PDA

View Full Version : Wrecked; while loading

knighttime2
08-30-2002, 10:09 PM
Damn, be real careful usin those ramps u make out of those aluminum pieces and wood. I kinda screwed up cause my driveway was real slick cause of soap from washin my truck ...

this is what happened

I was halfway up the ramp and my back tires were spinnin like crazy, ... so I went back down the ramps ... rev rev go ... half way up again and tires are spinnin again, ... I say f it and give it some more gas, I knew this was gonna happen, the tires caught and kicked the ramps out. Now the back tires just DROP. Luckily I pushed off the pegs and kinda kicked out and the quad was left standin against my tailgate.

Time to get some good ramps.

airheadedduner
08-31-2002, 01:30 AM
That sucks, reminds me of a stupid story though. I was at my friends track and we were all leavin. One of my buddies was tryin to ride into the back of his truck but couldn't make it. Of course I flicked him some crap about being a wuss. I make a run at my truck and up my ramps, hit my wheel wells, and smash:eek: there goes my backwindow. Made me look stupid:rolleyes: (not the first time)

2K1 300EX
08-31-2002, 03:26 AM
Next time put your ramps in grass instead of on concrete....I had this happen w/ my timberwolf when I trieds this on gravel, luckily it just stood str8 up and didn't flip over. I just put it in reverse and tried again.

08-31-2002, 03:54 AM
aaaaahhhhh!!,
how about
gettin a lil
speed ,, then pull in clutch ,...
ROLL up ..instead of powering up the ramp.

MUCHO SAFER

cotttonwoody
08-31-2002, 07:14 AM
A guy that my dad knows was backing out of his truck with his 4x4 quad and he forgot to put up the ramps. I wish i would of saw it.

mysticfalcon
08-31-2002, 03:43 PM
I always just push mine up the ramps. My mom loaded her sled and put the skis through the window and mangled the cab so for the effort it takes i think its safer.

Sportrax10
08-31-2002, 04:18 PM
i remember one day day that me and my dad were riding, it was time to load up in the dark and i was mad at him so a FLEW up the ramps and slammed into the side of the trailer on my old blaster, i didnt do it on purpose but i was funny

Rip_Tear
08-31-2002, 05:05 PM
Okay, here is what you do!

Get some old snowmobile trax and put them on your ramps.... if you cant figure it out, well I think you better get checked in...

And heres an idea for easy loads and unloads, what you do is make a dirt ramp your truck or trailor can back up too... its a lot easier and it doesn't move, we have them every where we ride!

dabombdale
08-31-2002, 05:12 PM
my uncle was loading his sleds onto his trailer and stuck the throttle right open and somehow landed on top of the truck roof, we all had a good laugh and watched him get it off, i think he hit the front of the trailor sending him in the air and on top of the truck roof.

chris4w1
08-31-2002, 07:35 PM
or you could just pick it up and put it in i can do it by my self

Nausty
09-01-2002, 06:49 PM
yah but that takes work...

SGA
09-01-2002, 11:42 PM
I read awhile back several people have been killed loading a big utility quad. It happened to someone in the next town to me also. The ramps are kicked off by the back tires and the quad falls over backwards on them. I bought bi-fold aluminum ramps that has chains with S hooks which loop around the tailgate hangers. I sure it wouldn't be to hard to attach some safety chains to homemade ramps.

lil400exman
09-02-2002, 08:32 AM
i just use a tilt trailer it works like a charm;)

knighttime2
09-02-2002, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by sgaexer
I bought bi-fold aluminum ramps that has chains with S hooks which loop around the tailgate hangers. I sure it wouldn't be to hard to attach some safety chains to homemade ramps.

I'm gonna buy those kind of aluminum ramps. My head still kinda hurts. :( ... why? ~ cause i wasn't wearin a helmet. :( I think I'm gonna buy one of those real small biker helmets to use for loading and just puttin' around.

As far as the homemade ramps go, I'm not sure they are the best idea.

09-02-2002, 11:28 AM
Well, i have a 2-4 drop on my truck and my 400ex is really light so i just lift it in there.

