PDA

View Full Version : WOW, I need big help on my 300EX, please try, clutch

kc 300EX
08-30-2002, 06:05 PM
OK, well I am in a pretty bad mood right now, I just got home from Rausch Creek a few days ago, and it was awesome, but I think I killed my quad!

Ok, first, went riding yesterday around here, my clutch was feeling kinda funny, it was slipping it felt like, I tried adjusting it every wich way possible, no good, my quad would roll in gear with the clutch pulled in, and it would rev high on top end and not go anywhere, so my clutch is shot right?
So yeah, by the time I relize this we are about 8 miles from my house, so we head home. on the way home my throttle cable comes undone from the top of my slide(its happened before) so I limp home holding it wide open going a whole 5 miles per hour, anyways, get home, take it apart, fix the carb no problem. Start it up, pure white smoke coming out of the exaust............now, is that burning carb cleaner that we used?? or is it something else? we didnt know, sooo, like *******s, we took it all apart.

We took too much apart, but found out that a gasket was shot(metal one?) yeah, and oil was going into the cylinder and being burned up, my piston was black, and the valves were very black also, a lot of carbon. My piston is not smooth, should it be? Does anyone think I need a new piston if the top isnt smooth, Id rather not b uy one if I dont have to.

OK, back to the clutch-I am trying to take out my clutch plates, but I am stuck, Ive done it on a 400, and it was pretty simple, but its different on a 300EX, I took off the side case, and I took out the 4 bolts and the springs and the plate, But now there is that big bolt in the middle, its a 27mm, and it is holding on the outer part of the clutch basket, so I cant take out the plates.
How do I get this nut off?????? if I put the quad in gear and try to turn it, the quad moves, i tried holdin g the break, that doesnt work, i tried putting it in neutral, that doesnt work because then the whole thing just spins, im so confused, I need to know what to do!! I even read that whole clutch thing in dirtwheels, but it doesnt help on how to get my plates out!!!! Help me please!

2K1 300EX
08-30-2002, 07:02 PM
If the quad is moving, chock the wheels with some bricks or something, or put it right up next to something like a tree so the quad can't move forward; or are meaning the gears are turning freely wile in gear?

kc 300EX
08-30-2002, 07:34 PM
while in gear and I try to turn the boldt, the wheels move, the crank goes up and down, and the cam chain moves, and so do the clutch plates...............while in neutral, the bolt and the pressure plate move

kicken250x
08-30-2002, 09:32 PM
NO!!! STOP RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE DONT DO ANYTHING ELSE TO THE CLUTCH UNTILL YOU READ THIS!!!!!!!!!! ok, there is a little notch that is in the bolt like where it is pushed in towards the shaft you have to get a dremel tool and a grinding wheel and grind the notch out. if you dont do this the you will screw the shaft up and you will spend twice if not more money than you would have befor. so order your self a new nut from troy and grind that spot out of the old one then it will come right off. if you need any more help then post back here ill be looking... later...

kc 300EX
08-30-2002, 10:04 PM
Thanx dude, i was afraid I was gonna break sumthing so I havent done anything..........Im leaving right now to go try and get that nut off, thanx a lot for the advice!!

kc 300EX
08-30-2002, 10:31 PM
ok dude, i need help, i dremeled the nut, and I still cant loosen the damn thing, it feels like everything in the engine is gonna twist and break or sumthing, and I dont wanna break anything, is there a trick to this?? please help!

kicken250x
08-31-2002, 09:50 AM
are you sure you got the whole notch out because i did the same thing had to go back at it again

kc 300EX
09-02-2002, 11:46 AM
Can I just cut the nut off?? I have a cutting wheel for the dremel, i ordered a new nut, I just dont wanna screw up the shaft its on, is it safe to cut off?? because turning it is hopeless

bakerboyz
09-02-2002, 12:13 PM
The clymer manual says

"Use a die grinder to unstake the clutch center locknut from the groove in the mainshaft.

