PDA

View Full Version : which paddles for lightly modded 400ex

fordhondarider
09-12-2006, 10:38 AM
I don't want to over paddle my quad but I want good traction for hill climbing and dragging.I plan to go to silver lake if anyones been there

99 400 ex with yellow plastic
stock bore with 11:1 wiseco piston
stage 2 hotcam
dyno jet kit
K&N filter with outerwear and no lid
white brothers slip on Eseries muffler

jabbahoo
09-12-2006, 11:02 AM
I would suggest haulers 6 or 7 paddle

fordhondarider
09-12-2006, 12:51 PM
I could only find 8 paddle haulers.Where else could I get them?

fordhondarider
09-12-2006, 12:54 PM
what about the ams sand snake?I see there just a little more but it likes like there an actual new tire instead of a retread?

jabbahoo
09-12-2006, 12:59 PM
You can go to skate trak.com for your tire needs. I have a set of 20x10x10 on douglas red labels for sale but they are for a Yamaha bolt pattern.

Kansas400ex
09-17-2006, 03:58 PM
jab y u sellin your paddles not gonna go to waynoka anymore

jabbahoo
09-17-2006, 05:33 PM
Pushin to much power for the sandstars need to go to a straight paddle. Otherwise I would keep these paddles they are a great paddle tire.

CHEVYZ
09-18-2006, 04:33 AM
I would say an 8 paddle Hauler. Everyone around here uses them as a paddle of choice on lighly modded 400EX's.

250r4life
09-18-2006, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by CHEVYZ
I would say an 8 paddle Hauler. Everyone around here uses them as a paddle of choice on lighly modded 400EX's.

i would say everyone around there thinks theyre hot stuff and are over paddleing their bikes...

CHEVYZ
09-18-2006, 02:11 PM
8 paddle regular Haulers? The regular Hualers aren't anything. I run them on my EX and they aren't near enough.... though I am not stock. Almost every EX I see with a similar set-up to his is running the 8's and do great. Mybe where you run is different somehow... don't know, but anything less just isn't gonna cut it.

250r4life
09-18-2006, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by CHEVYZ
8 paddle regular Haulers? The regular Hualers aren't anything. I run them on my EX and they aren't near enough.... though I am not stock. Almost every EX I see with a similar set-up to his is running the 8's and do great. Mybe where you run is different somehow... don't know, but anything less just isn't gonna cut it.

lol... rigggggggggght (like dr evil says) :D

jabbahoo
09-19-2006, 07:46 AM
Curtis Sparks drag bikes are running 7 paddles. I seen YFZ's with cams and other mods running 6 and 7 paddle haulers.

CHEVYZ
09-19-2006, 01:29 PM
For what? Hillshoots, or flat out drag racing?

Honda2000
09-20-2006, 08:43 PM
I love my 8 paddle haulers!!!!!

250r4life
09-20-2006, 11:10 PM
if you really want to get the most power out of a slightly moddified 400ex, what you need to do is get some big sand rail tires and modify your hubs so that they'll fit... its the only sure-fire way to ensure that all that power isnt lost in wheel spin... probably like a 15 paddle tire would be the best...

CHEVYZ
09-21-2006, 05:00 AM
Kinda reminds me of his bike. Kind of hard to see, but there is alot of paddle....

http://www.atvdirtbikerecreation.com/pictures/picturestitansspring2006/images/Guypicslaunch.jpg

On the whole ting with the paddle, I am not doubting anybody, I am just trying to understand myself. I mean, considering I have used various set-ups, how could the lesser paddle Haulers benefit me... I am spinning my arse off now.

250r4life
09-21-2006, 01:40 PM
you see that bike in the background... it looks like a pretty serious drag bike... im assuming that ds is as well... quite a bit more power than a 400ex...

even then... i would imagine he is overpaddled... if the drag strip is super short where your launch is absolutely critical, then possibly that is why he has them...

point is... yes you will spin a little bit at the launch... i spin quite a bit... in fact my tires are spinning until i switch from 3rd to 4th... the point is, i would really doubt you will get the launch on me, but even if you did, too much battle will bog you down up the hill or in higher gears, so even if you did get the launch, a lesser paddles tire would catch you later on... also, if you have too much paddle, it will eventually screw you both ways, as it will bog you down and you wont be able to keep your front end down...

CHEVYZ
09-21-2006, 02:37 PM
Yeah, well that is kind of what I figured. The drag strips around here are only 300ft in most areas... I never hit fifth, so the launch is everything. I could understand if the drags were long or uphill.

But yeah, I wasn't comparing that DS to a 400EX, just saying that it reminded me of someone running dune buggy tires. It was incredibly fast. It beat everything out there... and there were some bikes putting out serious numbers on the dynos.

250r4life
09-21-2006, 03:39 PM
i cant imagine not being in 6th by 300ft...

i'd be in 5th at least- no question about that...

Dune Surfer
09-21-2006, 04:09 PM
I had a 426ex with about the same mods, well a couple more. I ride Glamis 50-70 days a year so I have some idea what works. I suggest sand sharks or sand skates. The sand sharks are a good value and spin and slide pretty well. I think thay are far better than sand stars. I use sand skates and I really think they work best when they are worn down a little. You want the tire spinning. Don't over paddle, more fun to ride the sand with the ability to slide.

mephyst
09-21-2006, 04:13 PM
I only got a piped/rev box'ed 400ex and i will make it up any dune with just aired down knobbies. :P I have Sand Skate 2's as well but I throw them on my 450r now.. and haven't yet gotten new paddles for my 400.. I'm debaiting one what to get as well. But trust me, you can definitely over paddle your 400ex... I might get haulers for my 450 and throw the Sand Skate 2's back on the 400.

alty
09-21-2006, 06:43 PM
Yes you can over paddle a 400ex really easy. After trying a set of AMS and a set of Hauler exteremes I tried out a set of 21x12x8 6 paddle Haulers. This set up worked absolutely great. I do all my sand riding at Silver Lake and this worked the best.

250r4life
09-22-2006, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Dune Surfer
I had a 426ex with about the same mods, well a couple more. I ride Glamis 50-70 days a year so I have some idea what works. I suggest sand sharks or sand skates. The sand sharks are a good value and spin and slide pretty well. I think thay are far better than sand stars. I use sand skates and I really think they work best when they are worn down a little. You want the tire spinning. Don't over paddle, more fun to ride the sand with the ability to slide.

i agree with him... i also really like sand sharks. for my bike, being that i can hit the powerband and break the tires loose any time i want, i prefer the sand stars... but ive ridden raptors with sand stars and raptors with sand sharks, and hands down i prefer the sand shark over the sand star for the 4 strokes... you feel a lot less tippy with them, and they arent too expensive...

i would reccomend them for a 400ex...