View Full Version : Nice surprise for my dad...

450RGNCC
09-12-2006, 11:05 PM
Well, about a year and a half ago my dad tracked down a 1969 Ford Torino GT Cobra that he used to own when he was young. When my dad had the car, it had the original 351 windsor and 4 spd trans in it, but it was stolen and the engine and trans were taken out. So, he put a 351 cleveland and an automatic in it, and he just didnt like how it ran after that, so he sold it. The guy that bought it from him put a 351 windsor and 4 spd back into it, and parked it, so it has been sitting in hiss garage for about 20 years. So, my dad was estatic when he found the car, however, the guy that owned it had no plans of selling it. My dad talked to him several times and he pretty much gave up hope of ever having the car back again. So, it has been a few months since he last called, and about about 4 days ago my mom decided to call the guy and just see what he said, without telling my dad. And, to our surprise, the guy said that he would sell it to us. So, on thursday we are going to pay for the car and transfer the title, and on friday we will have it delivered to our house so that when my dad gets home from work, he will have the surprise of his life. My dad has helped me so much and has been such a huge part of my life, so I think that this is a fitting payback from my mom and I to him. I will get pics of the car when as soon as I get the chance, and I will post them up.

firefighterjosh
09-12-2006, 11:15 PM
Thats awesome! I hope to do the same for my dad someday

HB416EX
09-13-2006, 08:12 AM
Funny story my buddy in HS had a 69 Torino his dad sold it when he was in the hospital getting his appendix out.Some dads are cool some are not.

trick250r
09-13-2006, 08:34 AM
your dads gonna love it...

quadman440ex
09-13-2006, 07:25 PM
My dad still has his first car, a 1966 GTO 389 tri power 4spd. He bought it new and grampa sold it when dad was drafted to the army in 1970, a local guy bought it and dad bought it back from him. Dad has never sold a single car in his life, so he has a yard full of cars.

Mxjunkie
09-13-2006, 07:29 PM
That's awesome, my boss had his first car sitting in the garage, early 70s vega that he put a small block into, then turned it into a drag car and now he's making it back to how it was when he first got it.. Kinda neat :D

bwamos
09-14-2006, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by HB416EX
Funny story my buddy in HS had a 69 Torino his dad sold it when he was in the hospital getting his appendix out.Some dads are cool some are not.

Probably needed the money for the hospital bill. There's always 2 sides to every story. ;)

On the origional posters note: Your dad is going to be estatic! That's one of the coolest things ever.

SGA
09-14-2006, 07:53 AM
Thumbs up!

HB416EX
09-14-2006, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
Probably needed the money for the hospital bill. There's always 2 sides to every story. ;)

On the origional posters note: Your dad is going to be estatic! That's one of the coolest things ever.

Yeah but you dont just sell your kids car.It was only $400 also.

bwamos
09-14-2006, 08:47 AM
:D

WhiteYFZ
09-14-2006, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by trick250r
your dads gonna love it...

ilpadrino113
09-14-2006, 10:17 AM
awsome, your dad's gonna be a happy guy when he gets home

bwamos
09-14-2006, 10:49 AM
PS - My appologies for the hijack. ;) I'll remove post to keep it on course. :)

450RGNCC
09-14-2006, 07:50 PM
Well, we went and paid for the car tonight and got the title, and i actually got to check out the car for the first time, and all that I can say is WOW. This car has sat for 20 years (last inspected in 87) and has only seen the light of day a couple of times since then, and it is in incredible condition. There is NO RUST anywhere on this car, and even though the engine and trans are not original, they are still coded to a 69 GT. The interior is also amazing, everything is still in such good shape, which is a rare find from a car like this that has sat all of this time. Aparently this guy would pull the car out about once a year and coat the interior with armor-all, and then put it back in the garage. The only downfall is that the paint is a little faded. Tomorrow morning I wil pick the car up (on a rollback), and the only things that I need to tend to is a small fuel leak near the carb and the brakes are not currently working, but he said they worked fine 2 years ago when he took the car for a quick spin down the street and then parked it again. Unfortunately, i did not get any pics tonight, because I was too busy drooling, but I will have some tomorrow.

