PDA

View Full Version : quad smoking

QuadRacer18
09-11-2006, 09:03 AM
I just bought a 400ex with a 416 kit and a port and polish, the airlid is also removed. I rode the quad for about 20mins and then put it away. I took the snorkel off before riding it agao and when i went riding the next time the quad smokes white smoke. Can this be the jetting(too much air) let me know what you guys think... it still has tons of power!

GPracer2500
09-11-2006, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by QuadRacer18
I just bought a 400ex with a 416 kit and a port and polish, the airlid is also removed. I rode the quad for about 20mins and then put it away. I took the snorkel off before riding it agao and when i went riding the next time the quad smokes white smoke. Can this be the jetting(too much air) let me know what you guys think... it still has tons of power!

With the airbox lid removed the snorkel being on or off doesn't make much difference.

Way too rich jetting causes blackish colored smoke. Lean jetting doesn't directly create any smoke. Most likely you're burning oil.

QuadRacer18
09-11-2006, 08:34 PM
would the only way to tell be by checking the compression or is there another way ( i dont have a compression tester) I think it may be my valve seals because the quad has lots of power.

QuadRacer18
09-11-2006, 08:43 PM
could this have anything to do with my valve adjustment. The guy i bought it off of said the valves would need adjusting

QuadRacer18
09-13-2006, 06:13 AM
bump

QuadRacer18
09-14-2006, 08:19 PM
could this have anything to do with my valve adjustment. The guy i bought it off of said the valves would need adjusting
bump

GPracer2500
09-14-2006, 09:29 PM
Checking the valve clearence is a good idea no matter what. It's part of normal maintenance. Valves being out of adjustment doesn't generally cause smoking.

A leakdown test would give you the most information. That will tell you if the cylinder is holding compression and if not were it's leaking. A standard compression test might tell you something, but not as much.

If you're seeing smoke that looks whitish and/or blueish then you're almost certainly burning oil. I suppose there could be water in the gas tank but then the smoke would likely be sporatic and accompanied by rough running.