PDA

View Full Version : Permatex High Temp

RezoD
09-14-2006, 07:38 AM
I need a new gasket for my cylinder to block... But I don't want to buy the 40$ kit to just use one gasket. Can I use something like the Permatex High Temp silicone, made for engines that see up to 500* of heat? or will it seal just as well as my non-sealing gasket I have now? :p

P.S.
If there's any way to put a rush on this post, please do! I'd like to reassemble my motor today, and be riding by the weekend!!!

Travis

bradley300
09-14-2006, 07:55 AM
i have jeard of people w/ 400ex's not using a base gasket to lower the squich volume and raise compression, so i would assume it must be possible. i'm sure they used silicone in its place to seal the surfaces

underpowered
09-14-2006, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
i have jeard of people w/ 400ex's not using a base gasket to lower the squich volume and raise compression, so i would assume it must be possible. i'm sure they used silicone in its place to seal the surfaces

yupp. been there, done that. worked fine for me, it iwll just bump up your comp a little.

pit/wood
10-21-2006, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by underpowered
yupp. been there, done that. worked fine for me, it iwll just bump up your comp a little.

And it will change your cam to crank timing,but you can dial it in with an adjustable timing gear.

4everhonda
10-21-2006, 08:41 AM
Where can you get an adjustable timing gear?

RezoD
10-21-2006, 08:58 AM
Using no gasket (Just the Permatex) worked perfectly, for those who may have had doubts. I have no more leaks, and the quad runs perfect.

My timing may have been advanced another degree or two, but I honestly don't notice a difference between having the gasket and not. The extra compression didn't make any difference to it performance wise (not that I can tell anyways), and neither did the timing.

Travis

flauge
10-23-2006, 12:24 AM
Just wondering, how much did you use? A real thin coat?

johnsls
10-23-2006, 06:41 AM
When my engine was being taken apart (partially) we noticed a lot of sealant that gummed up everthing. Probally just read the instructions but I think a thin bead should work.

Why not just use the oem gasket so your not changing the compression etc....??????

RezoD
10-24-2006, 03:02 AM
I personally did exactly as the directions said. I believe the bead was supposed to be around 3/8" wide by about 1/4" tall... Around all the bolt holes and ports. Any ports that I saw, we used pipe cleaners to take up the space so no sealer could get in there. Tightened everything down, then removed the pipe cleaners.

I didn't use an OEM gasket because of the price... A top end kit was 50 bucks, as opposed to a 5$ tube of Permatex.