PDA

View Full Version : motor swap nearly complete

Stevie-D
09-11-2006, 07:03 PM
well after letting it sit in the garage for nearly two months, i finally got the ambition to finish the motor swap that i started over a month ago. i had dropped the new motor in bout a month ago. that was the easy part:rolleyes: once i tried bolting up the flexplate to the torque convertor, i found out that the one on the new motor didnt line up. so i got sick of it and let it sit.
well between work and running two cars in the demo derby down at the local fair, i havent had time to tak a ****. so it's sat for a while now
all the while all of the guys i go to for advice told me that i was crazy and stupid, and that the flexplates are all the same. my trucks a 93. turns out the flexplate that bolts up to the convertor in my truck was out of a 96. im assuming that when i had the tranny rebuilt...not only did he not torque down or loctite any bolts, he switched torque convertors on me too. 3 of the bellhousing bolts were finger tight when i pulled the motor:huh. you can imagine the conversation i had with the guy when i found that out. then again when he lied to me and told me that the convertor was the original 93.

so finally i found the right flexplate.. and started putting it all back together. needed new braided steel fuel lines...went to the local napa, where i was told that they dont know what i'm talking about, and they cant get them. so i have the old ones in for now. gotta call the dealer sometime next week.

got home early from work and spent the rest of the day finishing it up. got it to fire..not sure if the timing is off, or some vacuum lines are hooked up wrong..but it's running like ****. friend of mines gonna stop by tomorrow and we're gonna figure it out.

definately been the project from hell though. now that i have it done, i can start putting my suspension lift in.

by the way, the trucks a 93 ram 150 short bed 4x4. 318 mated to a 727.

SGA
09-11-2006, 09:47 PM
Im not gonna lie, youve had some s***ty luck with that truck from day one!
But... its gonna be a nice truck when youre done with it.

Stevie-D
09-12-2006, 03:08 PM
you ain't kidding! i've already had the tranny rebuilt twice, and put another motor in it. and i've only had the damn thing since march!
i'm heading out to the garage now to see if i can get it running right. im 99% sure the firing order is correct. timing? vacuum lines possibly? the damn vacuum line diagram in the chilton book is about worthless..im going to look at a friends truck and see if i can figure out where everything goes.

can't wait til i put the suspension lift in it. i had a jury rigged lift in the dakota i used to have. hahaha...made a set of 2" blocks for the rear out of 2x4 steel and boxed them in. cranked the torsion bars up front.chinese: :D its nice to have a lift that aint going to ruin my truck:)
the springs i have for up front are 3/4 ton springs. just blocks and helper springs in the back for now. i'll see how i like the blocks in back..might just order a set of 3/4 ton rear springs for it.

first things first though:D:

Rip_Tear
09-12-2006, 04:47 PM
Looks and sounds sweet! Definately get some better pics!

"If you can't Dodge it, RAM IT!"

Stevie-D
09-12-2006, 07:12 PM
well i figured out what was wrong...

i said that i was 99% sure the firing order was correct...well that 1% kicked me in the arse this time. had the right firing order - 18436572...but i started on the wrong post on the distributor cap. got the wires switched, and she runs like a champ.
still have to bolt the exhaust back together at the collectors, hook up my tranny cooler lines and radiator hoses...and the motor is DONE.

the only thing holding me up until tomorrow is a darned u-joint. it never fails that whenever i pull a driveshaft i drop one of the caps and the needle bearings fall out of it. gonna pick up a new one tomorrow and take it out for a test drive.

i have some better pictures on my phone..i'll find some service for the darn thing tomorrow and get better shots up..even a few engine shots.

i've still got a few more tricks up my sleave...i'll save the details for a later date though:macho

Stevie-D
09-12-2006, 07:19 PM
heres one more picture i found on the computer of it. i've got the bedcover off of it for now so it didnt become a workbench in the garage and get scratched to hell. i've got a lightbar/headache rack that i made for a friend of mine last year. he has since wrecked the truck it was on..so i might throw it on mine. problem is, i install kitchens and interior trim for a living. cant let thousands of dollars in tools sit out in the bed of my truck :p so it looks like the covers going back on.http://myspace-347.vo.llnwd.net/01035/74/35/1035855347_l.jpg