PDA

View Full Version : Which exhaust tips should i get for my truck

rockman
09-12-2006, 10:15 AM
I have a 98 chevy. 5.7 vortec. I'm getting 2.5" all the way from the cats tomorrow. I still haven't decided what tips to get. Any suggestions. I want something that sounds good, not necessarily loud. Its already going to be loud without mufflers.

underpowered
09-12-2006, 10:26 AM
tips wont make it louder, but it will change the tone slightly. a larger/longer tip will give you a deeper sound where a short/small tip will not really affect sound over just pipes. where the tails exit has alot to do with teh sound as well. straight out the back, 45 out the corners, 90 out the side, both tips on one side, just one pipe will all alter the sound to a degree.

personally i would get 18" long, 3.5" dia. tips at 45 out the corners..

rockman
09-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Well the exhaust is going to exit out the back on either side of my tow hitch. Yeah i want to know how much of a difference the tone is with say like a 3.5 inch and 4 inch. I am thinking about going with 3.5 inch in like a 18 inch or so.

underpowered
09-12-2006, 10:56 AM
BTW get stainless tips, Only way to go. Chrome rust very easily and gets pitted after a whort time. stailess is much easier to take care of and looks just as good

rockman
09-12-2006, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by underpowered
BTW get stainless tips, Only way to go. Chrome rust very easily and gets pitted after a whort time. stailess is much easier to take care of and looks just as good
Yeah I've heard horror stories about chrome tips. No way i would go anything but Stainless.

Slinky
09-12-2006, 01:50 PM
unless your running a 600hp race motor in it, put mufflers on it....your gonna lose performance by running without mufflers. Do flowmaster 40 series if you want loud and it will sound so much better than straight pipe!....and yeah go with stainless tips, they'll never rust.

rockman
09-12-2006, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Slinky
unless your running a 600hp race motor in it, put mufflers on it....your gonna lose performance by running without mufflers. Do flowmaster 40 series if you want loud and it will sound so much better than straight pipe!....and yeah go with stainless tips, they'll never rust.

I don't like flowmasters, all the ones i have heard sound like crap. Oh and i went ahead and got 3.5 inch by 18 inch stainless with 15 degree rolled edge slash

Slinky
09-12-2006, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by rockman
I don't like flowmasters, all the ones i have heard sound like crap. Oh and i went ahead and got 3.5 inch by 18 inch stainless with 15 degree rolled edge slash
only flowmaster i've heard that sounded like crap was on a ricer....i had flowmaster on my 97 gmc with a 5.7, my cousin had one on his 98 chevy, and a bunch of other friends had had them on numerous other vehicles...they will always sound better then a crackling straight pipe exhaust.

rockman
09-12-2006, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Slinky
only flowmaster i've heard that sounded like crap was on a ricer....i had flowmaster on my 97 gmc with a 5.7, my cousin had one on his 98 chevy, and a bunch of other friends had had them on numerous other vehicles...they will always sound better then a crackling straight pipe exhaust.
I'll have to see how it sounds. If its too loud i will get mufflers, which it will most likely be. But for now straight is fine.

ShiftFMX
09-12-2006, 03:25 PM
If you can, get 4" Stainless steel tips. Angled out at 45 degrees. My cousin has a 5.7 with glasspacks and 4" tips and it sounds like heaven, lol. Heres mine with the 4" tips. I now have 3.5" because the 4" got all rusted because they were chrome.

00tn300ex
09-12-2006, 07:45 PM
if your leaving the cat on it itll be fine.on the tips my preference is on a 2 wheel drive i put turndowns right before the axle.Pavement kinda resonates the sound.If you do put tips please put the ones with the rolled edge.i would hate to see someone get their leg cut off

rockman
09-12-2006, 07:59 PM
its a 4 wheel drive and they are coming straight out the back with 3.5 inch rolled at 15 degree cut.

00tn300ex
09-12-2006, 08:03 PM
just had the same thing put on my 94 last week.except i put flowmasters on

coolex
01-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by ShiftFMX
If you can, get 4" Stainless steel tips. Angled out at 45 degrees. My cousin has a 5.7 with glasspacks and 4" tips and it sounds like heaven, lol. Heres mine with the 4" tips. I now have 3.5" because the 4" got all rusted because they were chrome.

i know its a old thread but figured id just post instead of starting a new thread,

shift mx, u said u cousin has glasspacks with 4 " tips, but does he have a catelyctic (SP) converter prob not but just wonderig thanks