WhiteYFZ
09-14-2006, 08:16 PM
sounds cool. i hope when i get a lil older i can get my dad his first car. i always cath him looking at them on ebay.. firebird or trans am .. one of them

450RGNCC
09-15-2006, 12:30 PM
Well, we got the car this moring, and I have it all cleaned up and waxed. It isnt looking too bad, but it definitely needs a paint job; this will be a great car for a restoration. Unfortunately it is raining right now, so I cant get any pics of the car now that its cleaned up, but I do have a pic from before we picked it up, and my mom took one while I was washing it.

450RGNCC
09-15-2006, 12:34 PM
The pics wont work, i tried a couple of times, i dont know what is going on

redzoomer
09-15-2006, 12:38 PM
oh now you got all wondering what it looks like!! Those were hot cars! My dad had one and a 68" Cougar convertable!

450RGNCC
09-15-2006, 01:11 PM
Yah, i will try again now, maybe it will work. We also like the Cougars, my mom has a 68 XR7, it was her first car, we keep trying to get it out and get it repainted and road worthy, but she wont let us touch it! lets try the pic again...

450RGNCC
09-15-2006, 01:14 PM
It just wont work, if someone else wants to post them, I can email the pics... it would be greatly appreciated

Ralph
09-15-2006, 01:58 PM
rnuss@randrcoatings.com

Ralph
09-15-2006, 04:17 PM
:)

Ralph
09-15-2006, 04:17 PM
;)

Camaroguy87132
09-15-2006, 04:42 PM
Dude. That thing is looking sexy. You should videotape when he comes home just to see his reaction. That is one awesome thing you are doing there.

I still have my first car.. even though im not that old.. but i've had it for 2-3 years and i dont plan on selling it for a long long LONG time.

450RGNCC
09-15-2006, 07:26 PM
Thanks for posting those, Ralph. When he got home tonight and walked into the garage, he was totally surprised. It was emotional for him, but he was VERY happy. I did have it on video on the camera phone, but i forgot to save it b/c he gave me a huge hug. O well, just the fact of how happy it made him is good enough for me.

Pappy
09-15-2006, 07:28 PM
That was a good gesture!

dirt308
09-15-2006, 09:55 PM
That thing is in really nice shape. My dad and I just re did a 59 chey apache pick up. The paint looks pretty good on it, I'd take it somewhere and try to see about having it buffed out, I think it would make a big difference if the paint is kind of dull.

450RGNCC
09-15-2006, 10:33 PM
I wish that this paint could be buffed out, but there are too many scratches and the paint went too long without wax so it cracked everywhere; the only way to fix that is new paint.

Xater
09-16-2006, 06:36 AM
thats one hot car!!! I wish I could do that for my dad :)

MX300ex
09-16-2006, 07:19 AM
thats a sick car...

the paint looks alot better on the sides then on the tops

09-16-2006, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by 450RGNCC
Thanks for posting those, Ralph. When he got home tonight and walked into the garage, he was totally surprised. It was emotional for him, but he was VERY happy. I did have it on video on the camera phone, but i forgot to save it b/c he gave me a huge hug. O well, just the fact of how happy it made him is good enough for me.

You are an awesome son!!!!!!!!!!!

09-16-2006, 09:27 AM
thats really cool and nice what u did for your dad...i wish i could do that someday for my dad...like 6 years ago we restored a 1970 chevelle SS 454 all matching numbers, ls5, convertible...we sold it then tried to buy it back 2 years later but the guy said he didnt get enough enjoyment out of the car yet so he was gunna keep it so we comtacted him about a year ago and he still didnt want to sell it...and just a couple weeks ago the car was on ebay and sold for $170,000 after my dad baught it in boxes for $20,000 and we spent a year restoring it doing all of the work ourselves...i hope when i am older i can buy it back for him because we have so many good memories with that car, restoring it, takin it on a like 8 hour trip to go to the chevellabration car show in tennesse 2 years in a row...but anyways its really nice that u did that for your dad