PDA

View Full Version : XC racing

pineway
09-12-2006, 07:54 AM
Does anyone here race the LTR 450 in Xc races? I am looking at getting one but it sits real wide. How does it feel riding through the woods? I dont wanna buy it and have to slow down every time i come between two trees. Let me know what you guys think? Thanks.

gbcap
09-12-2006, 10:12 AM
most people racing them in xc narrow them down alot before racing them hard core. you can compete stock but it better be a wide track or you will slow down alot.

Derno24
09-12-2006, 10:22 AM
Hmmmm I have one and have raced it in stock form, but I have since added -1 a-arms. I however have not done anything to the rear and haven't had a problem yet. It all depends on how nasty it gets. In district 6 I don't think there is anything that tight anymore, but at some of the tighter GNCC races yeah.

pineway
09-12-2006, 11:16 AM
yeah the main series im gonna be running is the AGP, and district 6, Derno, did you use the stock shocks with your arms or get new ones? And how do you like racing it?

gbcap
09-12-2006, 11:22 AM
to narrow the rear alot of people are getting 400ex hubs...switching the studs and putting them on the axle badwards. i would suggest narrowing it down a little bit. 46-48 inches seems to be the magical number. most people i have talked to really enjoy that bike in the woods just a tad narrower then stock. not too much tho.

pineway
09-12-2006, 11:44 AM
What are the wheel sizes? I was thinking i would just get maybe a pair of hipers with a different offset to narrow it up some maybe an inch or two. Thanks for all the quick replies.

Luecker
09-12-2006, 07:55 PM
GT Thunder has an XC package that includes narrower a-arms that will put it at 46.5" wide with Hiper 4-1 offset rims, rebuilt front and rear shocks, and a new linkage for $1200.

ATV Four Play -1" a-arms that have very good ground clearance and use the stock shocks for $850.

Lonestar has -1" a-arms available but you will need to buy Axis or Elka shocks to use them.

Personally I am going to be using the new Sonic Offroad IRS in the rear and their yet to be released a-arms for the front. Going to run Fox Float X evols on all 4 corners. With this setup it will be 46" wide in front and back with mucho ground clearance.

I also am hoping that Rath Racing will make some parts for XC as well. There nerfs are a little on the wide side for XC. Front bumper needs to have stronger mounts and the rear grab bar needs some handles on the side of it.

firefighterjosh
09-12-2006, 08:12 PM
My friend raced on at a XC race. There was only one narrow spot. He had problems getting hung up in the ruts. He did end up 1st place.

pineway
09-12-2006, 09:52 PM
Thanks for all of the replies.

Derno24
09-13-2006, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by pineway
yeah the main series im gonna be running is the AGP, and district 6, Derno, did you use the stock shocks with your arms or get new ones? And how do you like racing it?

Well I started running stock everything the fronts could be adjusted ok to work, but a revalve would be nice. I have since switched to Stadium Shocks which I must say are pretty sweet, but expensive.

All the stuff in the AGP is rideable in stock form as I have yet to narrow the back end at all. I have never heard of the 400ex hub thing, but I have a set of z400 hubs I haven't put on yet. Honestly haven't needed too. I have been running mostly AGP this year with a couple Dist 6's mixed in.

If you need to see the quad you only live a little bit from me. I live in Bensalem. Oh I have -1 Burgard a-arms.

pineway
09-13-2006, 05:16 PM
Thanks for all of the replies, I actually went out and got it last night. Derno are you going to the AGP race or Rausch this weekend? I think im gonna go and race it at the AGP race, so it should be a good time.

Derno24
09-14-2006, 05:50 AM
Thanks for all of the replies, I actually went out and got it last night. Derno are you going to the AGP race or Rausch this weekend? I think im gonna go and race it at the AGP race, so it should be a good time.

Where did you buy it from? I can't go to either this weekend I have to work, but I was planning on the AGP. Did you get skid plates?

pineway
09-14-2006, 08:20 AM
I bought it from Bromleys in Trevose. It came with skid plates on it. They gave me a pretty good deal on it. Im probably going to the AGP race this weekend, so if you somehow get a chance to go theres a good chance ill be up there. Its a white 450 and i drive a red 4 door ford 350.

