PDA

View Full Version : Intake questions

hottrike
09-12-2006, 10:47 PM
Has anyone had a problem when they converted thier 400ex to a crf450r. I am trying to find a way to build, buy or whatever soem kind of intake that doesn't have to bend all up to get to the filter. My mechanic says I'm losing at least 7 ponies from this crap. HELP PLEASE. . . . .

ss440ex
09-12-2006, 10:59 PM
Try some radiator hose...

09-13-2006, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by ss440ex
Try some radiator hose...

Were do you get the right radiator hose? I tryed boat radiator hose and it was way to stiff.

ss440ex
09-13-2006, 07:33 AM
NAPA auto parts has several.
Know the diameter.

hottrike
09-13-2006, 08:45 AM
If I use the radiator hose will it not be all bent and just blocked? Is there any specific way to get it through the hole between the frame and the shock clear. Or are you talking about going over the bar and back down?

hottrike
09-13-2006, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by ss440ex
NAPA auto parts has several.
Know the diameter.

how did you gt your carb up that high. My motor sits down low in the frame and for me to look like that i have to come up and then back down

markvette
09-13-2006, 03:36 PM
his motor is a yamaha yz426 not a honda,

416exmx
09-13-2006, 05:57 PM
haha 7hp loss huh? Unless you have it in a total mess there is no way your loosing 7hp. Get some radiator hose though and make a new boot from your carb to the head and cut the hose on two different angles to allow the carb to point up and over a little. It will make the boot from the carb to the airbox work alot better. You can also cut all the tabs off your airbox and move it up in the subframe a few inches so that the boot dont bend over the frame rail so much

hottrike
09-13-2006, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by 416exmx
haha 7hp loss huh? Unless you have it in a total mess there is no way your loosing 7hp. Get some radiator hose though and make a new boot from your carb to the head and cut the hose on two different angles to allow the carb to point up and over a little. It will make the boot from the carb to the airbox work alot better. You can also cut all the tabs off your airbox and move it up in the subframe a few inches so that the boot dont bend over the frame rail so much

Yah its totally jacked up man. I dont even know how the guy i bought it from set that up. I am trying to set it up and get it going in the right derection though. What do i need to get to make a new boot? I have always been a 2 stroke guy and these things have alot more crap going on.

thanks

kustomfab2003
09-13-2006, 11:43 PM
He got the quad from me... dont see how he is losing that much power with this setup. Here the the link to a pic from when I had it.... scroll down and you will see a few agles of it. Cant believe you would flame me like that on the bike... LOL.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=189459

hottrike
09-14-2006, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by kustomfab2003
He got the quad from me... dont see how he is losing that much power with this setup. Here the the link to a pic from when I had it.... scroll down and you will see a few agles of it. Cant believe you would flame me like that on the bike... LOL.

Yah my mechanic says thats the only real thing wrong with that bike now. the flow of that tube is cut like in half when it passes through the frame. So I'm just trying to find someway to fix it and have straight clean flow between point A and B.

kustomfab2003
09-14-2006, 12:47 AM
One option I thought of would be to get a piece of aluminum tubing bent and place it were the kink is to eliminate the kink and have a smooth flow all the way through.

hottrike
09-14-2006, 09:30 AM
One option I thought of would be to get a piece of aluminum tubing bent and place it were the kink is to eliminate the kink and have a smooth flow all the way through.

thats actually something that we are looking into right now. I guess there is some companie that produces bikes set up kinda likethe hybrid, the use other companies frames and drop insane motors in them. Kelly ( Mechanic ) seems to think that he has seen a set up made specifically for that problem but hes not sure. Hes ghatta find it again.

09-14-2006, 09:57 AM

I tryed to use that same rubber tube for my intake. That stuff dont bend. If you try to it just creases.

Could a intake tube be coustom made by buying a rubber tube like in the link and taking a tortch to it and kinda of making it melt/soft and bend it and let it cool the way you need it or will the rubber just burn?

Im thinking of using a white plastic dryer hose cause its bendable.

markvette
09-14-2006, 02:15 PM
hesr is a link to the hose.

duct hose (http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/112/gfx/small/5488kp1s)

hottrike
09-14-2006, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by markvette
hesr is a link to the hose.

duct hose (http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/112/gfx/small/5488kp1s)

Your link doesn't work man. were is it too.

markvette
09-14-2006, 03:12 PM
it is suppose to go to mcmaster carr. it goes there for me but not to the right page. if you get the first page. look at the first list for pipe and hoses. click on duct hose and you will see what i am talking about.

Mark

TampaBoy813
09-19-2006, 04:38 PM
Stock box with stock boot.....