400exRacerX
09-02-2002, 12:44 PM
Put pegs on the bottom of the aluminum peices and drill 2 hole in the tailgate.:rolleyes:

knighttime
09-03-2002, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by 400exRacerX
Put pegs on the bottom of the aluminum peices and drill 2 hole in the tailgate.:rolleyes:

NO, lol. I'm not drillin' into my tailgate. But I am gonna get some cool aluminum ramps.:cool:

09-03-2002, 08:32 AM
Still can't find the throttle on that thing huh?????:confused: :D

lil400exman
09-03-2002, 08:52 AM
what oyu do is that thick mesh and nail it all the way up on it there to get traction!:huh no brainer then take fiishing or staples and staple it all the way up and viola no slip ramps!!!!!!!!!!:confused: was it that hard i want a cookie for that one mom:rolleyes: lol

knighttime
09-03-2002, 09:27 AM
but the ramp can still be kicked out the instant the front tires get past the ramp and touch the tailgate. :eek:

09-03-2002, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by lil400exman
what oyu do is that thick mesh and nail it all the way up on it there to get traction!:huh no brainer then take fiishing or staples and staple it all the way up and viola no slip ramps!!!!!!!!!!:confused: was it that hard i want a cookie for that one mom:rolleyes: lol

But you forgot to call him a stupid, dumb SOB....which you kinda did but in a nice way..:blah

If you knew knighttimes setup,,,traction is not an issue with a marcums 420SS setup and some brand new realtors on the back....If your mom has anymore cookies send me one..:eek:

Tommy 17
09-03-2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Still can't find the throttle on that thing huh?????:confused: :D

i don't think he will ever find the gas except when hes jumpin his garden and lands on erics g.fs house:o

knighttime
09-03-2002, 11:51 AM
someone show me some pics of good ramps (aluminum) and where to get them and how much they cost.

:huh

09-03-2002, 12:11 PM
Look on the wall to the left in the pic,,that's the ramps I use Mike,,they cost about $120 and they have the wires with S clips on them to attach to anything on your truck so your tires won't spit the ramps out like before..most dealerships of any kind will have these laying around.. they fold in half to help save on space,,but if ya got a wide front end it can get tricky. When i run my MX tires on my 416,,I think maybe 2 knobbies grab the ramp on each side,,like threadin a needle when it's wet and muddy..:eek:

knighttime
09-03-2002, 12:40 PM
Whats that in the lower left hand corner of that pic. Are u gonna put a blower on that stock 400?:confused: :eek: :huh

09-03-2002, 12:44 PM
Got damnit I forgot to black that out...you guys is quick,,,I have to do a little modifying and the blower will get thrown on...it'll up my HP 70% once it's bolted up and fine tuned..:huh

Rip_Tear
09-03-2002, 07:23 PM
The blower idea is wicked! I will take my dads 5horse electic motor and hook it up to my blower off the wood stove to get my extra HP! What kinda cookies are you giving out??

Rico I would suggest getting those ramps widened! My dad has set our trailer ramps up so the BOB CAT tires are only on 2" on each side tooo! well it wasn't too nice when he tipped the thing over sideways, had to use the Back Hoe to right side the thing! The ramps are fixed now!

09-03-2002, 08:09 PM
get the ramps wit the s hooks and hook them to ur tailgate. It makes it alot safer.

Joey :devil

Braff1
09-04-2002, 07:17 AM
I have some of those ramps made from wood with the aluminum ends on them. I usually just keep them in the back of my truck. One early spring morning I was hurring to get loaded up to go riding and as I was going up the ramps my tires spun on the light frost of the tires dropping the rear off the ramps standing the quad up on the back tires and grab bar. Btw I bailed off the back.

lil400exman
09-04-2002, 11:12 AM
well what i did was since my dads is a surveyor and has extra railroad spikes u bolted them to the bottom of the ramp 2 on each side drie those into the ground and viola i never ever had them come out on me and if you load up on asphalt ur crazy!now gimmie my cookies bak!!!!!!!!!:devil

beerock
09-04-2002, 11:17 AM
yall should stop being pussies and just lift it into the truck
youll notice your arms will get stronger if you constantly do it.

SGA
09-04-2002, 11:27 AM
Heres the tri-fold ramps. I use them when I load by myself. We usally just load/unload my 400 by hand though.
The ramps are made by fulton and have a 1500 pound capacity. They are 44 inches wide. My front tires center to center are 36 inches wide, so I have plenty of room.

09-04-2002, 11:41 AM
I'm pretty sure knighttime has his little sister load it for him most of the time,,but he went out on a limb this time and tryed it by himself......well ya see where that got him....:eek:

SGA
09-04-2002, 11:41 AM
Heres the chain locks which I ALWAYS use

BadA$$440
09-04-2002, 07:43 PM
That chain is a good idea, my ramps have slipped out from under me plenty of times.

