PDA

View Full Version : Can you guys help me?

Blue250X
09-11-2006, 04:22 PM
Alright, there are some kids in my school that think they know everything there is to know about fourwheelers. And i said they shouldnt run car motor oil in it, because thats what ive heard, can anyone give me some details on why you shouldnt run car oil? they were bein smart assed and sayin that you can use car oil in a fourwheeler engine because its engine oil any help appriciated

knelson
09-11-2006, 04:40 PM
sorry buddy, motor oil has many different names,additives,weights,etc.. but in the end it is still motor oil. There is motor cycle oil for higher reving motors (mostly synthetic) that will lube BETTER. Can you run regular shell brand 10/30 in your new 450, sure it will run, probably for a long time if changed frequently. Would I run it? probably not. Would I run it in a old 250 farm quad? yes!
You may have bit off more than you chew ( maybe you can tell them you were meaning a 2 stroke quad, Where as you would use tcw3 or similar oil <--not motor oil)

Honda400exrox
09-11-2006, 05:14 PM
We run canadian tire 10w30 motor oil in our quad and it works fine

09-11-2006, 05:18 PM
I run car oils in all my quads and bikes...
Because I'm not paying no 7 bucks for ATV oil:eek2:

Blue250X
09-11-2006, 05:25 PM
so, any old motor oil for cars would be the same as for example something like yamalube?

Honda400exrox
09-11-2006, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Blue250X
so, any old motor oil for cars would be the same as for example something like yamalube?

Its just oil dude, get over yourself, just admit you were wrong and be the bigger man:rolleyes:

and why pay more for the same oil, we have been running canadian tire oil in our quad and it hasnt hurt it, infact none of my friends use quad oils we all use car oil THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE

Blue250X
09-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Honda400exrox
Its just oil dude, get over yourself, just admit you were wrong and be the bigger man:rolleyes:

and why pay more for the same oil, we have been running canadian tire oil in our quad and it hasnt hurt it, infact none of my friends use quad oils we all use car oil THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE

geeze man, settle down:rolleyes: i kno im wrong, dont worry about it, it wasnt like we got into a fist fight about it or anything, just a 10 sec arguement

GPracer2500
09-11-2006, 05:37 PM
AFAIK, the big difference is that car motor oils are not typically designed for vehicles with wet clutches (like found in most ATV engines). Car/truck engine oils have additives called friction modifiers that are generally not compatable with wet clutches (a wet clutch is a clutch bathed in the same oil as the rest of the engine). Most motorcycle/ATV specific oils don't have friction modifiers for this reason.

GPracer2500
09-11-2006, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Honda400exrox
...THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE

Not technically true. Your ATV clutches may be tolerant to the presence of friction modifiers but try putting a car oil in a 125hp motorcycle with a wet clutch and the results may be different.

There is a difference.