!

450r51
09-15-2006, 02:00 PM
idk if any of you guys watched the last wpsa snowcross race last year, i think it was held at yellowstone national park. but yamaha had entered there new phazer into the race, had a full factory rig and two factory racers. and guess what happened.....they couldnt even qualify for the main.

now i was talking to a very good friend of mine Brett Bender who is a factory Polaris,Team Industries, Fox, etc, well he races snowcross. his dad Tim Bender, who if you know anything about snowmobilies knows that this guy is a legend and multi time champion, neways he makes turbos for other yamaha 4 stroke engines and some other parts. coming right out of his mouth he says that this sled will never be able to compete in a snowcross race. arctic cat, brp, polaris all have there stock class sleds pushing well over 100hp and thats stock class!

who knows it might be good on the trails, but as for racing its turd!

bansheerider4
09-15-2006, 03:00 PM
i just looked at the pics again......its so close to a quad it's not even funny!

dont know if there doin it forsure but thats because there gonna be using the engine out of those to make the new banshee and blaster:D

MXracer16
09-15-2006, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by 450r51
idk if any of you guys watched the last wpsa snowcross race last year, i think it was held at yellowstone national park. but yamaha had entered there new phazer into the race, had a full factory rig and two factory racers. and guess what happened.....they couldnt even qualify for the main.

Ummm, no. They didn't race the Phazer at all. It was one of there other 4-storke sleds, the RX-1. It was just a prototype anyway.

troutman561
09-15-2006, 08:23 PM
Why dont people use these engines in quad hybrids.. im sure its been done but ive never seen it... but then again now that i think of it they prob arnt chain drive? i know nothing of sleds...

coolex
09-15-2006, 08:45 PM
no there belt drive with a primary and secondary ddrive (clutch) , but there outo matic cvt (i think) trans and yes ppl do u them in atvs, go karts most en thing

400exstud
09-15-2006, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by MXracer16
Ummm, no. They didn't race the Phazer at all. It was one of there other 4-storke sleds, the RX-1. It was just a prototype anyway.

You are right saying that it was a different sled, however it was a vector (which is their 600 class equivalent). It did sound cool but it didn't have quite the zip. It got last in Eagle River when I was there.