PDA

View Full Version : sand tires??

hardcoreclown33
09-11-2006, 02:32 PM
i have a 06 450er and im taking a trip to glamis in feb. i live in mass. so i have no idea what to run for tires. can any1 help me out with what kind of paddles to run. what do i want in the back or in the front what sizes should i be runing. also what rims i should get i was looking at the itp c-series rims cuz there pretty cheap but i noticed there cast and whas kinda woried about them cracking. also should i sprocket differently. any info on this would greatly be appreciated. and does any1 have any good places to get deals on tires cuz i would like to kinda stay on a budget

hill43
09-11-2006, 04:01 PM
The best " all around tire " for the money is the ITP sand star works great and not too bad on money and dont be afraid of the ITP cast wheels in sand you wont have any problems.

CHEVYZ
09-11-2006, 04:20 PM
Depends on how you want to ride it. For drag racing and performance, nothing compares to Haulers IMO. In that case, a set of 8 paddle Hauler Extremes would be just right. On the other hand if you want to do alot of carving and aren't quite as concerned about performance in the drags, the Sand Stars are for you. I have ridden on quite a few, and those two seem to work the best. Stock 06 sprockets tend to do pretty well.

As for rims, get a set of Douglas rims. Again,. acoording to what you are gonna do, pick a rim to fi your style and the strength you will need. For example, the Blue Labels are extremely light and work well for drag racing. Please do not get the c-series, I am sorry, but they are the heaviest, crappiest rims I have yet to put on my bike for the sand. In the trails they would do fairly well... but I would not put them on a set of paddles. Please, if you go down that road, buy mine.

hardcoreclown33
09-12-2006, 12:52 PM
thanx for the help i think i might get a set of sand stars any help on what size i should get for both front and rear

jsmith2232
09-13-2006, 09:21 AM
I got a set of ITP sand stars and love them, I went with the c-series rim, I think it's quite heavy, with my razr II's i went with itp T9-Pro series rims, If i were to get new paddles Id go with the T9 rim and sand stars

wilkin250r
09-14-2006, 03:17 PM
It depends on how much sand you plan on riding, because it weighs heavily on how much money you plan to throw at this. You don't need the best and most expensive if this is your only trip.

Sand generally doesn't have a lot of huge impacts, so a simple aluminum wheel will work fine. The cheapest are Douglas Blue Label, which are .125 thickness. Me, personally, I think that's a little thin, and it's well worth the extra couple bucks to upgrade to the Douglas Black label, which are 0.160 thickness, but that's really as far as you need to upgrade. They are much cheaper than the C-series, and lighter.

If you don't plan on riding a LOT of sand, just get the rears. Also, just go cheap. Sandstars aren't bad, but there are cheaper tires out there that will perform just fine.

04TRX400EX
09-16-2006, 12:29 AM
I agree with what he ^^^^^ said. For wheels, get some Douglas. I went with the Black Label .160" thick wheels because they were very little more than the Blue Label .125" wheels and I didn't want to have to worry about them possibly bending. As for tires, I have GBC Sand Sharks in the rear and Dune Trackers in the front. They are basically a cheaper replica of the ITP Sand Stars, but they worked perfectly fine. Sand Stars get the most attention and are probably the best overall sand tire. As has been mentioned before, what you plan on doing at Glamis will determine what type of tire you should buy. If all you are doing in drag racing, a straight-paddle tire like a Hauler is the way to go. If you are actually going to ride the dunes however, you will definitely want a v-paddle design like a Sand Star.

I went to the dunes for the first time back in March. I had a lot of fun but I recommend a couple of things. One, definitely go down at least one tooth on the front sprocket. You will hardly use, if ever, 5th gear so the top-end loss is not important but sand steals power like no other, so the increased low-end is totally necessary and appreciated. Second, run low air pressure in the tires. I was running like 4.5lbs. and it was way too much. When I go back I am going to run about 3lbs. max. You need the tires to hook-up with the sand, not skim across the top. Third, if you have suspension adjustability options, setup the shocks to a soft setting because you will most likely hit razorbacks and drop-offs while riding and they will jar the crap out of you. Almost broke both my wrists within 20 minutes of riding.

CannondaleRider
09-16-2006, 12:43 AM
What trail tires do you have?

The reason I ask, i've rode Glamis for a weekend on Razr 2's, and they did just fine. Couldn't make it up a few of the hills, but as long as you are a good rider, you should have no problems with a trail tire.

The last round of the 2006 WORCS Series next month is in Pismo. You race down the beach, and in the dunes, no paddles allowed...so obviously, Paddles arn't a requirement for sand

Just something to consider;)

04TRX400EX
09-16-2006, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by CannondaleRider
What trail tires do you have?

...so obviously, Paddles arn't a requirement for sand

Just something to consider;)

Good point. You don't need sand tires at the dunes but they do make things a little easier. When I went out last March, my buddy rode with stock fronts and Razr rears and did fine.

roundsy
09-18-2006, 01:36 PM
im going to be getting ams zippers this winter for in the snow and im planning a trip to Silver Lake in the spring, since its only a trip im just gonna use them and bring my trail tires...as far as gearing im going down to a 12 tooth because the zippers are 22's and ive heard a lot about losing power in the sand...also its your quad and your money, so buy as expense or cheap as you want, just dont regret it later