PDA

View Full Version : Airbox Removal?

baker450r
09-12-2006, 12:31 AM
I have a bone stock 2005 450r. Is it a good idea to remove the whole airbox or just remove the lid? Then what filter is the best to use. I am new to doing any mods and just need some help on what to do. After the airbox what is the next thing I should do? Any help would be appreciated.

firefighterjosh
09-12-2006, 12:36 AM
Do you have the HRC kit from Honda? If not I would get it. It includes, cam, Airbox Mod (replacing lid), exhaulst mod and jetted. They do all the work and last time I check it was $300. It made a huge diffrence on my buds 450r.

O yea and it is still under warranty:D

QuadJunkies
09-12-2006, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
Do you have the HRC kit from Honda? If not I would get it. It includes, cam, Airbox Mod (replacing lid), exhaulst mod and jetted. They do all the work and last time I check it was $300. It made a huge diffrence on my buds 450r.

O yea and it is still under warranty:D

agreed. It is a great investment

baker450r
09-12-2006, 11:34 AM
Are the kits easy to install, or is it best to have a shop do it. I am not very mechanically inclined, I can change the oil just fine, but I do not know much more then that. I was also told the HRC kit for the '05 was just the new cam, is that true?Thanks for the help.

QuadJunkies
09-12-2006, 11:40 AM
If a shop does it, you will be warrentied. Most warrenties void if you do the labor yourself.

gbcap
09-12-2006, 11:47 AM
you can remove the air box....but style riding do you do? unless your dragging or duning only i wouldn't suggest it. otherwise taking the lid off is a MAJOR boost in power, but you have to rejet the carb.

there are a few small things they do along with the hrc kit, exhuast tip, breather t, airbox lid, jetting and then the cam.

i would suggest having a shop do it so you make sure the stuff is right. unless you have a buddy that has turned a few wrenches before. it isn't too hard to do but you need to have some mechanical knowledge since your taking the valve cover off and taking the timing chain off the cam and all.

but they are going to rip you for labor. i would say you would spend 500-750 for the kit and labor depending on where you go. but the power gain is worth it.

baker450r
09-12-2006, 11:50 AM
Are the kits easy to install, or is it best to have a shop do it. I am not very mechanically inclined, I can change the oil just fine, but I do not know much more then that. I was also told the HRC kit for the '05 was just the new cam, is that true?Thanks for the help.

GPracer2500
09-12-2006, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
If a shop does it, you will be warrentied. Most warrenties void if you do the labor yourself.

Not true at all. Your warranty is unaffected if you do labor yourself.

Originally posted by baker450r

If you can re-shim the valves then a cam install is very do-able. If you're uncomfortable with a valve adjust then having a shop do the install might be a better choice. On the other hand, buying a service manual and rolling up your sleeves is a good way to learn to be your own mechanic.

The 04/05 HRC kit comes with an exhaust tip, cam, new airbox lid and "snorkel", crankcase breather fitting, some jets, and a manual.

http://www.hrcusa.com/images/trx450r-hrc-power-up-kit.jpg

In my mind, the HRC kit (or equivalent parts from the aftermaket) is a must for any TRX450er/r.

QuadJunkies
09-12-2006, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Not true at all. Your warranty is unaffected if you do labor yourself.

Thats what the shop told us .As I stated, MOST warrenties will void, I didnt state ALL We ran into this with Polaris recall warrenty parts,thats why I stated that ;)

It doesnt hurt to call direct to know for sure I guess.

QuadJunkies
09-12-2006, 12:40 PM
We didnt used to be either at one time... IMO its best to learn the most you can about your machine, then do the work yourself. At least when you do it, you know whats been done! :p
Do you have a service manual yet?

baker450r
09-12-2006, 12:46 PM
I downloaded it off this forum. I bought this quad used and did not get one with it. Does the warranty transfer to me? Thanks

QuadJunkies
09-12-2006, 12:59 PM
I downloaded it off this forum. I bought this quad used and did not get one with it. Does the warranty transfer to me? Thanks
I cant say for sure, you would have to call honda on that one,Im guessing probably not.

Do you have someone that has knowledge that can install if for you?

I agree with gbcap,the labor is high but at least it will be installed properly if your not comfortable doing it yourself ;)

GPracer2500
09-12-2006, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Thats what the shop told us .As I stated, MOST warrenties will void, I didnt state ALL We ran into this with Polaris recall warrenty parts,thats why I stated that ;)

It doesnt hurt to call direct to know for sure I guess.

"Thats what the shop told us..." There's the problem. ;)

I'm just saying MOST OEM vehicle warranties will NOT be void if you perform your own mechanical work--be it maintenance or the installation of aftermarket parts. It's a federal law designed to prevent the stifling of independent repair services. The only way a manufacture can get around that is if they can demonstrate to the FTC some reason why only factory trained technicians are capable of performing service (a very rare case). Or, the manufacture provides services for free.

Also, our warranties cover each part individually. It's not all or nothing. In other words, if a person installs an HRC kit and screws up the install which causes something to fail, then the only parts affected are those parts that failed. The rest of the machine's warranty is still intact.

Dealers love to mislead people about warranties because they like it when folks think they are tied to them for service or that a warranty is void for some reason. Hell, plenty of dealers probably don't know the laws anyway....

Look it up. It's called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

QuadJunkies
09-12-2006, 11:33 PM
thats Good to know...

Our shop(which is also a sponsor) gave us the option to install ourselves or have them do it, we asked them to go ahead to make sure we didnt cross any lines on the warrenty.They are very good to us,so I dont feel bad having them install ours.either way, it was covered in there eyes, we just felt better doing it this way so there was no loop holes.

I dont think most people know of this .... How hard is it for someone to inforce if indeed something was to go wrong and warrenty needed to be used???Just curious.

firefighterjosh
09-12-2006, 11:44 PM
If you do still have a warranty I would have the shop do the labor. When my friend had his 450 done they asked if he wanted to rebuild or if he wanted them. He told them they could do it. After a month it blew up due to lean jetting. Since the shop did it they fixed it for free. It blew up 2 more times (crank brearing though) and honda took care of it everytime.

Its hard for Honda to go back on you if you didn't do it. Now if my friend would have installed the HRC himself and the jetting was lean Honda prally wouldn't have fixed it for free.

buck naked-r
10-22-2006, 07:43 PM
:ermm:

buck naked-r
10-22-2006, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by buck naked-r
well i notice that running the airbox you seem to get more dirt on the filter..........dirt seems to build up in the box also

how many of you have looked in your box after riding and found the side and bottom of your box fill with dirt....its like the box is catching the dirt...............if the box wasn't there the dirt has no where to build up......it would just fall

ive ran my bike in a VERY muddy race and the filter only had two spots where mud hit the filter