PDA

View Full Version : Nut spinning on gas tank?

bluebaron
09-11-2006, 08:29 PM
I tried taking the bolt out of the tank that holds the fenders on, it must have been too tight and the brass piece in the plastic of the tank just spins when i put a good amout of force on it. So how can i get the bolt out, with it not spinning? any idea would be great!:(

400exrider707
09-11-2006, 08:38 PM
Ha your not the only one. I've just lived with mine so far. PITA but what can you do.

Punk'd
09-11-2006, 08:42 PM
What I did was.. Gently slipped the plastic over the bolt.. Took the fenders off so they werent in the way. Then I stripped the bolt completely out. After that I took very short screws and screwed them in the gaps left by the stripped nut. Prolly around 6-7 of them and left them in there and now its good as now.

Yes its Ghetto, but it works.

Phills450r
09-11-2006, 11:16 PM
take some pliers or something good to lock on the washer type thing and get something that can get between it on the bolt and screw it out.. someone said something about calling some number and getting a free gas tank but i tried and they gave me a bunch of BS

BAWB
09-12-2006, 05:18 AM
Use an electric drill to spin the bolt and get the brass nut out, use an exacto knife to clear the hole out enough to fill it with JB weld, let it dry for an hour or 2 and clean it out with a tap.
Then put a little anti sieze on the bolt and tighten as usual. I did it for my buddies and worked like a charm- only cost him a few beers rather then $50 for a new tank from the stealership.
happened to mine too but the dealer covered it under warranty

:D

mr.stinkyfinger
09-12-2006, 05:27 AM
Yeah use the drill to just spin the bolt and nut, it'll get hot and come right out, nut and all. Then soak the nut and bolt in wd-40 overnight. Put the nut in a vise and the bolt will back out. Clean all the oil of the nut, fill the hole in the tank with JB Weld or simalar product and insert the brass nut. Alow to harden up for 24 hours. then you should be good to go. Had the same problem with my RM. Put anti seaze on the bolt or you'll just wreng it off next time.

Coolidge
09-12-2006, 05:47 AM
I too had the same prob (2006 450er), and started a thread here on my exp. w/my Honda dealer (my bike is still under warranty). After MUCH hassle w/my dealer, then getting American Honda involved, my dealer agreed to replace tank. Anyways, Ive been riding almost every weekend, and havent had time to leave my bike w/my dealer (who I dont trust...) So, I tried this: After 'slipping' plastics off the collar/bolt, grab the outer edge of the collar w/vise grip, firmly, but dont crush it, then w/a 8mm (1/4" drive breaker or ratchet) you can break the bolt loose. Its probably the collar slightly crushed, and a over zealous Honda tech who over-torqued this stuff during assy. Use anti-seize when you re-assemble (and dont over torque). I tried other methods/suggestions that did not work, but the method I expl. here did work for me (w/no butchery to tank/plastics). Good Luck.

trick250r
09-12-2006, 08:20 AM
the dealer tightened the bolts on mine with an impact wrench... said it would take two weeks to fix. that two races bc of fender bolts being stripped... no way. i did the same thing as BAWB. works fine

CMPX3
09-13-2006, 07:39 PM
Mines the same way too!!!!!!!:eek2: Impacts and plastic don't mix!!!

honda350r
09-14-2006, 08:35 PM
I get quads in all the time with the bolt stuck in the upper tank mount..

I simply pull the fenders off with the tank! Easy as pie and no hassles!

bluebaron
09-14-2006, 09:06 PM
How do you slip the plastic over the washer without tearing or ripping it up?

Coolidge
09-15-2006, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by bluebaron
How do you slip the plastic over the washer without tearing or ripping it up?

...very carefully.

Seriously, you should be able 'shove' plastic against collar and kinda lift-alittle and pull. Again, carefully. Good Luck

casidk
09-18-2006, 03:31 AM
lots off break cleaner and then use fast gluve betvin tank and nuts thats the way
and when its ute short the bolts

bluebaron
12-05-2006, 07:43 PM
There's no way in hell im gonna be able to "slipp" the fender over, and everytime i try something different it just makes it worse. This is starting to ****ing piss me off:mad: I think im just gonna spin it out, then put some jb weld in there.
How well does this work?

ricks450
12-05-2006, 08:00 PM
WHAT BAWB SAID SOUNDS LIKE A DAMN GOOD IDEA . TRY TO FIND SOMETHING STICKS TO PLASTIC AND MATAL FOR THE BRASS INSERT. CAN,T REMEMBER RIGHT OFF IF JB STICKS TO PLASTIC. DON'T HAVE ANY ON ME.

ricks450
12-05-2006, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by ricks450
WHAT BAWB SAID SOUNDS LIKE A DAMN GOOD IDEA . TRY TO FIND SOMETHING STICKS TO PLASTIC AND MATAL FOR THE BRASS INSERT. CAN,T REMEMBER RIGHT OFF IF JB STICKS TO PLASTIC. DON'T HAVE ANY ON ME. TRY AN IMPACT. IT MIGHT SOUND CRAZY BUT THE FAST TURN AND THE SMACK THE IMPACT WILL GIVE IT. IT MIGHT SHOCK IT LOOSE. I DONE IT ON SIMILAR THANGS LIKE THAT AND IT WORKED.