Luecker
09-14-2006, 05:09 PM
I seen on another site that the AGP race is cancelled for this weekend because of a district 6 race being held in Rausch Creek.

Derno24
09-15-2006, 03:22 AM
I bought it from Bromleys in Trevose. It came with skid plates on it. They gave me a pretty good deal on it. Im probably going to the AGP race this weekend, so if you somehow get a chance to go theres a good chance ill be up there. Its a white 450 and i drive a red 4 door ford 350.

Stock skids or aftermarket? The stockers won't cut it. Just don't want to see you destroy your new toy.

I bought mine from Bromley's too. I live about 15 mins from them. Luecker is right the AGP is canceled due to the rausch race. I have to work, but will be taking it to Unadilla next weekend.:D

pineway
09-15-2006, 07:16 AM
No there aftermarket, yeah i saw that the agp was canceled. Did you hear anything about the track at Unidilla, like how wide the track is? I know part of it is on the Mx track.

Derno24
09-15-2006, 07:29 AM
I ran unadilla last year. Nothing was super tight. You should be ok as long as they didn't add anything new. You also should be ok at Rausch as I ran a 48" wide Cannondale there last year. There will be some tight sections, but you can clear them.

cletusEX
09-15-2006, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Derno24
I ran unadilla last year. Nothing was super tight. You should be ok as long as they didn't add anything new. You also should be ok at Rausch as I ran a 48" wide Cannondale there last year. There will be some tight sections, but you can clear them.

Unadilla had some tight sections. That old railroad bed was pretty tight, isn't that where Borich ripped his spindle apart.

Derno24
09-15-2006, 09:26 AM
Yeah it was tight, but not impossible with a 48" width quad though. From what I heard yeah that is the area. Last tree gap was the only real tight spot. Rest of the course wasn't tight at all. Even the hilly area wasn't too bad. Just to make it fair I am not narrowing the rear of my quad. I am running my suzuki there.

KWAD GAWD
09-18-2006, 08:57 AM
My LTR is 47.5" stock.

igmif
01-09-2007, 06:22 AM
OK, I need to retire my trusty EX. I love the potential of the LTR... So ... I'm wondering if I put Hiper 4+1 wheels on the front with stock a-arms if that will truely narrow the front 2 inches.

Has anyone tried to race these bad boys XC one day and MX the next???? I thought maybe, if I equiped Fox Evols and had two sets of wheels, that I could change the witdh and shocks to suit.

I don't wanna spend thousands of $$$ and end up limiting my style.

01-15-2007, 07:09 AM
IM A
BANNED MORON:rolleyes:

Johnny_G
01-24-2007, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Luecker
GT Thunder has an XC package that includes narrower a-arms that will put it at 46.5" wide with Hiper 4-1 offset rims, rebuilt front and rear shocks, and a new linkage for $1200.

ATV Four Play -1" a-arms that have very good ground clearance and use the stock shocks for $850.

Lonestar has -1" a-arms available but you will need to buy Axis or Elka shocks to use them.

Personally I am going to be using the new Sonic Offroad IRS in the rear and their yet to be released a-arms for the front. Going to run Fox Float X evols on all 4 corners. With this setup it will be 46" wide in front and back with mucho ground clearance.

I also am hoping that Rath Racing will make some parts for XC as well. There nerfs are a little on the wide side for XC. Front bumper needs to have stronger mounts and the rear grab bar needs some handles on the side of it.

Just so you know Lonestar is currently updating their shock specs for their LTR DC4 XC a-arms. I spent the weekend testing with Bill Ballance, and we found that you can use the stock shocks with these arms if you lengthen the extended length 1/4 inch. Any good suspension place would be able to revalve/respring, and lengthen your stock shocks (although I would recommend GT-thunder) but this will save you big money over buying aftermarket shocks.