Lock the clutch center(special tool may be required)

Loosen and remove the clutch center locknut and washer."

Hope this helps

kc 300EX
09-02-2002, 02:30 PM
thanx bakerboyz................Any idea what the "special tool" is?? I guess I need one, someone tell me where to buy it please!

bakerboyz
09-02-2002, 02:46 PM
tHE BOOK LISTS 3 WAYS

1. Purchase a Honda clutch center holder part # 07jmb-mn50300

2. Put the trans into gear and hold the sprocket (chain removed) with a clutch holding tool (looks like vice grips with bent butter knives for tips.)

3. use a separate gear to lock the clutch outter gear to the primary drive gear ( They show a gear from a Kawasaki wedged into the other two gears)

Note; This section is filled with note pictures and sub notes. Looks like you got your hands full.

Good Luck

kc 300EX
09-02-2002, 04:13 PM
wow, i feel like a dumbass now...

I asked my dad to take a look at the nut and give me some advice on what to do, so he looked at it for about 3 seconds, and he says "Use the Impact Gun" I was like "WHAT!?! my quad will blow up, the shaft will snap in half!" and hes like "No no, the impact gun puts pressure on the nut, not the shaft, just put it in neutral" I was like "Ok sure, what do I got to lose?"

Well yeah, 3 seconds later the nut came right off!!

Now I just gotta wait for the new one to get here, sometime at the end of this week and I can start rebuilding it!

In the mean time, I gotta get the frame welded, and work to pay for these parts, thanks for the help guys

kicken250x
09-03-2002, 04:49 PM
were you useing a regular 3/8 drive with a 22mm socket on it or were you useing a torque wrench? i had to use a 3 ft torque wrench to get mine off...

kc 300EX
09-03-2002, 05:14 PM
At first I was using a regular 1/2 inch ratchet with a 6 point 27mm socket, that wasnt working so I had a bar on the handle of the ratchet, That didnt help at all cuz I was too afraid of breaking or twisting sumthing I wasnt supposed too.

The impact gun worked wonders for getting it off, But I am gonna have to borrow a torque wrench to but it back on.........wouldnt happen to know the specs on it would ya?

MeatHead
09-03-2002, 05:40 PM
Having never redone a clutch myself I assume you are talking about the lock nut that the manual says to unstake before removal. Under installation it says to torque this lock nut to 108 N*m (11.0 kgf*m, 80 lbf*ft) After it is torqued it says to stake the lock nut, it also says that you are suppose to use a new lock nut when you install this nut. I suppose that makes sense otherwise how are you suppose to stake it.
But there are a lot of other torque values for the other nuts and bolts in there, and service limits you should know to determine if you clutch is really shot. I would get a manual to know for certain that you are doing everything correctly.

09-03-2002, 06:22 PM
i have a barnet cluch kit, still in package for sale. i sold my 300 so i dont need them anymore. if your interested let me know

kc 300EX
09-04-2002, 02:22 PM
Phatazz315ex- I sent you 15 bucks in the mail for shockwears and a tail light wich mysteriously disappeared and somehow you didnt get, I guess that was my mistake for sending cash
:(
So no thanx, I already ordered a new clutch from moto-man

Meat Head-thanx for the advice, Im gonna see if I can borrow a manual

09-04-2002, 07:34 PM
i dint know if you were deff sending the cash or not i waited like 2 weeks. i got another deal on em so i just sold em

kc 300EX
09-07-2002, 10:38 PM
Thats not the point dude, I understand that, but see, I sent you the money in the mail, I didnt get any parts AND I didnt get my damn money back, why is that?? You earned that money for getting me to send it to you?? You dont wanna pay the 35 cents to send it back to me?? What the **** dude! Yeah its ONLY 15 dollars, but Im poor, I worked 3 hours to earn that 15 dollars and I dont have it anymore and I dont have the parts I wanted either!!! Want me send you a new stamp so you can give me my money back?? or would you just steal that too?