PDA

View Full Version : Shifter rod broke! ???

oddweb
09-13-2006, 07:59 AM
2001 400ex: My shifter rod snapped inbetween the knurls where the bolt for the shifter goes. Does the motor have to be completely taken apart to fix this?? thanks

jason43050
09-13-2006, 09:38 AM
is there anything sticking out? you can weld a piece on to it, my brother did on his honda cr 150 dirt bike. i know its a quad not a dirt bike, but i beleive it would work. my bro got pissed and stomped on his shifer and it snapped off. lol he got a rod the same diamer and welded it on to the little stub, still working till this day... just a idea....

UglyMotha™
09-13-2006, 09:58 AM
cases have to be split, welding the shaft often times will melt the seal and you'll leak oil if you goin to weld it you have to be careful not to get it to hot

hondaracer_34
09-13-2006, 10:12 AM
the same thing happened to me and i still had some of my shifter sticking out so my dad cut off a piece from an old 250x shifter ( the part that has the threads) and welded it onto the piece that was sticking out of my 400ex shaft and then bought a new shifter and all together it only costed around $75 to do it all..

oddweb
09-13-2006, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the responses.I assumed the cases had to be split....was just hopeing they didnt! Yes:only about 3/8in. broke off,so there is enough to weld.
The reason I was asking is:I already planed on welding it,I just wanted to know what my options were if that gasket did end up getting melted.Thanks again