PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom teeth

Scro
09-13-2006, 01:58 PM
Mine are really starting to bug me, so I guess it's about time for them to be cut out. But, I've always wondered why they need to be cut out in the first place and why do they cause so much trouble?

insaneracin2003
09-13-2006, 02:07 PM
there roots are about 3/4 long, and they need to cut your gums to be able to get under there with there hook. they need to stitch the gums because of the hole that the tooth sits in.

Scro
09-13-2006, 02:08 PM
What makes so bad that they have to take them out in the first place?

insaneracin2003
09-13-2006, 02:09 PM
im no dentist but that is what i remember from it.i hadd all 4 done at 1 time,easiest way to go.

insaneracin2003
09-13-2006, 02:12 PM
well,tooth decay,cavities that start in there. when they start getting cavities it causes horrible head-aches,for me at least,once i had them removed my headaches pretty much went away.I think it has something to do with the nerves in your gums because of how far the roots go in your gums.

250exen
09-13-2006, 02:12 PM
my girlfriend just got that done, she said it wasnt bad as everyone says it is. She was back to normal in 3 days, as a matter of fact, she was eating pizza with me the next day so...

edit- it was all 4 at once also...

Scro
09-13-2006, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by 250exen
my girlfriend just got that done, she said it wasnt bad as everyone says it is. She was back to normal in 3 days, as a matter of fact, she was eating pizza with me the next day so...

edit- it was all 4 at once also...

That's good to hear.

Quad18star
09-13-2006, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by insaneracin2003
well,tooth decay,cavities that start in there. when they start getting cavities it causes horrible head-aches,for me at least,once i had them removed my headaches pretty much went away.I think it has something to do with the nerves in your gums because of how far the roots go in your gums.

I was the same . I had really bad headaches before I had 1 of them pulled .

Basically , if the tooth wraps around the nerve or puts pressure on the nerve , it can cause all sorts of aches and pains . For me it was bad headaches and constant sore teeth/jaw . I had it ripped out a few weeks ago , and now everything is back to normal .

Mxjunkie
09-13-2006, 02:16 PM
I had all 4 of mine cut out cause they were all impacted.. but I couldnt open my mouth for atleast a week or two it sucked I couldnt chew either..

Invest in cheese steaks thats about the only thing I could eat :p

Quad18star
09-13-2006, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by 250exen

It isn't as bad as everyone says it is . I've had fillings done that have hurt a whole lot more . On the same night that I had the tooth pulled , I has eating solid foods .... just chewing on 1 side of my mouth . If you do decide to eat , just be careful that no food packs into the site , or it'll cause infections .

insaneracin2003
09-13-2006, 02:21 PM
oh yeah,on the up side the prescriptions are great too. dont operate any machinery :chinese:

Scro
09-13-2006, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by insaneracin2003
oh yeah,on the up side the prescriptions are great too. dont operate any machinery :chinese:

:cool: Didn't think about that:p

JRP
09-13-2006, 02:32 PM
my sisters are comming in and shes gonna have to get hers removed soon too.

ShiftFMX
09-13-2006, 04:23 PM
I had all four of mine done at the same time. it was by far the worst thing I have ever been thru. I ended up with 2 dry sockets (exposed nerves down in the open cavity) I was in unbearable pain for about 5 days straight. I layed in bed the entire time. I Couldnt eat so when I took the vicoden I had no food in my stomach, there for I was dizzy the whole time and puked about 3 times a day

Buuuut, My girlfriend had hers done and she was good to go in about 4 days.:grr:

SGA
09-13-2006, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by ShiftFMX
I ended up with 2 dry sockets (exposed nerves down in the open cavity) I was in unbearable pain for about 5 days straight. I layed in bed the entire time.

I had two removed on the left side no big deal, followed the denists aftercare instructions, all was well,

The blood clot that forms inside the hole creates a protection for the newly exposed jawbone nerves.
I had the other two removed a month later on the other side, I didnt follow the denists instructions, the clot came out and I ended up the same as you, a dry socket. Unbelivable pain for 5 days, thumped to your heartbeat just like hitting your thumb with a hammer or slamming it in a door. Vicoden didnt even slow the pain down plus I had it done on a monday and had to work all week like that. luckly dry sockets are pretty rare.