09-04-2002, 08:07 PM
This thread is somethin ELSE!..

SGA
09-04-2002, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by "2-R's Rider"
This thread is somethin ELSE!..
Yeah, i'll say. My quad number is 86. Just noticed the truck tag number showing in the pic i put in above.
Am I the man or what?!!!:D

airheadedduner
09-05-2002, 10:53 AM
Heres the tri-fold ramps. I use them when I load by myself. We usally just load/unload my 400 by hand though.
The ramps are made by fulton and have a 1500 pound capacity. They are 44 inches wide. My front tires center to center are 36 inches wide, so I have plenty of room.
There is no way my R would fit on that:blah

SGA
09-05-2002, 08:02 PM
How wide are your front tires, Center to center ?

Knight440
09-15-2002, 05:48 PM
Forget the ramps what about the brakes!!!!This was way too funny,,,

airheadedduner
09-16-2002, 01:06 AM
How wide are your front tires, Center to center ?

I'm not sure but I am 49 in wide edge to edge. IT barly fits in my s10

yellow machine
09-16-2002, 05:52 PM
I spent maybe thirty dollars on my home made ramps. I went to the local auto parts store bought two rachet tie downs, and then to the hardware store and bought two eight foot sections of 2x12, and two large eye bolts. I cut the 2x12's to fit inside the bed of the truck with the gate closed and a couple inches to spare, next I took the torch to the eye bolts and bent them at 45 degrees, drilled pilot holes in the end of each board, screwed in the eye bolts, attached the tie downs to the truck on the hooks in the bed, and adjusted them to be just long enough to put the ramps at the right spot, and saved my self 100.00.

beerock
09-16-2002, 06:05 PM
just lift it :rolleyes: thats the safest way from damaging your quad, maybe not your back though. I love doing it, I get strange looks.

my truck has a lift so its not a small lift... I pretty much bench press my quad to get it in the truck.

MeatHead
09-17-2002, 09:09 PM
And this is the reason why I have started wearing a helmet everytime I load my quad. It gets me strange looks, putting on my helmet just to load my quad, but it is my head not theirs. I haven't tried lifting it into the back of my truck yet, but I'm sure I could do it. We usually back the truck up to the end of the driveway and that makes the ramps at a very low angle, so less chance of the ramps kicking out on us. Might as well be safe when you can.

09-17-2002, 09:26 PM
my truck has a lift so its not a small lift... I pretty much bench press my quad to get it in the truck. I used to think this also till I tried to do it to a lower truck, and thats when the problems started.

I had always either just lifted the front end and let it rest on the grab bar then walk it to the tailgate and just sort of lift and jerk her onto the truck (that sounded kinda funny huh) or used the tilt trailer. Now with the lower height of the box truck its almost imposible cause its just too low and you cant get under it. So I went out and made some ramps from 2x12x8 and set up some lag bolts to pop into the existing holes in the bumper.

Damn those ramps are a pisser when the tires are wet. We tried several times to get a craptor up those ramps, then another guys ramps with the chicken wire nailed to it (just tore that stuff off) then after almost killin myself with my new dancing partner on my chest (well it didnt really land on me, I kinda got out of the way but was close)

So I will be trying the non skid tape like used on boats next, either that or just always have 3-4 people around.

L.Vegas400
09-22-2002, 12:27 AM
when i was home last, my buddy(banshee) and i were ridin around. time to go home and he tried to gas it to pop the front up into the bed. the rear tires of the pickup were in a ditch, so the tailgate was proll 8 to 10 inches from the ground, well he taged the tailgat denting in about 2 inches. and to add he is real particular about his pickup. so me haveing a 4 stroke, showed him how it was done. after that he swore his next bike would be a 4 stroke

on the ramp thing-- hook a tiedown to your bumper and about halfway up your ramp.

400exRacerX
09-22-2002, 02:04 PM
Yeah, I saved myself 100$ and just lift it into the bed. My quad wouldn't even fit on those ramps anyways. I'm 50" in the front and rear

spincr4hire
09-26-2002, 07:11 AM
buy a trailer...:D
No really, I had the tri-folds, bought them at Lowe's, with the safety hooks. They were pretty good, but the aluminum started shearing, I took them back and ended up putting the money towards an 8x4 tilt trailer, since I got a camper top on my truck now.

phatswinn
10-02-2002, 03:08 PM
i always put my quad up with those wood ramps backwards then just jump it off when i wanna take it out

knighttime
10-03-2002, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by phatswinn
i always put my quad up with those wood ramps backwards then just jump it off when i wanna take it out

If u keep using that technique, u will eventually be posting a thread, "Wrecked; while UNLOADING" :eek: Your unloading technique is kewl, but I have a feelin' that u r gonna get in a nasty wreck unloading that way.

JTRtrx250r
10-06-2002, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by 400exRacerX
Put pegs on the bottom of the aluminum peices and drill 2 hole in the tailgate.:rolleyes: EXACTLY!!!,simple and easy,I was wondering if anyone else did that:D

after a race on a very rainy night,my ramps went flying.........I was in my FL350 in a truck w/ a 4inch lift and 35's.......that was worth drilling the holes in my tailgate for the bolts I used as pegs,it has never happened since:D

Sparks425Ex
10-06-2002, 07:29 AM
Personally i have some ramps tha i hook to the wires that hold your tail gate up just in case somehting does wanna slide.

Slipknot
10-17-2002, 07:57 PM
After stopping his Raptor from running over his wife (she attempted to unload it herself), and a long day of riding, a friend of mine is ready to load the Craptor up. They have a flat trailer hooked up to the truck, and ramps going from that to the bed of the truck. This guy is big too. By big I mean 375lbs big...

OK, so he goes to load up(he has wood ramps with the aluminum ends), and just as he's about to get the quad in, the ramp snaps, and he falls flats on his face. He gets up and with a large amount of cursing, loads it up and leaves. The moral is to always make room for your quads on a trailer, if you have one. :huh

phatswinn
10-21-2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by knighttime

If u keep using that technique, u will eventually be posting a thread, "Wrecked; while UNLOADING" :eek: Your unloading technique is kewl, but I have a feelin' that u r gonna get in a nasty wreck unloading that way.

well in that case ill take a jump off the quad, but its really really easy just hafta stay on the gas and ur fine....as long as its warmed up

bonds0033
10-22-2002, 05:37 PM
yeah ur right but you also have to make sure it isn't wet. my neighbor has a 99 400ex and we just got home after a day of riding in the rain and i told him instead of unloading it just start it up and drive it off the truck and i didn't think he owudl actually do it. but he started it up and got on the gas a took off btu teh only bad thing is that he spun and got no speed so he nose dived off and hit pretty hard but he's a tuff lil solider and just drove away like nothing happened;)

Pro Rider
10-24-2002, 10:42 AM
Ha ha a buddy of mine has a 250r and he was in the high school parking lot, to unload it he would just punch it and drive out of the truck without ramps. Well one day he did that and his truck bed must have been wet but he didnt get going fast enough and nosed over and broke out all of his front teeth. I must have hurt! I rode woth him to the hospital.

Pro Rider
10-24-2002, 10:43 AM
[B]Ha ha a buddy of mine has a 250r and he was in the high school parking lot, to unload it he would just punch it and drive out of the truck without ramps. Well one day he did that and his truck bed must have been wet but he didnt get going fast enough and nosed over and broke out all of his front teeth. I must have hurt! I rode with him to the hospital. He has fake teeth now

knighttime
10-24-2002, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by phatswinn

well in that case ill take a jump off the quad, but its really really easy just hafta stay on the gas and ur fine....as long as its warmed up

if u say so, but dont say we didnt warn u

roostin_dale
10-25-2002, 09:32 PM
my dads old scrambler was too heavy to turn sideways on the trailer so he tried loading it up over the side for the first time. Got to the top and the ramps fell, the quad flipped backwards and nearly landed on him.

2002_300_EX
10-27-2002, 05:14 PM
I dont know if anyone said this yet but if you want to be safe about it...just get an old winch off of ebay and mount it in the back of your truck......hook it up, put her in nuetral, and push the little button...boom.....done

Honda2003
11-06-2002, 07:27 PM
i just lift my quad in the back of my truck by hand. gonna get some ramps someday though.

lil400exman
11-19-2002, 09:32 AM
just use a tilt trailer!they are ramps and a trialer put together the best!get steel mesh not wood cause they slip when wet!:eek:

QuadTrix6
11-19-2002, 02:37 PM
im currently rocking a tilt trailer lol, until i buy my enclosed next year :blah

Steve-o 400EX
11-28-2002, 04:58 PM
Its really tough for me, whether I pick it up or use ramps, i need to find an incline to back up to cuz I have an F-150 with a 5 in lift and 34 in tires. The ramps can be scary when its wet or icy!