PDA

View Full Version : Only shifts through gears if moving.

jarednfischer
09-11-2006, 11:13 PM
1987 Honda TRX250R.

I am rebuilding it from the ground up. The transmission will go through all the gears only if I rock her back and fourth. I cannot just sit still and make it through more than 1 gear without her locking solid. Its extremely weird. I thought you should be able to say be in 5th gear then come to a stop then be able to kick her down at that stop to 1st again. when the cases were split i put the tranny together again of course she would shift through all gears cleanly. now that the cases are together she technically does the same now, you would just have to rock a little to get her to go.

So essentially I am afraid when i go to ride I will be riding and come to a stop in 3rd or 4th gear then have to rock the bike back and fourth to actually get her in 1st again.

Why is she binding up like this? Has anyone ever run into this?

I dont have oil in her yet of course as the clutch cover isnt on at this time because i am hesitant to put her the rest of the way together while this is and issue.

jarednfischer
09-11-2006, 11:17 PM
Oh, the cases are now joined and she is ready to go less the fact I dont have the clutch cover on. So pretty much if this is an issue inside the case - I would have to tear her all the way down again. Grr....

wilkin250r
09-11-2006, 11:21 PM
It could be worn shift forks, or just goofy. Motorcycle transmissions don't shift all that well unless they're moving. If nothing else, you may not necessarily need to rock it, just let out the clutch a little.

I have the same problem on a 250X, it took me a couple days to get used to it, now it's second nature. It's certainly not my preferred method, but it's not the end of the world.

firefighterjosh
09-11-2006, 11:22 PM
All my quads I can not be sitting still and move through all the gears. It is normol to have to be moving or rock the quad.

RezoD
09-12-2006, 06:39 AM
Just gotta say again what these guys have. All of the quads I've ridden, you have to be either rolling to shift, or if you're stopped, rock the quad/have the clutch out slightly (you'll know how much you need it out, just keep stomping on the shifter, letting the clutch out a lil more each time, then you'll hear it click. :))

Travis

bwamos
09-12-2006, 07:32 AM
Normal on my 300ex.

exrider008
09-12-2006, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
Normal on my 300ex.

same here, my 300ex and my 400ex do it.

Colby@C&DRacing
09-12-2006, 08:02 AM
You guys are all right you can not shift a tranny through all the gears with out moving something it has to align things just right before it will shift to the next gear.

krt400ex
09-12-2006, 08:17 AM
both my ex's(in sig) have done it since day one. just let out the clutch a little until the bike feels like it wants to go and that wi let it slide into the next gear.

trick250r
09-12-2006, 08:23 AM
it did it on my 250ex, my 250r, my 450r, and our 300 ute. its normal.

NacsMXer
09-12-2006, 08:45 AM
That is absolutely normal for a manual tranny quad. You have to roll the quad or rock it to get it to shift more than one gear.

The exception is some auto clutch quads. With them, you can just sit there and file through the gears.

jarednfischer
09-12-2006, 09:02 AM
Wow. I am really surprised. Whats really weird is that it used to shift through them perfectly fine before the teardown. Hopefully it will just become second nature to me as well. Jeez, all these little things I will have to keep track of. I love my 250R but sometimes I just want to go buy a brand new 4 stroke just to avoid most issues.

CannondaleRider
09-12-2006, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by jarednfischer
I love my 250R but sometimes I just want to go buy a brand new 4 stroke just to avoid most issues.

Buying a new thumper wouldn't help out as much as you think......

jarednfischer
09-12-2006, 04:45 PM
I think that just means that no matter what you will be wrenching if you want to play.

2muchquad
09-12-2006, 09:59 PM
I think that just means that no matter what you will be wrenching if you want to play

You hit the nail on the head there.My wife thinksthat if i bought a new quad i wouldnt have to work on it,she doesnt think they can wear out or break from time to time.i wish,besides wrenching is sometimes fun plus its gets me out the house and into my shop so me and my toys can spend some quality time together.:D

jonboy
09-12-2006, 10:39 PM
Amen to that brotha!

Its no fun if you dont tear it up! Then you get to put all the go fast parts on it:D