Its not to bad to have them out, just follow the denists aftercare instructions and youll be good to go.

dober250R
09-14-2006, 08:02 AM
I guess i'm really lucky. I'm 22 years old, and everytime they do x-rays, they tell me I have no wisdom teeth. And I've never had any removed!!! That's right!! I have no wisdom teeth to worry about. So, does this mean I have no wisdom?:chinese:

bwamos
09-14-2006, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by dober250R
So, does this mean I have no wisdom?:chinese:

Well, if you have to ask the question......

LOL, just messing around. ;)

Probably called wisdom teeth because only the old and wise have them. If they didn't fit, and decayed, absessed, etc.. it probably killed you at about 25-35, lol.

RidinRed420
09-14-2006, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Scro
Mine are really starting to bug me, so I guess it's about time for them to be cut out. But, I've always wondered why they need to be cut out in the first place and why do they cause so much trouble?

Well from what I understand, the reason wisdom teeth usually need to be removed is because as humans have evolved, our jaws have also evolved, so we no longer need them and they no longer fit properly in our mouthes...

I had all four of mine removed last Feb. It was a pretty ****ty experience. All four were infected and impacted, so it was an emergency appointment. When I got to the dentist I was really nervous, so as soon as they gave me the gas to put me to sleep, I threw up... When I woke up all I could taste was blood. They told me one would hurt more than the other becuase it gave them trouble coming out... We left to go get my prescription and the pain set in about 5 minutes down the road. Then I was sitting waiting for my prescription and my lips were numb, so I couldn't feel the blood and saliva pouring out of my mouth.. Yea it was pretty. My face was bruised and swollen for about 2 weeks after..

I am not someone who is a big baby when they go to the dentist either.. I had my first root canal when I was 5 and I have had 4 other since, as well as one tooth removed..

My boyfriend on the other hand, had all four of his removed and went on a 50 mile ride in a snow storm that night... He just couldn't wear his helmet because his face was so swollen...

Oh yea and his dad, who is in his later 50's maybe early 60's, was just told he needs to have his removed.. So be glad you are getting it done early! He was told he would want at least a week off of work to recover.

It seems like some people have decent experiences, while others have horrible experiences.. It all depends. Good luck.. and make sure you have a really good meal the night before, just in case you don't have such a good experince.

KingRage12
09-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Most people can not accomodate wisdom teeth due to the fact our jaws are not as broad or big as they once were ( evolution). Most people have TMJ which is a disorder that causes fatique, tooth ache and so on from clenching and grinding (which most everyone does). It is best to have them removed when they are unerupted but thru the bone. I say we mostly remove wisdom teeth on patients who are around 16 and during the summer break. A dry socket occurs when you have dislodged the blood clot covering the bone, that is probably the worst tooth ache a person can have. I recommend, for at leat 24 hours do not drink from a straw, nothing hot, do not rinse or spit and do not drink carbonated drinks. Keeping ice on your face 20min on and 20 off for 10 to 12 hours will help with the swelling. Also you must understand, removing your wisdom teeth is surgery and you should stay cool, and lay around for a couple of days with out bending over and lifting heavy stuff. I hope this infor helps I know how miserable it can be good luck. Michele

rockman
09-14-2006, 12:49 PM
Wow wisdom teeth really sound like they suck. I was lucky enough to be born without a single wisdom tooth. My dentist told me i'm the first person he's ever seen that didn't have ANY wisdom teeth. I guess my mom did always tell me i had no common sense. :D

FourFiftyFour
09-14-2006, 01:10 PM
I had mine cut out... the whole process of being put totally under was kinda cool.... :blah: haha

its not that bad...actually i think it hurts worse when they are trying to grow in as opposed to the actual surgery and "recovery process"

Scro
09-14-2006, 01:35 PM
I think I should have gotten mine taken out along time ago. Mine are already exposed and have been for the past year or so. But, they are just now starting to hurt.:ermm:

ShiftFMX
09-14-2006, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by CDaleChick
the whole process of being put totally under was kinda cool.... :blah: haha

Hell yeah it was, I wish I coulda takin that stuff home, Its crazy how everything goes blurry then ur gone!

FoxRacing81
09-14-2006, 04:35 PM
I got mine out at 10:00 am, and was out riding at my buddys track at 3:00 pm with not really any side effects.

:cool: