PDA

View Full Version : Which would win in a drag

balla250ex
08-30-2002, 04:23 PM
I was talkin to my friend the other day about his new z400 and he had a question about some other 400cc sport quads... He wanted to know which one would be faster between the z400, 400ex, and scrambler 400. Thanx

Juggalo
08-30-2002, 05:02 PM
with equal riders:

z-400
400ex
and waaay in last place the scram..

honestly you shoulda known this one already but oh well.

jshtex
08-30-2002, 07:03 PM
My son drag races his 400ex fairly regularly. There are three diferent places here that have organized sand drags.

He's beat both of the z400s he has raced, one stock and one with a pipe.

He, at diferent times, has out run a scrambler and on others lost too one. Keep in mind that the scrambler is a 400 2 stroke (probably a little better for drag racing, like a banshee) and it is an automatic so you don't lose anything shifting.

As a matter of fact (for what its worth) they usually seperate the scramblers into a seperate class around here to be fair to the others.

The last scrambler he raced was moded and had paddle tires. A girl was driving and man it was fast. All she had to do was nail the throttle and hold on.

09-01-2002, 06:45 PM
The Cannondale Cannibal would mop any of the three up in a drag race........

own2424
09-01-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by justfine
The Cannondale Cannibal would mop any of the three up in a drag race........
Yup, NO question about it!!!

09-01-2002, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the support brotha......

09-01-2002, 09:16 PM
z400
400ex
scrambler

hillclimber4x4
09-02-2002, 11:21 AM
If it were an endurance race,the 400ex would probably win.But if it were a drag race,I think the z400 would win.

2qk4u
09-04-2002, 08:24 AM
I've not been beat yet by a z400 and have race about 5 different ones now more than once each. just my 2 cents

ChadEXer
09-04-2002, 09:21 AM
400EX all the way:D

09-04-2002, 11:21 AM
Get off that weak stuff, and get a cannondale. The other quads are no match for the The Dale's speed.......vrmmmmmm

09-04-2002, 11:38 AM
I'd put my money on a built 2 wheel drive scrambler..:eek:

I had one that was slightly modded and it stomped the competition..I couldn't imagine a highly modded one..:devil

Have any of you ever rode a modded 2 wheel drive scrambler or sport 400L???

09-04-2002, 11:49 AM
Well actually, I have rode one a 400 and 500 a couple of years ago, and they were slow. I rode a DS650 the smae day, and I remember the DS650 was faster and pulled way harder. And PLEASE get off that pipe. My Moto would mop up a Scrambler in any kind of race. I would lay money on it...

09-04-2002, 12:34 PM
I'm guessing the polaris's were stock???

I think it's sandman that owns a pissed off sport 400L like I used to have...he said it's favorite snack is piped and built banshee's..:eek: You don't have to believe me that there fast,,mine had simple mods to it,,never got into the motor besides different reeds....it smoked piped 400ex's, LT 250's, 250R's, some dirtbikes above the 125cc range,,,it was faster than my 416 hands down..anywho this is turning into a pissing contest old polaris 400l sports were and still are fast quads,,i can't tell you how many times I've read people state that this particular model smoked everyone at the drag races all over the US.. I"m not stating the C-dales are slow but at the TT races in bardstown in KY I never seen a C-dale blow by anybody in any class,,even the open pro-am..they were gettin there arse's handed to them actually,,but they are stock motors with pipes,,,I think that is absolutely awesome....the arguement I'm makin is old polaris sport 400L's or scramblers as they changed there names to are by all means not slow quads..

09-04-2002, 12:48 PM
Stock for stock I still stand by my original statement. A stock Cannondale will out-run a stock anything else. If you wanted to start going mod for mod I can't say; however, Any Cannondale is a better starting point than any Polaris. 150lbs. lighter with more power. Gee...... Also, I have dragged 400 and 500's polaris, Raptors, 416's, Banshees, all that stuff tough guy. I even stomped a Banshee with a 510 or 520 kit (whatever, it was not enough). Rico, have you rode a Cannondale?

09-04-2002, 12:50 PM
Polaris must be faster in Ky than Il........lol

09-04-2002, 01:20 PM
Rico, have you rode a Cannondale?

Yes I have,,,and if you were thinkin I was saying a stock polaris was faster than a C-dale,,,you need to put the pipe down,,,I'm not a friggen idiot..:rolleyes: Anywho I would put my money on a stock C-dale in a drag race against any other stock machine in production...DUH

OK I"ll admit you have the fastes C-dale in the world,,, but You keep over looking my statement that I made about a built polaris 400L sport is not slow..if you think they are then you 've never rode one or raced one..I don't consider a K&N filter on one being reffered to as built either..but whatever,,that was this then is now and it's goin nowere,,good luck in your drag racing..:cool:

ChadEXer
09-04-2002, 01:24 PM
I guess I better go get me a C-Dale:rolleyes:

Doibugu2
09-04-2002, 01:25 PM
Polaris must be faster in Ky than Il........lol

What side of the bed did you wake up on today. Man are u in a bad mood or what. All your responses have been pissy! :grr

09-04-2002, 01:26 PM
Don't get in a bind Rico. No, I have never rode a built Polaris. I imagine that it could be made into a fast machine. So could a 300EX with all the right mods. Nevermind me, I have motocross on the brain, so I relate to quads and racing usually only that way.......peace

09-04-2002, 01:28 PM
Where is Round Lake Beach? Sorry Dudes, I am just a little argumentative today. I will try and tone it down.....

Bean
09-04-2002, 03:36 PM
i had sanddraggens build polaris 400l stomp me, yes they are fast if they are built, anything can be fast if built up

Crazy4bluEx
09-04-2002, 06:07 PM
justfine- rico's statement about bardstown Ky is correct....
those dales were getting completely SMOKED.....
and it wasnt the RIDER for all you that brought that up the last time.... these guys were catching up in the corners, and when the other r's an shees an the EX's could open up......
the dale was toast.... this is just what i have seen at bardstown...

*K*

Krazy Kid
09-04-2002, 06:40 PM
I would say the z 400 would come out on top. Next i would say the 400ex. My friend has a 2002 400ex and my other friend has a 2000 scrambler 400 and they just mop all ova it. My friend's scrambla is bored out .020 over, and even though it doesn't gain much speed it still only pulls about 63. My friend ryan has a prairie 650 and it will take it!

jshtex
09-04-2002, 06:49 PM
Whenever I hear blanket statements about "xyz quad is faster than abc" I usually think, is this a 12 year old posting or maybe someone who reads too much dirt wheels. Not trying to start any crap here, but people who have done much actuall racing realize that it is just not that cut and dried.

The point too my post before was that everyone thinks z400s are the fastest (of the three in the first post), but few people have actually drag raced one. And they can be beat....

People seem to think the scramblers are slow, but if you have ever DRAG raced one you know they can hold their own.

The cannondales are fast quads. I have never seen one at a drag race (for some reason) but I have seen a couple of cannibles and a moto in MX and I haven't seen one get a holeshot yet. My son on a mildly modded 400ex (unless he makes a mistake, which does happen) gets better starts. Can he hold em off, no not usually, but he can definatly beat em to the first turn.

Take these four quads throw in banshees, raptors and 250r's and on any given day they can all be beat (IN A DRAG RACE) by the others. Just because your quad is faster on paper doesn't mean it will win every time. Too much can go wrong.....

jshtex
09-04-2002, 07:02 PM
Krazy Kid... I am going to use you as an example here (sorry not trying to piss you off).

It sounds like you are guessing or assuming the z400 would win, I am saying this because you didn't mention that you had actually ever seen a z400 race anything.

Lots of people make these assumptions based on what they have read on the internet or in magazines. We think we can believe everything we read.

When you actually get out there you see that it just is not always what you think. Me included....

Bean
09-04-2002, 07:17 PM
im wit jshtex on this one, but on the polaris deal, that thing didnt beat me in 50yrds or nothin, it beat me in about alot of yrds, 1 1/2 - 2 or so ftball feilds im guessing, so it was topped out, and i was topped out, and i lost by more than i will say, so built up, anything can win, and also, if i had a badstart, it didnt matter, it was beating a quite a few pretty nice shee's and raptors, so it wasnt a start thing, it was the quad

rrider7399
09-04-2002, 08:55 PM
Since we're talking about drag racing....there will be grass drags in Milton, Wi. on Sept. 15. In the Spring race there were about 200 quads there. I know of at least one Z400 that will be there on the 15th. For more info go to http://monkeybuttatv.com

One_Bad_400
09-05-2002, 03:33 PM
jshtex, how old is your son and what is his name, i have few cousins that live and go to school there

09-05-2002, 07:06 PM
Well as we have 2 Z400's and last weekend we DID DO a lot of dragging....let me say this:

I had a stock 400EX give me a run 2 out of the 5 times he raced me.

I blew away another 400EX about 5 different times.

I had a little semi-modded Blaster give me a good run once...I beat him after that.

I had a modded Banshee beat me once and I beat him about 3 times. (we never hit high gear).

I lined up with a stock Raptor and he got the jump....then I ran just behind him but even with him the whole race. He didn't want to line up again.

All this was done in sand and most of us didn't get out of 4th. We got it all on video. :D

I like all of those quads....they are ALL awesome...I don't see why some of you get into flame wars. Just goes to show....they all can win....but I DID win most of my races...and it is all ON VIDEO...about 50 different drags.

:cool:

Jamey

Evan
09-05-2002, 10:06 PM
I am going with Rico on this one. The Scrambler 400s are no joke. I wasted many a EX with mine stock. Depending on how long the race is the results would be like this(say100yds)Scrambler, 400EX, Z400. Thats if they are all stock and brand new.
What a lot of people dont know is that the scramblers have these shims in the tranny that are plastic and eventually wear out and they need to be replaced every so often or buy a kit that makes them aluminum. When these buttons wear out, accelration and speed is not in the picture, they become slow as snails.
I had a few mods on my scrambler and it woke it up, I can only imagine what sandraggens 75hp motor, with its chassis lightned a hundred pounds,(which btw, my scrambler was 540pounds vs, the EXs 375) would do in a dragrace.

ChadEXer
09-06-2002, 09:29 AM
I think drag racing is the 8th wonder of the world:D Wether I come in 1st or last place I have one he!! of a time,,,aint nutun like that adrenaline pumpin at the startin line!!!!

balla250ex
09-07-2002, 09:55 AM
Man those cannondales are fast, but look how much money they are. Yea sure if you buy a different quad you will prally be putting in around 12,000 bucks to make it as fast as one but still.

QuadFixer
09-07-2002, 07:27 PM
Even though it's not on the list... A Banshee.

buckNbanshee
09-08-2002, 10:28 AM
Z400
400ex
scrambler

raptor_02
09-08-2002, 07:32 PM
i'm going to side with justfine on this one. Cannondales by far provide the most power out of a stock quad. But I think that the point Rico was trying to make is the sport 400L responds to modifications real well!!!!!!! Not everything reponds the same to modifications. Mods really open up some quads but mods don't help others as well. But I know that there will be no stock scrambler take my piped ex in a drag race. Just won't happen. Those things aren't fast stock I don't care what anyone says. I raced an old sport400L on my 300ex when I was younger and he wouldn't take me by much. My 400 would run circles around my 300 so there's no chance for the stock scrambler against a 400ex or Z400.

Castor-426ex
09-08-2002, 10:01 PM
haha another battle story...2wd 400 sport ... they are sleepers...

i got my arse handed to me about a year ago a lbl..n the big field where everyone parks there is a great spot to drag...

well i was out there playin the bada$% racin other 400s and warriors and such...then this ds650 and polaris lined up...im like
:huh wtf....then when they racked em off i heard it...i think a built polaris sounds almost identical as a banshee if not better...i mean it drowned everything out...you couldnt hear nothing but winding out 2 stroke..and that ds got beat down...

so then i pull up and give it a shot...i got the holeshot but thats all I got...besides a helmet full of sand...and an embarassing moment...

i dont think a cannibal could have touched him.. but i know nothing there did