PDA

View Full Version : 300ex

womerk28
09-13-2006, 10:28 PM
i just got this at the beginning of summer and know a good amout them but not to sure.

i wanted to make sure everything is right and clean on the bike over the next couple months and make sure its running right.

what are some thing i could do.

bwamos
09-14-2006, 06:46 AM
Make sure all bolts are tightened properly.
Clean all electrical connections. Use dielectric grease on them to keep water out. (majority of 300ex problems are from corroded conenctions).
Put in a fresh plug (use factory spec).
Make sure all tires seal proplerly and put 5psi +/- in each.
Lube brake and clutch cables. Yyou can buy a cheap device that helps force the lube down the line. You can buy them from an ATV/MX supplier or from a local bicycle shop. ;) They tend to have better cable lube at the bicycle shops.
Make sure you dont have too much, or too little cable slop on the clutch/throttle levers.
Change the oil and oil filter (CAREFUL have to put it in the right way. One side of the filter will say "this side out"..)
Clean the air filter. If foam style use a foam filter oil. If k&n style use a gauze filter oil (tackier).

Check to make sure you have proper toe-in. I like to run about 1/2" in at the front. (-1/4 at fromt, +1/4 at rear of front tires). Both measurements at the tie rod ball joits should be identical. One should not be longer than the other.

That should cover the basics.